• Quote of the Day
    "People are crying up the rich and variegated plumage of the peacock, and he is himself blushing at the sight of his ugly feet."
    Sa'Di, posted by David Baxter

strwbrry

Hi,

I am basically here to learn.

I have 2 siblings who have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

One of them understands that they have an illness & willingly takes medication and is doing beautifully.

My other sibling is in a state of denial.

Things are not going really well.

I also worry, being the youngest, that I may become ill next.

Anyway that's my story.

Thanks, for reading.

strwbrry

I forgot to mention that I have dysthymia

I forgot to mention that I have dysthymia. It's pretty much adding to my confusion - a lot of depressive and pre-schizophrenia symptoms are similar - poor memory - not being sociable.

Thanks again.l

David Baxter

Administrator
As I assume you know, there is an increased risk of some form of mental disorder if a family member suffers from schizophrenia. However, it is still much less than 50-50 and even at that you are not necessarily going to develop schizophrenia yourself. For example, if you have a sibling with schizophrenia, it increases the risk for an anxiety or mood disorder.

Another factor is age. People who are diagnosed with schizophrenia generally show a history of adjustment problems and eccentricities well before they are diagnosed -- the most common scenario would be an increasing history of difficulties in later childhood and adolescence with the first diagnosis at about 19-25.

Top Bottom