More threads by SS8282

SS8282

Oooh, I wish I've read your post earlier. I've already bought a couple of books and neither of them is the "7 steps". The books I got are: "The Back Doctor" by Dr. Hamilton Hall, and "Healthy Back Bible" by Dr. Stephen Reed and Penny Kendall-Reed. Oh well.

I didn't know that strengthening abdominal muscles help with back problems. Guess I should do more situps.

Which Toyota car chair did Dr. McKenzie design? I drive a Corolla.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Dr. Robin McKenzie, I later read, designed car seats for many Toyota car models....but only for cars sold in New Zealand.

I didn't know that strengthening abdominal muscles help with back problems. Guess I should do more situps.

If you don't like doing traditional situps (and few do), there are other great ways to exercise the abdominal muscles:

How to exercise your abs without crunches

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Dr. Robin McKenzie, I later read, designed car seats for many Toyota car models....but only for cars sold in New Zealand.

If you don't like doing traditional situps (and few do), there are other great ways to exercise the abdominal muscles:

How to exercise your abs without crunches

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Though she just started doing the McKenzie exercises, my mom says she likes them a lot since they provide immediate relief, much more so than the other stretching programs she learned in physical therapy. According to McKenzie, the exercises should also help prevent future back pain. The McKenzie book is definitely her favorite.

Having said that, her sciatica can only improve so much using home treatments, and so she looks forward to her steroid injection tomorrow.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Though she just started doing the McKenzie exercises, my mom says she likes them a lot since they provide immediate relief, much more so than the other stretching programs she learned in physical therapy. According to McKenzie, the exercises should also help prevent future back pain. The McKenzie book is definitely her favorite.

Having said that, her sciatica can only improve so much using home treatments, and so she looks forward to her steroid injection tomorrow.

SS8282

I've read almost half the book and have started the exercises. I like doing them, but the good feelings don't last.

Today, I went shopping. In the fitting room, my back got sore when I tried to bend to try on a pair of shorts. I almost couldnt bend at all. Wasn't the first time it happened, but it was a bit scary.

SS8282

I've read almost half the book and have started the exercises. I like doing them, but the good feelings don't last.

Today, I went shopping. In the fitting room, my back got sore when I tried to bend to try on a pair of shorts. I almost couldnt bend at all. Wasn't the first time it happened, but it was a bit scary.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
This may be a good tip in retrospect:

Do not bend forward to put on trousers, socks, shoes, etc. When bending, do so with the knees bent and not from the waist.
Instructions for Home Care for the Low Back

It's probably better to sit down when putting on shoes and clothing but that's often not an option in a fitting room. (When I put on my shoes when sitting down, it reminds me of the old TV show for children, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, where Mr. Rogers would religiously change into sneakers at the start of each show while sitting down.)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
This may be a good tip in retrospect:

Do not bend forward to put on trousers, socks, shoes, etc. When bending, do so with the knees bent and not from the waist.
Instructions for Home Care for the Low Back

It's probably better to sit down when putting on shoes and clothing but that's often not an option in a fitting room. (When I put on my shoes when sitting down, it reminds me of the old TV show for children, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, where Mr. Rogers would religiously change into sneakers at the start of each show while sitting down.)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.