More threads by W00BY

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Hi all,

I have only recently after three years of psychotherapy been able to speak about my experiences out with the therapeutic relationship in any great detail.

I stumbled upon this site whilst researching adult survivors of abuse (of which I am one)

I am also a mother and I am currently training as a Counselling Psychologist i.e studying both Counselling (UK spelling) (post grad diploma) and doing a Psychology degree.

I actually was dumb struck by a posting on a member who suffers from flinching and all at once suddenly realized that I was not alone in what I suffer as a result of my childhood.

I think, particularly once you enter therapy and it is a process of getting to know yourself (which abuse strips you of any knowledge of who you are other than the faint voice that something is wrong) it is easy to think that only you feel the way you do or have been affected how you have been and for that reason I think it is brilliant a site like this exists.

I am particularly interested in drug and alcohol abuse which as my studies progress I am realizing more and more for many people the seeds of addiction are sown in childhood and the unwitting damage that parents do, even those with the best of intentions.

I look forward to conversing with you all and already have been blown away by David Baxter's very concise account of the struggle to maintain normal boundaries in personal interactions with others whilst fighting a default behavior to blame and shame yourself for all that goes wrong - this is my own particular acute problem still to this day, and I find the closer the person is to me emotionally the more I tend to fall back into this pattern of behavior.

I try and focus on the positives, the skills honed in trying to protecting myself as a child... reading peoples body language, understanding things very few can and hopefully by the end of my journey I will be able to help others climb out of the hole dug for us by others.

And I thank you all in advance for the chance to be part of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks, Wooby! Glad you have joined us a look forward to your joining in any of the ongoing discussions, or by all means start some of your own.

Be sure to let us know if we can help.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.