More threads by kelsischanging

I have been seeing my therapist for the past 5 years (since I was 16). I have a good therapist/client relationship with him and have only had one or two minor problems with him and we worked them out both times. By now, going to talk to him is like going to talk to a good knowledgeable friend. Here is my question...is five years too long to be seeing the same therapist? Can a person be "too comfortable" with their therapist? My feelings toward him and our relationship are completely professional and I'm not having any transference issues. I'm just curious if most professionals would think that after 5 years it's time to move on to another therapist. I don't really want to make that kind of change and this is not me thinking that I don't need therapy because I know I do to manage my bipolar disorder. I appreciate any advice/comments/your own experience answers to this question. Thanks!

Banned

Banned
Re: Is 5 years too long to be seeing same therapist

Hi Kelsey,

I'm not a mental health professional, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents anyway.

I think that as long as you're continuing to make progress with your therapist, then five years doesn't have to be too long. I don't think there's really a magical number as to how long is too long - it's definitely possible for one to "outgrow" their therapist, and it's usually pretty obvious when that has happened.

Also, all therapists have "boundaries of competence" that they practice within. That means, basically, that if you were to present an issue that your therapist doesn't have any experience with, or is not comfortable helping you with, he would be ethically required to refer you on.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your therapist. Again, my personal opinion is that as long as you're continuing to make appropriate progress, then I'd hazard to guess that this relationship is ok at this juncture.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Re: Is 5 years too long to be seeing same therapist

I am not a professional Kelseym, but I have been seeing my Psychiatrist for the past 5 years. I can talk to him about everything and anything and I am very comfortable with him too.

I actually think this is a good thing. I think as long as there is a progression within the therapy and if we plateau or relapse that the therapist is able to help put us back on track or change direction, then I think it is all good.

That is just my opinion,

You both made a good point about thinking more about if progess is being made and less about the number of years. I am definitely still making progress (probably more in the past five months than ever before in my life) so I know that our therapeutic relationship is still a positive one...Thank you both for giving me a new perspective on this issue :2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.