More threads by Auburn

Auburn

I can't turn my brain off. I had to finally call Dave at work just to hear his voice. Sunday nights are always bad, his first nite of the week, but tonite it just won't let me rest. I have to keep fighting off the images, and the anxiety I can feel creeping in. Even typing didn't help me much tonite. Not sure what brought this on but it is the worst it has been recently. I just needed to hear his voice. I know he wants to come home, but I told him no. We have to find other ways to combat this. He is going to phone me on his lunch. Being without him makes me anxious, but I can usually get through it. This is the first time I have had to call him. I didn't want him to worry, but I had to hear his voice. I feel like such a damn child, makes me angry, makes me cry and makes me want to just scream. I know it will get better, but at this moment, that isn't much consolation.

ThatLady

Do you have a prescription to take when these sleepless nights are sapping your strength, Auburn? That might be something you should talk to your doctor about. If you're already taking something, it may have quite working and it's time to try something new. That's a problem that occurs with many sleeping aids, and is usually rectified by a change in medication. :hug:

Last edited:

Auburn

I always worry about taking sleeping aids, I have three kids and wonder if I would wake up if they need me. But, I think I will ask my doctor about it, there has to be something that will help. Thanks ThatLady I am tired today, and feeling a bit weepy. Thankfully I don't have to work. But I know Dave worried all night, that makes me feel bad. I hate worrying him.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It doesn't have to be something to knock you out - just something to slow you (your thoughts) down a bit so you can fall asleep on your own.

Auburn

I will ask my doctor, thanks to you both. I have company tonite, so I know it won't be as bad tonite. Just hearing Dave's voice helped ease the anxiety. Sounds so silly when I say it outloud. But, it did.

Halo

Auburn,

I don't think that it is silly at all. I know for me personally that there is a certain persons voicemail that I call at times when I am distressed knowing that I will get to hear their voice and somehow it does calm me down. I use to be ashamed to tell people that I did this but then realized that everyone does what makes them feel better to help calm and relax them and for me at this time it is to hear this persons voice. No shame in that.

I hope you enjoy your company :)

Auburn

Gawd, Nancy, you just made me cry! Geez! :) Thank you, it is good to know I am not alone with my needs in this. And as much as I know I am not, when you are in the moment, that is just how you feel. I am ashamed, even though there is no reason to be. I am trying to shake these ridiculous notions, but it isn't an easy task. Thank you again hun, so very much.

auburn, would it be of any value to you if you had a recording of dave's voice you could play any time you were missing him but don't want to worry him? you guys could record a message on the computer, maybe there are certain things he says that calm you down that he could just record. if it's purely about his voice, then of course he can say anything :) up to you guys really what you record for you to listen to. you could have multiple messages too, a new one each week or whatever you feel is right. just a thought that popped into my mind, i hope this might be something that could work for you.

Auburn

Hi ladybug! Dave has told his work that I may need to phone periodically for now, and they understand, which shocks me, but I am grateful. They weren't very supportive when everything happened. At least I know if I need to hear his voice I can. That alone seems to give me comfort. And now, he calls each nite just in case. He is such a wonderful husband, and I am such a lucky woman. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and your concern and your loving words.

that's really great news auburn! i am glad that this is no longer a problem.

i was wondering what kind of therapy you guys are doing. i've heard of emdr, not sure if that's something you know about, but it's supposed to be very effective for healing from traumatic experiences. just thought i'd throw the idea out there.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.