More threads by David Baxter PhD

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I was shocked a couple months ago when an office manager at the pet hospital said he was billed almost $8,000 for his dog's orthopedic surgery on two limbs. And that was with his employee discount. If he had shopped around, I assume he could have gotten a much better price. For me, the limit would probably be $2,000 or so for a surgery on a single dog.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Complex and Emergency Care Costs​

DogsCats
Cancer$4,137$3,282
Cancer Treatment-Chemotherapy$4,000$4,000
Diabetes$2,892$1,634
Ophthalmology$319$227
Stomach Foreign Object$3,262$2,955
Broken Bone$2,371$2,257
Arthritis$724$490
Dental Disease/Periodontitis$519$768
Bladder/Urinary Tract Infection$424$1,053
Kidney Disease (feline)-$1,318
Heart Murmur$1,140$1,440

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In general, I consider myself lucky if a vet visit, including medications, costs less than $100 for any symptom at all.

My mom has been having to take her puppy to the vet almost weekly due to various problems -- UTI, allergies, sinus infection, etc -- one after the other. She has been joking: "There goes your inheritance." :D

On the positive side, the cost of vet care makes my psychotherapy co-pays seem cheap :) My dog's swollen eye cost $167 today since that included $50 for an eye stain check. (And it could have been over $200, but I already had meloxicam for dogs at home.)

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
My son's previous dog rang up a bill for over $5000 a few years back (I think the final bill was about $7000) with all sorts of fancy tests and scans (this is a vet in the city that prides itself on having all the latest greatest diagnostic equipment with the corresponding "latest greatest price tags").

They all came back negative.

They then decided to do exploratory surgery and found half a frisby stuck in his digestive track. If they had started with that instead of all the fancy tests the bill would have been just a few hundred. That's a vet no one in our family will ever use again.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"latest greatest price tags"

Haha! They don't have CT scanners in my county for pets and not many in Phoenix. So the most expensive things are usually surgeries at an emergency clinic, e.g:

We were quoted $8000-$13000 for surgery to take the obstruction out. After taking our puppy to our normal vet she completed the surgery and saved our puppy for $1200.

I talked to my mother today, and I found out her animal hospital in Tennessee doesn't charge for visits. There is just an annual fee of $50. They make their money from medications and procedures. Still not worth the humidity of Tennessee though :)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The prices went way up at my regular animal hospital for everything except exams. So I shopped around and found a vet that recently started a new office, and she (Dr. Baxter) was very nice and has great reviews at Google.

The bloodwork is less than half the price of the previous animal hospital. Same with dental cleanings ($320 vs. $600+), which include bloodwork. I previously went to a low-cost dental clinic. But since my senior dog is 13 years old and has chronic bronchitis, I didn't want to take any chances.

So now "Dr. Baxter" has a double meaning since that is also the name of my new, less expensive vet. The only luxury I am missing out on is the old animal hospital would always run on time since they have many vets and lots of other staff. At the new vet, the wait is about the same as my primary care doctor (30+ minutes).

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My new vet, Dr. Baxter, did not disappoint. She only charged $5 extra per extraction during my 12-year-old dachshund's dental cleaning last week. So now I will be taking all my pets there, especially since the senior/comprehensive bloodwork is only $85.

Since her prices are so low, I will be using her online pharmacy for everything I can, instead of trying to save a few dollars by going to Petco.com or Chewy.com. Part of the reason vet prices have gone up is vets have lost so much business to competing pharmacies. I remember when a vet exam was only $10 (about three decades ago).

I have even switched my own dentist recently since he has raised his prices twice already during the pandemic, despite already being more expensive than most. The new dentist does a more comfortable cleaning, anyway.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

According to a 2018 TD Ameritrade online survey of U.S. millennial pet owners, they were willing to spend up to $2,000 on average if their pet got sick, with dog owners prepared to spend more on their pets than what they expected to spend on their own healthcare.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
One thing I have noticed over the years: Vet hospitals/offices that give a free wellness exam during annual vaccines have more reasonable prices on dental cleanings, surgeries, bloodwork, etc.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My findings today after a vet visit for my dog's chronic bronchitis, which continues to be treated with oral prednisone:

Short-acting albuterol is one of several cheap oral/inhaled bronchodilators, but albuterol is more helpful for cats than dogs since cats are far more likely to have asthma.

