More threads by Pedrx

Pedrx

Hello: New to this forum. I found it in my search for a forum dealing with Transactional Analysis. TA was introduced to me during a short stay, almost three decades ago, at an Alcohol Treatment Unit here in the UK.

I latched onto TA immediately – initially to analyse anyone but myself – and in its most basic form it has been of regular comfort and value since. It’s perhaps impossible to prove that today’s relative contentment is a direct result of TA and not merely the passing of time but am fairly sure it has helped to strengthen my Adult and… well, there’s so much I would like to discuss about the subject and perhaps this is the place…

There again, and it has just occurred to me, couching everything in TA alone may be restrictive hence I should be open to other forms of communication. So no doubt the above results could be attributed to other forms analysis too.

Just as a little starter subject: that of how to save the planet. Could it be said that virtually all the damage we are doing can be traced back to our feeling Not Okay about ourselves?, and that the necessary civilizing process leads us all to feeling Not Okay to varying extents?

If so what about introducing TA for example, shown to be comprehensible by the young, to children in their formative years. Yes, many generations would pass before improvements might be seen but… well, I’m not aware of any other long term solutions. No doubt this has all been suggested and perhaps implemented already. Would be keen to hear.

Anyway, saving planets is a wearisome business and its way past my bedtime so I’m off. Goodnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Pedrx,

Welcome to psychlinks and I would definitely recommend taking a look around.at the various sections of the forum.

desiderata

I don't think we for the most part intentionally want to destroy the planet anymore than we want to destroy ourselves. But we do sometimes. We make choices that the outcome of may not show up for years on down the road. By then we can only hope that these choices that are so ingrained in us are not life / planet threatening. If they are we search for a cure and try to break free of the choice we made yesterday, last year, or over 100 years ago.

Pedrx

Thanks everyone for the welcome and comments. Agree with all you say, Disiderata, and carrying on from your: ?if they are (our choices life/planet threatening) we search for a cure??

Let?s say that those who monitor the situation, and don?t have a vested interest in keeping things the way they are, are correct and the planet is deteriorating as a result of human progress.

It could all be scaremongering and or ?they? will fix it but just in case it?s neither then how about this for a ?cure?. They are merely the hurried thoughts of a carpenter, by the way, with no academic qualifications, and whose life style is unnecessarily excessive.

It seems fair to say most of the damage is a result of our demand for material wealth, luxury, privilege and rights in excess of what we need to satisfy our ultimate goal, which I?m assuming is contentment, and in excess of what the planet is capable of supplying indefinitely.

There is evidence ? we don?t need to look far to see it with our open eyes ?that material excess (beyond that which is needed to survive healthily) does not necessarily increases contentment; and may even have the reverse affect.

We virtually all, to varying degrees, want for complete contentment/lack self-worth/feel Not Okay about ourselves.

An understanding of our basic mental functioning has been shown to help us feel better about ourselves.

Such education learnt during the formative years, like language, piano, prejudice, has more chance of ?working? than left till after the character is formed.

Include this extra subject in the school curriculum and eventually, perhaps within many generations, we may be less acquisitive creatures who are able to give and receive joy from each other and from being a part of the natural planet sophisticated humans so take for granted.

The above thoughts seem less convincing on paper than in the head. Would be glad to hear an opinion though. Not so much about whether or not we?re damaging the world though. If you think everything?s fine or someone else will fix it then? maybe I should come and join you.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Such education learnt during the formative years, like language, piano, prejudice, has more chance of ‘working’ than left till after the character is formed.

Sounds like a reason for the government to continue to support public television:

In 1969, Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts. In about six minutes of testimony, Rogers spoke of the need for social and emotional education that public television provided. He passionately argued that alternative television programming like his Neighborhood helped encourage children to become happy and productive citizens, sometimes opposing less positive messages in media and in popular culture. He even recited the lyrics to one of his songs.

The chairman of the subcommittee, John O. Pastore, was not previously familiar with Rogers' work, and was sometimes described as impatient. However, he reported that the testimony had given him goosebumps, and declared, "I think it's wonderful. Looks like you just earned the $20 million." The subsequent congressional appropriation, for 1971, increased PBS funding from $9 million to $22 million.

Fred Rogers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

desiderata

I believe we are here to learn and grow. Unfortunately, nowhere near everyone agrees with this sentiment. That's where we need to learn to deal with adversity. No one said our stay here would ever be easy.
If we can first plant the seed into the consciousness of a few people and this seed sprouts and possibly multiplies we have started to grow our crops of awareness. That is the first step. We then have the key step in step two that is often where the process falters and that is throughput... or to follow through with whatever idea was come up with in the first step. That is where the real work begins.
Whether it be in raising a child, educating the masses, or self-improvement, the thought or awareness of a thing is is a good thing. It's the force we need to pull away and act upon the revelation that is hard and takes time and perseverance to be successful.
I hope I haven't steered too far off course for what you were asking or even what this forum is about.
I believe that we are one with our planet and the universe. And as we go so goes the planet.
If we don't feel good about ourselves how are we to feel about the people and things around us?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.