More threads by Jackie

Jackie

Hello Everyone,

Just joined to look for some information to help me in my study, found this site whilst doing a search. I also suffer with Depression and PTSD but that is under control with therapy and drugs. Anyway Just wanted to say Hello to you all.

Regards Jackie:)

Jackie

Hello Ladylore and Daniel,

I'm studying Audiology its a four year course leading to a BSc. I am at the moment looking into the psychological aspects of deafness as part of a project for the course.

Regards Jackie

Halo

Hi Jackie and welcome to Psychlinks :welcome2:

I am glad that you decided to join us and I hope to see you around :wave:

Retired

Hello Jackie!

Your study of the psychological aspects of deafness sounds facinating. We'll be looking forward to your participation, and to learning more about the subject.

Does your study include the psychological implications and cultural opposition to cochlear implants?

Jackie

Does your study include the psychological implications and cultural opposition to cochlear implants?

Yes, all aspects of cochlear implants are part of my course. Next year I'm due to go on a clinical placement on a cochlear implant programme, which should be interesting! CI's and their use is a very emotive subject, especially their use in young children. I have read some very sad cases of young children being emotionally scarred and ostracised from the deaf community, because their parents made the decision for them to have an implant, these children have ended up hating their parents, who are usually but not always hearing parents. In some quarters it is seen as a form of child abuse, because it is done without the childs permission or full knowledge of all the risks both practical, physical and emotional, some feel they don't belong anywhere, not in the hearing community or the deaf community, and all the trauma that causes in later life. I wish I had more time today to discuss this with you but I have to go will be back shortly to discuss this further if you wish.

Regards Jackie

PS Thank you for your welcomes:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.