For longer-term maintenance therapy, inhalers for pet COPD can be quite expensive, in the hundreds of dollars a month. Advair is available by generic in human pharmacies, but not as a traditional (metered-dose) inhaler (which is what pets need). Fortunately, Symbicort became available as a generic a while ago and is as low as $140 at Walgreens. If it was not for the cost, my vet would recommend the Flovent inhaler, which is what she uses herself for her own bronchitis.

(Though inhalers are even less expensive at Canadian pharmacies, "virtually all Canadian pharmacies that ship prescription drugs to U.S. consumers violate U.S. law.")

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For a minority of medications, ordering prescriptions online with Amazon Prime Rx results in even lower prices than GoodRx. In addition to GoodRx, I also use an independent pharmacy that uses its own discount program.

Larry the Chiweenie Saves 65% on His COPD Pet Medicine

Larry, more affectionately known as Junior at home, is an eight-year old Chiweenie. (For dog newbies like me, a Chiweenie is a cross between a Chihuahua and a Dachshund.) He was adopted from the Humane Society by Kayla three years ago, joining a family of two cats and another dog, Cash the pitbull.

Because her other pets have all generally been pretty healthy, Kayla did not anticipate Larry’s medication costs when he became sick. Like many pet owners, she didn’t know that she could use GoodRx coupons on pet medications.

For humans, COPD is typically managed with one or more inhalers, which allows medicine to be breathed in and delivered directly into the lungs to open up the airways and relieve symptoms. As you can imagine, this is harder to do with pets and requires a special inhaler spacer for animals. The first-line therapy for most pets with COPD, Larry included, is an oral medication which is easier for them to take.

Larry was prescribed terbutaline, a bronchodilator that relaxes the muscles in the lungs to help with airflow.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

The problem with chronic pain is that you often don’t know it exists until it’s taken away.

Don’t even get me started on cats. They are the masters at hiding their pain, yet they suffer from the same incidence of arthrits as dogs. Yep, they hurt too.

~ Michael D Lacopo
D.V.M. Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University (1991)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My new favorite for pet insurance -- which is only available in some US states:

The big attraction: It has a great wellness plan that more than pays for itself, including reimbursement for wellness exams, dental cleanings, vaccines, heartworm/flea/tick prevention, and even buying shampoo and supplements.

I got the insurance for my large dog since he is outside more often, likes to bark at rattlesnakes, etc. I also got a plan for my oldest cat. For cats, the cost is only about $10 a month and an additional $20/month for the optional wellness plan.

As I mentioned before, another reason I like wellness plans and pet insurance is they reduce spousal/relationship friction about how much to spend on fluffy :)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

United States Department of Veteran Affairs

Pays for routine veterinary care and equipment for veterans’ service dogs; exclusions apply.

Dogs On Deployment

Provides financial assistance to qualifying service members E-6 ranks and below, and non-active veterans on an individual basis. Individuals can apply for grants for routine and emergency care, as well as for costs related to PCS travel with pets.

Frankie’s Friends

Helps with the treatment of emergency and specialty medical conditions where the pet would otherwise suffer, be euthanized, or relinquished without proper veterinary care. Grants capped at $1,000 per pet/household.

The Mosby Foundation

Programs offering financial assistance for critical care, cancer treatment, and spay/neuter, respectively.

Red Rover Relief Grants

Provides assistance grants for life-threatening or urgent veterinary needs for pets who have a promising outcome. Offers grants to help pets of domestic violence victims be sheltered or housed safely.

The Pet Fund

Provides financial aid for pets who need non-basic, non-urgent care.

Best Friends Animal Society

Offers a listing of resources by state and breed, as well as for individuals who are disabled or have assistance animals.

