More threads by gooblax

My way of deciding what tech devices to buy is extremely tedious (the TL/DR version is below).

I currently need a new phone. As of this moment, I would've spent 8+ hours researching and am no closer to a decision. The biggest decision I've made is that it's worth getting an expensive flagship type and holding onto it for as long as possible again to delay the next time I have to go through this process. Although I'm thinking 1 gen behind the latest generations just to keep the price down a little (I prefer buying outright).

There has to be a better way of doing this that isn't as tedious, but also isn't a complete stab in the dark. So how do you all decide on purchases?

____
TL/DR "My way" of deciding:
I sink hours into researching what's available, at what prices, from what stores (varying from cheaper prices at dodgy online stores, to more expensive prices at online stores that have at least proven themselves a bit more... the physical stores are usually priced out of my consideration), and what time it's going to take to get the device (delivery vs store pickup), vs what products are coming out soon and may result in a price drop, vs upcoming 'retail seasons'.

During each research session I'll open dozens of tabs, gradually making my way through them and opening more, until eventually I give up and start again the next day. If it's something that was only a passing 'yeah that'd be nice' then I often make the decision-making process too tedious to be bothered with. If it's something that I really want, I typically conduct these research sessions over a number of weeks until I finally decide how much risk/price/compromise I'm willing to accept, pull the plug, buy the thing, wait for it to arrive, and memory dump all the useless info.

GaryQ

MVP
Most people act on impulse or "I need this one it's the latest best thing". Or because someone they now got a newer one (keeping up with the Jones') I prefer to buy when something I want is on a big sale. Or if I absolutely need something.

Problem with smart phones is the deals are usually great when you get it with a plan. buying outright is so expensive and not much discounts from reliable sources. Something online could be refurbished and sold as new etc...
I had my IPhone 4s for 5 years before buying a used 5s from a friend about year and half ago. I just use it mostly for talking, texting and emailing and checking the weather so no need for a newer one.

What I find really weird with cell phones is the previous models are still as expensive as the latest ones when they come out so usually not worth getting one a generation back. Sometimes you can find a good deal from someone selling their "old" phone cause they just have to have the latest and best each time a new one comes out.

Good luck with your decision. Nothing wrong with taking forever to make up your mind. Might even come to the conclusion that the one you have is still OK for a bit.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I only buy a new phone during Black Friday when they are cheaper than usual. Like $35 for a prepaid Verizon Moto(rola) phone at Best Buy that is normally $100.

Realistically, I'm using my phone differently here whilst on this temp assignment than I would back home. I need it to accomplish work stuff, and I'm playing more pokemon go (which is the main thing behind my spec requirements). This phone just isn't up to the job anymore when in time-critical moments it can take 30s just to display the keyboard after selecting a text box. But I won't need top-notch performance when I go back home... So I'm considering 2nd tier now (particularly Samsung A8 (2018) or A5 / A7).

I don't think I could do the Black Friday thing because I'd want to prepare myself with research anyway, and it would just become extra time-constrained effort to figure out what is a good deal. But it's cool that it works for you Daniel.

I haven't even considered plans this tine because they were such terrible value 5yrs ago in Australia. I don't know if they've improved at all now. I'm reluctant to add that in as another variable tbh.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Oh, wow. That is extremely slow indeed. I would have thrown the phone in the garbage by now :)

Haha yeah, it's not like that all the time (it was much, much faster for this post, but was super slow last night for the previous post) so I keep forgiving it for awhile until the next time.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.