More threads by kant

kant

I got 4 final next week. All four class are infamous in being very hard because of either the professors or the deep of the subject. How can i maintain my productivity, and increase by output in these times?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Are you in high school or college/university? If college/university, check to see whether there is a policy about exam load. I know at the University of Ottawa, for example, if you have more than 3 exams in a 5 day period, you can request to have the 4th or 5th rescheduled.

Beyond that, best strategy is to try to not think about ALL of the exams you have and ALL of the work you have to do at once. Just one step at a time. Focus on whatever it is you are studying at the moment and push everything else out of your mind. Take breaks. When you start to get tired or confused or overwhelmed studying one subject, switch to another - "a change is as good as a rest" sometimes.

Eunoia

hey kant... I answered a similar question in another post.... here's the link, as it contained some links to websites on test anxiety etc... they may also have info on study tips etc.
http://www.psychlinks.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3322
- scroll to the bottom of this post

personally, I'd agree that the best thing is to just get started somewhere... there's no use worrying about all the things you have to do, it's too overwhelming... start w/ one class, maybe the most difficult one or the one you like the most, just something to motivate you... maybe try studying w/ other people in a study group? do you ever use Q-cards to write questions/answers on? instead of just reading notes/ chapters, this method of actually working through and applying the material may help your understanding of it. are there any sample tests/exams you can take? do you have study guides you can make use of? try setting yourself a time & place for studying... so instead of thinking you have to study all day, study for "x" amount of hours at a library, at home, or wherever else you know you can concentrate, and then take a break from studying.... there is such a thing as too much studying and it'll drive you nuts.... good luck!

Diana

During my first year of university I made the mistake of staying up all night trying to study on coffee. Well, only a certain amount of coffee is beneficial and in the end you can't study or sleep. In my last year of uni, I finally discovered the best method for studying. Start as early as you can in the day, take frequent breaks (even every 50 minutes for 10 minutes or so), and get a good night's rest. I don't know what kind of situation you're in right now, if you've been keeping up on your studies, or if you have to cram now. But, if you have to cram, I would suggest starting as early as possible in the day and ending as early as possible at night. Even if you have to study until midnight, that's better than getting 2 or 3 hours sleep.
I always found that having some kind of drink with me at my desk helped me to concentrate. I don't know why. Maybe it's kind of like smoking when you're trying to concentrate. Some tea, juice, just anything in front of me. Make sure that you eat! I found that I always got hungry when I was studying intensely, even though I was just sitting. And, before you go to bed, take at least 20 minutes to sit in front of the TV, talk on the phone, or read a book that has nothing to do with what you were studying. I never really slept before an exam anyway, even when I was ready for it, but it helps to be relaxed before you go to bed. Good luck! Just do the best you can.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.