Trio Animal Foundation

Helps shelters, rescues, and individuals pay medical bills of homeless pets. After medical care, each pet is teamed with a therapy dog for emotional healing.

Red Rover

Provides a listing of organizations that provide financial assistance for veterinary care, organized by state/national, disease, breed, and other factors.

Humane Society of the United States

Listing provides both national and state-by-state listing of various organizations, funds, etc. for low/no-cost veterinary care.

Care Credit

Offers payment plans for individuals who need help with various types of bills, including veterinary care.

American Veterinary Medical Foundation

Offers charitable veterinary services to individuals facing personal hardships, as well as a means to support animals who are injured or rescued from abuse and neglect. Requests for support must come directly licensed AVMA veterinarians. A new Wetterberg Foundation Grant for Veterans is available for up to requests up to $1,000 made by AVMA veterinarians who are treating veterans’ companion dogs or professionally trained service animals.

Handicapped Pets Foundation

Donates mobility equipment to pets in need.

Magic Bullet Fund

Helps pay for canine cancer treatment only.

Live Like Roo

Support and financial assistance for pets with cancer.

FACE Foundation

Helps San Diego pet guardians with the cost of emergency veterinary care.

Pets of the Homeless

Provides food and emergency medical care to the pets of homeless individuals. Searchable state-by-state directory of assistance locations.

Waggle

Pet-focused crowdfunding site that works directly with treating veterinarians.

Accredited veterinary colleges

These teaching hospitals often have programs that provide limited low-cost veterinary care to the public.

Barter services​

Ask your pet’s treating veterinarian if there are any projects or odd jobs for which they need assistance. If you have the skills to help, find out if you can barter in exchange for all or part of your pet’s medical bill.
You may have skills in light construction, customer service, or computer technology or programming that are valuable to your veterinarian’s practice. Perhaps they need an extra hand to clean their clinic, make deliveries, or other valuable tasks.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My new favorite for pet insurance -- which is only available in some US states:

The big attraction: It has a great wellness plan that more than pays for itself, including reimbursement for wellness exams, dental cleanings, vaccines, heartworm/flea/tick prevention, and even buying shampoo and supplements.

I got the insurance for my large dog since he is outside more often, likes to bark at rattlesnakes, etc. I also got a plan for my oldest cat. For cats, the cost is only about $10 a month and an additional $20/month for the optional wellness plan.

As I mentioned before, another reason I like wellness plans and pet insurance is they reduce spousal/relationship friction about how much to spend on fluffy :)

I am switching from ManyPets to Embrace, which is way more popular and has its own app. (Also, ManyPets takes much longer to process claims, even a wellness claim.)

Know what's covered before you claim. Pre-certification is recommended when you want to know if a procedure or testing would be covered before it's done.

Reasons for a Pre-certification

You might want to get a pre-certification if:
  • Your veterinarian is considering a course of treatment and you want to be absolutely sure it's covered.
  • You want to know exactly how much you will get back.
  • Your vet bill is likely to be over $1,000 and you want to have your claim paid directly to your veterinary hospital (only if the hospital has agreed to this beforehand).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My negative review for the largest pet hospital in my area:

Like most vets, they do not offer abdominal ultrasounds as part of a senior wellness package. Instead, they offer overpriced blood work, barely affordable x-rays, and everything else they can nickle and dime you for (fecal tests, heartworm tests, etc). At a minimum, they should waive the wellness fee if you get all the senior testing done. But they would never do that here.

And it is surreal that they charge $800 for a dental cleaning here. Got multiple pets? Go elsewhere!

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
If I had more emotional stability, I would consider going to vet school myself at this point to specialize in something non-surgical like respiratory therapy, palliative care, etc. But I can burnout in dealing with a sick dog at home. I couldn't image a line of them.

Right now, I have a formal complaint against a vet for several reasons, including telling my dog with cancer to lose weight.

Another vet spent more time with me wanting to know why I cancelled a dental cleaning with lots of notice -- instead of what to do about my dog's chronic side effects from prednisone, namely hunger.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.