• Quote of the Day
    "Hope is the thing with feathers, That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all."
    Emily Dickinson, posted by Daniel

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
I was shocked a couple months ago when an office manager at the pet hospital said he was billed almost $8,000 for his dog's orthopedic surgery on two limbs. And that was with his employee discount. If he had shopped around, I assume he could have gotten a much better price. For me, the limit would probably be $2,000 or so for a surgery on a single dog.

Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP

Complex and Emergency Care Costs​

DogsCats
Cancer$4,137$3,282
Cancer Treatment-Chemotherapy$4,000$4,000
Diabetes$2,892$1,634
Ophthalmology$319$227
Stomach Foreign Object$3,262$2,955
Broken Bone$2,371$2,257
Arthritis$724$490
Dental Disease/Periodontitis$519$768
Bladder/Urinary Tract Infection$424$1,053
Kidney Disease (feline)-$1,318
Heart Murmur$1,140$1,440

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
In general, I consider myself lucky if a vet visit, including medications, costs less than $100 for any symptom at all.

My mom has been having to take her puppy to the vet almost weekly due to various problems -- UTI, allergies, sinus infection, etc -- one after the other. She has been joking: "There goes your inheritance." :D

On the positive side, the cost of vet care makes my psychotherapy co-pays seem cheap :) My dog's swollen eye cost $167 today since that included $50 for an eye stain check. (And it could have been over $200, but I already had meloxicam for dogs at home.)

Last edited:

David Baxter

Administrator
My son's previous dog rang up a bill for over $5000 a few years back (I think the final bill was about $7000) with all sorts of fancy tests and scans (this is a vet in the city that prides itself on having all the latest greatest diagnostic equipment with the corresponding "latest greatest price tags").

They all came back negative.

They then decided to do exploratory surgery and found half a frisby stuck in his digestive track. If they had started with that instead of all the fancy tests the bill would have been just a few hundred. That's a vet no one in our family will ever use again.

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
"latest greatest price tags"

Haha! They don't have CT scanners in my county for pets and not many in Phoenix. So the most expensive things are usually surgeries at an emergency clinic, e.g:

We were quoted $8000-$13000 for surgery to take the obstruction out. After taking our puppy to our normal vet she completed the surgery and saved our puppy for $1200.

I talked to my mother today, and I found out her animal hospital in Tennessee doesn't charge for visits. There is just an annual fee of $50. They make their money from medications and procedures. Still not worth the humidity of Tennessee though :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom