More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
I have to admit that in the past I haven't really been able to relate to people's frustrations regarding doctors, therapists, and medication.

I guess I've always just been really lucky.

I think my luck ran out. Sort of.

I'm not really that concerned, but I decided that I wanted a new psychiatrist because I wasn't getting a whole lot out of mine. He was, what I call, a "yes-man" in that I didnt' feel like we were a team - I felt like I was telling him what I needed and without questioning re wrote the prescription.

I met with my family doctor today to ask for a referral to a new psychiatrist. She said that Access Mental Health likely wouldn't give me one becauase I already have one, and if they did, it would take over a year (I waited six months I think for this one, or maybe five...but awhile). Anyway, after we talked she said that she'd take over my meds and writing the prescriptions and making sure they are working for me, but I should check in with my psychiatrist every six months or so to keep the file open, just in case we need him.

I think I'm ok with that. I don't know that I really have any choice. At least I'm getting meds, and I have access to a doctor, which is more than some people have.

I've also spent hours scouring the APA website (Alberta Psychological Association) looking for someone who specializes in bipolar. Only about a dozen matches come up and from their website I've ruled some out based on cost, location, or treatment modalities (EMDR, hypnosis, EFT, etc). I've pretty much exhausted them. I contacted a couple but one works the exact same hours I do, and uses EFT, so she's out. Another one I contacted isn't taking new clients right now. And another one is younger than me, which shouldn't be an issue, but it is. So basically I'm therapist-less which again, isnt' a big deal, unless I have a crisis. I can fall back on my old one, but I didn't really get alot out of our last few sessions. I think she took me as far as she reasonably can.

So basically...I feel like I'm on my own...well, me and my doctor, and I'm not sure if that's good for someone who's just recently been diagnosed bipolar, but I guess it is what it is. My family doctor also said she wasn't convinced I even have a psychiatric illness, but I assured her there's no doubt, so she said ok.

Well, I have enough meds to get me through three months, and as long as I can stay somewhat stable, or something that looks remotely close to stable, I guess I'll be ok.

I dont' know what else to do at this point. I should be stressed and devastated but remarkably, I'm not. I'm just thinking "it is what it is, and we do the best we can at the time with what we've got." That's what I need to do.

Hey it is what it is i use that one alot to get me throught some days. Have you talked to your psychiatrist about how you are feeling that you feel things are not moving forward at all staying still. Perhaps he can change things up a bit if he knew. Have you kept your name on the list of the doctor who is not taking on new pts right now but maybe will be in the future.
I hope you stay stable and are not in need of your doctor but it is good you have him there for emergencies. TAke care okay stay well.

Banned

Banned
Thanks Violet. Yes, if things get crazy then I'll go see him, but I think I'm ok for now...."now" being this block of five minutes . With me, it's always a mystery :).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.