More threads by Zog

Zog

O.k. SO when I was six years old, I was gang raped in a home invasion.

This is the root of many of my life's problems. PTSD, and things like that.

Sites like Psych links make daily living easier.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's such a young age to have to try to cope with something that horrible.

I assume that you've been in some form of therapy at some point. Are you still seeing a therapist?

Zog

I've repressed the memory for more than 15 years. I don't even know the year it happened, let alone the day or anything. It kind of gets in the way of me knowing if it even happened. But strange memories and feelings creep up about it all the time.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
May I ask how the memories emerged? And how certain are you that it did happen?

The existence of repressed memories is well-established, in my opinion. But the existence of "false memory syndrome" occurring under some circumstances is also now well established.

Zog

I agree. The memories emerged some years before I began College. It was in conjunction with other forms abuse other than sexual. If "false memory syndrome" is at work, its because I experienced other kinds of harm than sexual. One day, I just started to act wildly emotional and stressed, and I got put on medication.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Again, I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would not have started therapy when all this began, before college if not at the time of the home invasion.

Zog

Alot of people are when I mention that. Thats the thing why I have been so reluctant, I seemed to have gotten along fine for a few years after that, but really, after many years afer it happened I seemed to just snap.

Zog

Thanks for making that clear. :D So yes...

I do have reason in believing that my biological father was in on it.

ladylore

Account Closed
Hi Zog,

I have PTSD too. When I moved out on my own at 19 within 6 months I was terrified of everything went to counselling. Once I became clean and sober the terror happened again - through counselling I realized how much of an impact the past abuse played a role in my life.

Glad your here. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.