More threads by Brendon

Brendon

Let me tell you my story - I have only recently considered that I might be mentally ill and would love advice/input from others who might be more understanding than the people I work with.

I was compelled to seek out these forums after developing horrible anxiety and compulsions over the last year and a half. It started with checking the stove every time I left the house, to making sure the doors to my house were locked every time I left. I used to think this was just a weird idiosyncrasy like those that most people have, but ever since I became a graduate student in a biochem lab things have become persistently worse. I work in a lab that has VERY expensive materials. A small 0.5ml vial of enzyme can cost up to $400, and a -80degC freezer can have tens of thousands of dollars of samples in it. About two months ago my anxiety over the stove and locks at home spread to objects at work - burners, fridges, -80 and -20 freezers, etc... It has gotten to the point where if I am the last person in the lab before leaving, I have to check every flame, fridge, freezer, heating block and so on. Checking once and saying to myself that it is off doesn't work though - I can stare at a closed freezer, feel it, say to myself that it is closed, and still turn around and have a sudden surge of panic that it was left open. I also am terrified of burning down the building by leaving the burners on, and usually have to check 5 times before feeling safe.

The worst part isn't taking 30 minutes to leave the lab, it is going home and having awful visions and nightmares about showing up the next day and having the building burnt down or my boss' entire career (proteins, DNA, and cell stocks stored in a freezer) destroyed. I see them looking at me with disdain because I was the idiot who did something stupid and wasted thousands of dollars.

This all culminated in an incident in which I had a sudden feeling of panic at 2:30am, in which I was worried I had left a box of protein out at room temperature (it should be put away at -20). My rational side 100% knew I would never do that, but after rolling around in bed for 30 minutes I got up, got dressed, and walked 25 minutes to the lab just to confirm they were put away (they were!). Several incidents like this have happened and it is killing me. Everyone else in the lab goes about their normal lives making it look so easy, while I just live every day hoping I don't burn a building down or ruin an entire career.

I know that an in-person consultation with a professional is the only way to get diagnosed, but I would like to see if other people think I am truly mentally unwell - I don't want to be that person who thinks he has every disease on the planet.

I look forward to talking to you guys!

Andy

MVP
Welcome to Psychlinks Brendon! :2thumbs:

Obviously no one here can diagnose you but I think if you have concerns with your mental health then seeing a professional could not hurt. It sounds like you have a very stressful job!

It is obvious you are so very anxious the place to go is to your doctors and get assessed by a professional who knows you and all your history

It would bring you some peace of mind to have some support put in place for you so do it ok Talk to your doctor.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I dont think you are mentally unwell, it does sound like anxiety but that doesnt mean you are mentally unwell.
I do find with checking behaviours that if you really take the time to be mindful and do things in slow motion always that it reduces the need to check again. If you are really concerned you could go for some counselling for anxiety.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It's never annoying or bad to go to a professional and ask questions. It's the only way to get the right answer! :) And a label or diagnosis (when correct) is nothing but a tool to help get around the trouble we're having; and we don't necessarily have to tell others about any diagnosis or label if we don't want to, or not right away anyway. And it's no reflection on our self or our worth or anything - no more than a doctor saying: "Oh yes, it's a compound fracture" or "It's bronchitis" would be.

So it's awesome that you're willing to go and find the right answer.

Good luck with it Brendon! :)

AmZ

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree with what others have said here. I think it will do no harm and only good to go and seek some professional advice and help here.

Keep us updated !

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.