More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Asking the questions
Health Psych Blog
Tuesday, June 09, 2009

It always surprises me that people rarely ask questions when they start therapy. I cover all the legal and administrative issues as you'd expect. I also like to get an idea of what people's expectations are. People seem comfortable with that. It's expected that I ask the questions.

Yet embarking on a therapeutic relationship is not an insignificant matter. I wouldn't allow a surgeon to operate without asking about his or her experience with my particular situation and outcomes achieved. Why should a therapist be any different? A good therapist-patient fit is essential. Therapists are not 'one size fits all' and sometimes it may be necessary to 'trial' a couple before finding one that feels right. Asking some of these questions (as appropriate) at your initial session may be all you need to gauge suitability.

What are your qualifications?
You wouldn't hire an electrician to plumb your bathroom, would you?

What professional body do you belong to?
Membership of a professional body usually requires attainment of a certain level of proficiency/ training.

How long have you been practicing?
Can demonstrate both experience and stability in the profession.

Do you have regular supervision?
Demonstrates ongoing commitment to personal development.

What kind of therapy do you practice?
Important to have some understanding of what to expect or to know if the therapist practices a modality that you personally do not feel comfortable with.

What experience do you have with my particular presentation? What outcomes have you experienced?
You need to know you're getting someone experienced for your particular issue.

Have you ever been in therapy yourself?
It can be beneficial to know that your therapist has experienced being a patient. A good therapist will be happy to be open (to a certain degree) about personal experience in therapy.

What do you think? As a client, any questions you'd like to ask but don't? Why? As a therapist, what do you feel about these questions?

Andy

MVP
Thanks for this.

Some of those I would not ask a therapist, just because to me personally I'm not interested in knowing all those things, some.
How long they have been practicing is a definite as I seem to more often than not be given the newbie, with all things mental health. I know they have to learn somehow but learn on someone else.

The last question I would never ask. In the past I have just let them offer up whatever info they wanted to about themselves. It's good to know casual things, but personal things are up to them.

The one question I usually want to know but could be considered rude to ask, is their age. I have issue with someone younger than me, who may very well be beyond qualified, but that's just my preference.

I would want to know if they have ever seen me or worked with me before in a hospital. That may sound dumb but I am not usually all there when in hospital, so i don't remember people sometimes.

I also wouldn't mind knowing if they grew up in and around the area, which is also kind of personal. I suppose that would be up to them to decide whether they trusted me or not, because I do know not all clients are...well behaved with information.

You would think in a city of over a million people you wouldn't run into people from your home town but it seriously happens to me all the time. I know there is the confidentiality thing but I wouldn't be able to get past the fact that they may or do know someone that knows me.

That's it for me, more about my own piece of mind, I guess. :think:

These will be good things to think about when/if I can go forward with this. :whistle:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The last question I would never ask.
Yeah, most people wouldn't, including myself, ask a therapist that question ("Have you ever been in therapy yourself?").

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
But not most of them :) I can see how it could be helpful, but I don't think it's necessary or even very helpful.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I have been asked that question by prospective or current clients.

Have you ever been uncomfortable with the question? Do you find that question to be 'run of the mill'?

I guess I would have a difficult time with that question myself as I find it too personal...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, I don't think it's essential. I don't think being in therapy has made me a better or worse therapist. I think in the 2 or perhaps 3 cases where it occurred it was more a concern about whether I would understand the client's nervousness.

But I agree I wouldn't put it on a list of "questions you should ask".

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.