More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How do you get up in the morning after that kind of loss?
Sunday, April 30, 2006

NYT: Deborah Solomon interviews Carlos Fuentes

At 77, do you think much about age and mortality?

I don't think about it at all. What will come will come. I have two children who died before reaching 30, so who am I to complain about being alive?

You've had more than your share of sorrows.

Most of all not having my son around. I was very proud of him. He was a very good painter. He had hemophilia. He died six years ago. Natasha, my daughter, just died last summer.

How do you get up in the morning after that kind of loss?

You go on. You go on. You bring the person you love inside you. That is how you cope. You make him or her live within you. The whole experience I had with my children is in me. It is nowhere else I can see. I can see a photograph, I can feel sad, I can read a poem, but the experience of having them within myself is what matters.

thank you for sharing this all you can do is move on and keep the memory of the one we lost inside us this is what i must try to do with my brother i can't stay in anger and pain i have to remember him before he decided to do this.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You bring the person you love inside you. That is how you cope. You make him or her live within you. The whole experience I had with my children is in me. It is nowhere else I can see. I can see a photograph, I can feel sad, I can read a poem, but the experience of having them within myself is what matters.

This is the part that really resonates with me.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.