More threads by Charity

I want to introduce everyone to one of my favorite sources of entertainment-- and issue a few warnings on it at the same time. :)

There's a weekly podcast called "The Sitter Downers," which I've been listening to for a very long time and still can't get enough of. It consists (usually!) of three guys: Adam Jackson, Torri Suedmeyer, and Tom Revell. Adam and Torri are both from Illinois, both hard-core Christians (non-Catholic), and extremely conservative in their political and social beliefs. Tom is British, an atheist, and socially/politically extremely liberal. (Sounds like fun already, doesn't it?)

Their show usually consists of the three of them discussing topics such as politics, religion, their personal and family lives, and anything interesting that has caught their attention in the past week. I don't know if the rest of you would agree or not, but I find it unbelievably entertaining! :lol:

They welcome feedback from listeners by e-mail, and usually read the e-mails aloud on the show and respond directly.

Now the warnings... possibly triggering for some!! This show is not for everyone. It could very easily offend you, and I mean a LOT! It depends on both your own personal belief system and how tolerant you are of opposing views. Adam and Torri aren't shy-- they believe what they believe, and they often phrase their beliefs in ways that would infuriate many people. For example, they regularly refer to abortion as "babykilling," and to liberals as "flaming libs" or "lib-tards." Tom isn't quite as vocal about his opposing views, but often believes quite differently than the others. THIS SHOW COULD BE CONSIDERED INFLAMMATORY AND UPSETTING BY SOME. I don't want to introduce anyone to something that will only upset them. I'll add, though, that the show is otherwise very PG-rated; there's no obscenity or anything like that.

If you enjoy lively debate on a variety of topics and aren't easily offended, this show is awesome. If you are afraid it might offend you, please don't listen-- or at the very least, don't hold it against me if you do get offended! I just enjoy it so much that I thought everyone else deserved at least the chance to try it out.

New shows are posted on Tuesdays. You can download individual episodes at www.thesitterdowners.com or subscribe there to the RSS feed.

If this post in itself is too touchy, I won't be offended if it is removed. I sincerely don't want anyone to be offended, and I know that politics and religion are sensitive subjects!! I just enjoy it so much that I thought there might be others who'd enjoy it too.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: Interesting show-- good for some, possibly upsetting/triggering for others

You have me curious Charity :)

Good! :lol:

I love the show. I just don't want to take the chance of hurting anyone. For example, if a woman had recently had an abortion and was having mixed feelings and guilt on the subject, and then listened to one of the episodes in which abortion is vividly described as cold-blooded murder... well. That wouldn't be a good thing.

I personally have no problem listening to intense debate, so I have no trouble with it. I just know for a fact that some people would.

Thanks Charity for sharing and for your sensitivity towards other members in the way you present your favourite show, that it may trigger or offend some folk.:hug:

Trust

Hey Charity! Thanks for sharing - I think I would enjoy that type of show sometimes except that I rarely download anything off the internet to watch because I don't have a very fast computer - at least not fast enough for my lack of patience!:eek:

I love watching political and current events shows, even when the hosts and/or guests are controversial. I am not religious although I do have spiritual beliefs - but I love to hear and learn about others' experiences and viewpoints! I remember seeing the PTL Club years ago when channel surfing and happened upon Tammy Bakker singing, mascara staining her cheeks, her 'I Love Lucy' red hair and lips, and thought I was watching Saturday Night Live.:rofl: My kids set me straight and I couldn't believe that show was for real - just my offbeat humour I guess, so you can see I am not your usual suspect.

I like to watch TVO (Ontario's public broadcasting / educational station for those whom may not be familiar) and I also enjoy watching the very conservative Michael Coren show on the CTS Network (Christian tv station in Ontario) and he and his guests sometimes drive me bonkers they are so right-wing and outrageous, but I think Michael is highly intelligent and an engaging writer and speaker so I get hooked there on occasion. Adam Jackson and Torri Suedmeyer would most likely label me a "flaming lib" and I'd be proud of it!:rofl:

I hope my comments offend no one here as well! I don't like censorship, but I do understand that some topics on these type of shows could be too provocative or insensitive for some people's tastes or sensitivities.

If it helps at all-- there's no video, just audio.

Individual shows download as mp3 files. The one from this week is 29.5MB, just so you have an idea of the average size.

Trust

Hey Charity - Thanks that does help that it's mp3 format and to know the MBs. Thanks again!:2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.