More threads by lammers1980

Hi everybody,

My name is Steve and I am a returning member to these forums from wayyyyyy back when. Wow, there sure have been a lot of changes in this site since 2004 or so.

I've also gone through a lot of changes myself. Back when I was here before, as stevel, I used to hang out in the OCD section, but since then my obsessive tendencies have been more or less been taken care of.

Over the last two years I've gone through a lot (several mental-health related hospitalizations), a multitude of doctors and several "theories" over what label I should wear, it seems that the most appropriate issues in my life are bipolar disorder, ADHD and some might say borderline, borderline personality disorder, but I think this last one was a wastebasket diagnosis given to me by a doctor with whom I had compatibility issues.

That being said, I am now living on disability (ODSP), which has thankfully given me the peace of mind of knowing that next month's rent will be paid no matter what, although it wasn't an easy journey to get there by any means.

After two years of hell, which included a SEVERE episode of depression, which lasted for nine months, and a relatively shorter, but much more fun, but no less destructive, episode of mania, I have finally found a meaningful existence on this earth. I have found that volunteering with people with intellectual disabilities has given me a purposeful way of contributing to society.

I've decided to rejoin this forum so that I may connect with others who struggle like I do, and add another dimension to my life. I'm also experiencing some physical health issues that require some serious "coming to grips" and I figured what better place that here!

Re: Hello from an old and new member.

Hi welcome back i am glad you found a purpose that brings meaning to your life what a great thing you are doing.

Retired

Hello Steve and welcome back to Psychlinks. Whay physical issues are you dealing with ? Are you currently receiving maintenance therapy for the depression etc?

Well, I was recently referred to a cardiologist for elevated blood pressure. As part of the screening process, he ordered a pelvic/abdominal ultrasound to see how my kidneys are doing I assume. Well, a week after that I got a letter from the hospital saying I was scheduled to have a CT scan with contrast in that very same area. This was not originally scheduled, so I am a bit worried about that. There is a lot more to this story but that is the gist of it. I'll let you know when I know a little more about the situation. Thank you all for all the great replies. I remember this forum being a great resource and I am hoping that I will be able to contribute something to the community as it has helped me out a lot in the past.

Retired

There is a lot more to this story but that is the gist of it.

Unless and until your doctor has confirmed a diagnosis, you may be worrying needlessly, because it is not unusual that follow up diagnostic tests be made using different imaging techniques. When someting abnormal is seen, and abnormal does not necessaarily mean troublesome, the responsible action is to investigate using whatever technique is necessary to reach a conclusion.

My own experience with a similar situation involving kidneys required several imaging tests, including X-Ray, ultrasound and finally MRI. The conclusion was an abnormal collection of blood vessels that caught the attention of the physician that were ultimately nothing more than an unusual collection of blood vessels with no pathological implications.

It caused me some concern intially, but there was little point in being worried until all the facts became available.

If and when there is aproblen, then you would investigate your options to find a solution.

Unless you know some information you have not disclosed, then don't get ahead of yourself until you know more,

poohbear

Welcome back, Steve:) I think I remember your "Stevel" username from before. I've been on and off since '05.
I guess in the end, we all return to safety, huh? ;)

Looking forward to reading your posts.--Poohbear

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

SLAMOREAUX: I agree with Steve-- don't worry until after the CT and confirmation from the radiologist or cardiologist of the actual reason why it was requested.
With hypertension, it is possible that the basic xray was just not helpful enough and they need to evaluate bloodflow before
looking at medications or treatment options--for hypertension. Could be something very simple like that. If you are truly concerned, give them a call:)
Best wishes--Poohbear

Thanks a lot guys. You are right, chances are it is nothing too serious. If they thought it was, they would probably call me or something. I'm thinking it could be kidney stones, because the ultrasound tech asked me if I had a history of them, but when I asked if that is what he saw, he refused to confirm it. Perhaps because they are not allowed to say anything to patients of that sort. As far as I know kidney stones are a "pain", but not really too serious. Your assurances are very appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I did a few inquiries and found out a few details of what was found in my pelvic/abdominal ultrasound and chest ultrasound. Good news first:

-The ultrasound on my chest shows that my heart is normal and healthy in all respects.
-They also don't think it is cancer. (yay!)

Now for the troublesome news:

-They found cysts in both my kidneys
-My left ureter seems to have elevated pressure (partially ubstructed?)
-My renal pelvis is dilated
-My urine has a low specific gravity
-My bladder does not empty properly

So there you have it, that is all I know for now. I hope the cysts are simple benign cysts. I'm hoping the partial obstruction is from a kidney stone and that is not the result of Polycystic Kidney Disease because that would really suck:(! So far my urine creatinine levels seem alright so hopefully I still have many years of kidney function ahead of me.

I'll keep in touch. CT scan is tonight.

Steve

tasha

Welcome back Steve. I'm new to the forum, but it's a great place of safety, reassurance and resources. Wishing you the best with your tests, Steve.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.