More threads by sunset

sunset

Hi All,

My therapist is a great guy, and is helping me find another job. He called me last night with a lawyers number, who may be looking for help. I took the number, thanked my T, and for the next hour, worked up the courage to call this guy..My heart was pounding and I was getting nauseous..
I did some self talking and said the worst that can happen is I dont get the job, OR I actually get the job, and fail at it! :eek:

Well, I forced myself to call him, and we spoke for a minute and he said he would have to call me today as he couldnt talk then.. Ok. I gave him my cell number, and I have it sitting on my desk along with a notepad, pen, and my car keys. When he calls, I cant talk from my desk about another job, so my plan is to run outside to my car to talk to him. Besides that my phone cuts people off in here, and I dont want that to happen!!

So, I am sitting here actually shaking. I am nauseous and have trouble taking in a deep breath... I think this probably qualifies as a panic attack.

Any suggestions for me to how to deal with this? I havent interviewed in a long time, so I am nervous I will say the wrong thing, or worse, freeze up and cant say anything at all.
I know some nerves are normal, but this is ridiculous... Im scared! :shocked:

I know I lack confidence and I certainly dont want to portray that over the phone...

Halo

Sunset,

I just went through almost the exact same thing right down to the cell phone on the desk waiting for the call and having to run away from my desk so nobody hears me...this is totally like deja vu for me. The first and most important thing that I can tell you about being nervous and not wanting to portray that over the phone is to be honest and be yourself. I was the same. I was very upfront with the people I spoke to about how I had not been on any interviews and even told them that I was nervous and I just really tried to act as myself. I figured if they liked me acting as myself then I would get along well there.

I know it is stressful and the adreneline is pumping and I am sure when that call comes through your heart is going to feel like it has jumped out of your body....I remember it. Do remember to keep breathing....it is important.

Take care and I am here if you want to talk.
Good luck
:hug:

sunset

Thx Nancy.. I am looking at the phone like its evil! This waiting is awful, but not much I can do about it. I am going to take your advice and just be myself. I am what I am, and if I get the job, I will do my best.
If not, it probably wasnt meant to be.

And, yeah, when that phone rings I know I will be :jump: jumping out of my skin...

Please ring.. I want to get this over with!!

sunset

Very helpful Janet. Thx.. Now why didnt I think to look at this before? :confused:

STILL no call. I am trying to be patient.

Halo

Probably.....lawyers sense of timing is not always the best unless their assistants remind them otherwise :D

Halo

Another thought, maybe the lawyer is not in Court today and that is why he hasn't called? That is always a possibility and sometimes even if they are scheduled for the morning they don't get heard until the afternoon which puts them behind for the day. Could be??

sunset

Another thought, maybe the lawyer is not in Court today and that is why he hasn't called? That is always a possibility and sometimes even if they are scheduled for the morning they don't get heard until the afternoon which puts them behind for the day. Could be??

Anything is possible. He said he would call me today, but never gave me a time.. So,I am still waiting...

My phone just rang and my heart started pounding! It was my sister... My head started to hurt too. Jeez, I need to chill. :rolleyes:

I need chocolate. Good thing I have some on me.

Last edited:

Halo

One thing is for sure, if he said that he would call you today....he will. I know that a lot of lawyers wait until the end of their day before returning a lot of calls so maybe it will be after you are done at work and on your way home. That would definitely ease your anxiety about having to run away from your desk.

(speaking from experience both as a legal assistant and from just having gone through this exact experience myself :D )

sunset

Nancy, only problem with that is my aunt just flew in from Florida, so I want to visit with her before I have to drive her and my mother to a party about 30 minutes away. I cant exactly talk on the phone while driving, and with them in the car. I would be sooo nervous.
So, IF he calls at a bad time, would it look bad to not answer it and then call him when I am not driving?:confused:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Instructions:

1. pull over to the side of the road

2. use edge of cell phone to render mother and aunt temporarily unconscious so they don't listen

3. answer phone and talk to lawyer

4. gently shake mother and aunt awake and inform them that they seem to have had an attack of "the vapors"

Problem solved. :D

Halo

I don't think that it would be bad to answer and tell him that you are driving and are unable to talk but would be happy to call him back when you have pulled off the road and are are safely able to have a conversation OR you could just let the call go to voicemail and when you get to your destination check your voicemail and call him back. You could always explain then that you were driving and didn't want to answer your phone while driving. Either way you look responsible and as a safe person.

My opinion of course.

sunset

Instructions:

1. pull over to the side of the road

2. use edge of cell phone to render mother and aunt temporarily unconscious so they don't listen

3. answer phone and talk to lawyer

4. gently shake mother and aunt awake and inform them that they seem to have had an attack of "the vapors"

Problem solved. :D

LOL! I thought you were serious for a minute! I am too gullible, but you got me laughing, so thank you!!:)

sunset

I don't think that it would be bad to answer and tell him that you are driving and are unable to talk but would be happy to call him back when you have pulled off the road and are are safely able to have a conversation OR you could just let the call go to voicemail and when you get to your destination check your voicemail and call him back. You could always explain then that you were driving and didn't want to answer your phone while driving. Either way you look responsible and as a safe person.

My opinion of course.

Sounds reasonable to me. I think I will let it go to voicemail.. Then call him back and say what you said. By law, we really shouldnt be on the phone while driving, especially when its not hands free.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.