More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I see people talking about various new kinds of cookers. I had a slow cooker years ago and wasn't really crazy about many of the results — I found it homogenized all the flavors together too much for my tastes, which really only works for certain types of meals, plus it takes a long time.

I've never used an instant cooker though (not sure that's even the right name for it) but I've seen people talking about them in various places. What are the advantages over regular stove/oven and microwave? If you were going to recommend a brand or model (for 1-2 persons: I have a small kitchen with limited counter space), what would that be?

What sorts of meals are they good for and not so good for based on your experience?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I have the Instant Pot Duo Plus (6 quart size), though now I would get a newer version called Duo Crisp, which includes an air fryer lid, roasting mode, and dehydrate mode. The main advantages of Instant Pot over a slow cooker are speed and versality. It is an electronic pressure cooker (without being scary to me like the old-fashioned pressure cookers). To me, it is the perfect appliance for cooking rice or dry beans. But it has other modes as well, including slow cooker mode, steam, saute, sous vide, etc:

The versatility of the Instant Pot wins out over the other factors if you don’t have the space for both machines...“The Instant Pot is truly a multi-purpose wonder, taking up less valuable space and dirtying fewer dishes.”
Honestly, I still use it mostly for cooking rice, including brown rice. But I am planning on using it more, like for making yogurt and refried beans from scratch. My husband is not a big fan of the Instant Pot for cooking a meal since he likes to check and season his food as he cooks. But he is looking forward to us trying the spaghetti with sauce recipe.

For recipes and ideas:

official curated Instant Pot recipes

Canadian recipes [includes Roast mode recipes, which only work with certain models including the Duo Crisp model]

The 6 quart is the perfect size for me, and I believe it is the most popular size. I can't imagine needing anything larger than that, but the 3 quart size may be too small for making a lot of leftovers.

Last edited:
I find slow cookers annoying because they don't cook slow enough for me to start it on the morning of a workday and come home to the finished meal - by then it's overcooked. So I have to do it on the weekend, when I would've had time to do a casserole dish in the oven anyway. Although the one bonus is that the slow cooker doesn't heat the room up as much as having the oven on for a long time, which is important in summer. I still need to get a decent sized stove-oven casserole dish / Dutch oven though.

I don't have experience with instant pots but Daniel has covered that. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Instant Pot recipes at AllRecipes.com:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

So, is the Instant Pot worth the hype?

You may not want to toss away your old slow-cooker, but if you’re in the market for a new one or a pressure cooker, the Instant Pot does both well (even if you don’t find yourself using the bevy of alternate options that often). We wouldn’t reach for it to replace our sauté pans, though.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Daniel, do you have a good Instapot "starter" cookbook you would recommend (preferably from Amazon)? I know there are a lot of recipe sites available online but when I cook I like an actual book, softcover or hardcover, that I can look things up quickly and mark up substitutions, etc.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
This is the one I have, which I bought a few years ago. I bought the paperback (rather the Kindle version) since it's a cookbook. Amazon sells the paperback in Canada but not in the US (except used copies).

Since the book is from 2017, the used copies are much cheaper:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A related Kindle book is free for Prime members in the US:

Other books in the "Instant Pot miracle" series:

Some Instant Pot cookbooks that are no-cost with Kindle Unlimited:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

What makes Instant Pot Tuna Casserole better than oven baked?​

I didn’t expect it to be better, but to my surprise it is!

Here’s why I think it’s better:
  • It cooks much faster than in the oven. Minutes vs an hour!
  • No pot of boiling water to deal with. Noodles cook with the sauce.
  • One pot! I love a one-pot meal!
  • The tuna casserole comes out more saucy and creamy.
  • The flavors seems more pronounced.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Here are a few of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:

Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce:

I love spaghetti squash and this is a great pasta swap! The squash provides phytochemicals that the pasta does not. Prepare this with a side salad and you are likely very close to reaching your goal of 4-5 cups of fruits and veggies per day!

Instant Pot Faux-Tisserie Chicken:

Make your own rotisserie chicken at home? Yes, please! See ya on the flipside Sam’s Club!

If you don’t want any of the fuss, but want a ton of flavor, buy chicken leg quarters instead and throw them in the instant pot with some barbecue sauce. 45 minutes – Boom, done!

Turkey Lentil Chili:

In an attempt to reduce my family’s consumption of red meats, I typically substitute lean ground turkey for recipes that call for ground beef (this recipe for chili calls for turkey – which is perfect!). When ground turkey is flavored well, my family can’t tell the difference.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Chinese food:​

Hot & Sour Soup is the Chinese version of vegetable soup with a major kick of some, well, hot & sour. This one is a true "dump & go" made with all accessbile ingredients, yet with full-on authentic flavor. Get ready to have your sinuses cleared!

Ingredients​

• 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (if you don’t want a little zest to it, leave it out)
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 3 strands of scallions, divided (2 for the soup, 1 for garnish) and chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (this really just enhances the color)
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, mixed together to form a slurry
  • 2 large eggs + 2 egg whites, beaten
  • Chinese noodles, for topping (optional)

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I'm a vegetarian/pescatarian, but this pot roast recipe brings back memories of Sunday dinners:

Vegetarian versions with mushrooms:

Instant Pot:
Slow cooker Vegan Portobello "Pot Roast"

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Mediterranean recipes:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Instant Pot Sizes

Most people use the 6 quart size -- and for good reason. The mini 3-quart size is often used for side dishes, but the 3-quart models can take much longer to preheat than newer 6-quart models with more advanced options and 500 watts of more power. The optional air fryer lid is not available for the mini 3 quart size.

The 3 quart size is less bulky but requires you to modify most/many Instant Pot recipes. Most Instant Pot recipes are designed for the 6 quart size (4-6 servings).

Similarly:

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 11.23.07 AM.jpg
------
Tips for using the smallest ("mini") 3-quart Instant Pot:

1. Since most Instant Pot recipes are intended for at least the 6-quart size (or a family of four), sometimes people will only use half the amount of ingredients for the mini (3 quart) size. But for the mini Instant Pot, one needs to have at least 1/2 cup of liquid ingredients before pressure cooking. The maximum fill level is not more than 8 cups -- which is two-thirds of a 3-quart (12-cup) container:

1654497253418.jpg

2. You can keep the cook time the same.

Alternatively, you can find recipe books or blogs just for the mini 3-quart size.

Blog posts for mini Instant Pot recipes:

Free Kindle Unlimited books with 3-quart recipes:

Amazon productAmazon productAmazon productAmazon product

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Almost 2,000 positive reviews for this recipe, intended for a manual pressure cooker (but a commenter recommends an extra 2 minutes for cooking in the Instant Pot):

From a comment: "This was amazing. So tasty and simple to prepare. Made in the Instant Pot -- I did need the two extra minutes after 12 minutes of high pressure for rice to be fully cooked."

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.