More threads by sunset

Lost

yeah.. I've heard about AA and I've been dying to go but would never have the guts - it's far too public for me. I've also been dying to start a support group for people like me but I could never decide which mental illness to focus on when advertising for the group... like which of myproblems is the main one...? and there's always the fear of someone who knows you who shows up...

But, Mary, if you feel you need therapy - I feel that you SHOULD continue with it! It doesn't sound like your husband's too supportive from how you've written about him... Is there any way of explaining how important it is to you, and how sooooo many people see therapists and it's so normal and everything... (please don't think i'm being hypocritical - I know it can seem that way but I really feel what i'm writing...) thank god my husband understands the importance of me seeing my therapist, and he also knows not to tell a soul about it...

So I'll paraphrase you - I REALLY DO wish you could be more open about the need to see a therapist and attend to your mental health - if it is indeed a need... my therapist is REALLY helping me now. She is a GREAT NEED for me and a great support.
Something very major happened in my family and I was amazed at how I managed to deal with it, and get thru it, and had I not been seeing this therapist i would have been a TOTAL NERVOUS WRECK because of what happened but thanks to her I remained calm, in control, and it really wasn't so bad.

foghlaim

one evening one of my sons came over to visit.. as we were chatting,? my panic attacks came up.. he says you should go and see someone, i said i was but lied about who.. he says i hope this person is a professional. you need professional help with this....

(to cut the story short, abit anyway) his concern was genuine.. but i couldn't bring myself to tell him i am seeing a psychiatrist. but the reason i lied differs from the ones i and written above (but which is also true).?
i also see it tho as my private life
.?i'm afraid that if i tell him the truth, that he will see me in the same light as he sees "another person", someone using depression as an excuse for getting ppl to feel sorry for him, an excuse for not working.? the list goes on..?

but now i'm caught between telling the truth ( i don't want to because of the above.) and knowing i lied to him.? ? i should also add that i don't generally lie about anything..( i can be evasive without actually lying .)? ?I don't want his feelings hurt when he finds out the truth eventually. ( he also doesn't know i have depression) this conversation we had only concerned the panic attacks.? ?

how do i reconcile this..? ? ? so that both of us are "happy"? i want to keep my private life mine, yet don't want to lie(again) and hurt my son.

sorry for the length of this,

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
A lot of people don't know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist anyway, or any other kind of therapist for that matter. I don't know that I would call it a lie - just saying you are seeing a licensed therapist is enough information to disclose unless you choose to disclose more.

It's not a matter of shame or guilt, necessarily. It's just a matter of personal privacy. And your right to choose what you disclose and to whom.

Banned

Banned
I'm the opposite of most you. I'm actually quite open about it. Most people that know me know; and if I'm late for work I just say I was at my therapist's appointment (assuming that's the real reason).

In this day and age, at least where I am, people see therapists for everything from considering a career change to the deeper reasons I and some of you go for.

It took alot of work for me to be able to be very open about it, but I couldn't stand the secrecy and trying to keep it inside. I don't shout it from the mountains, but for me it's no different than going to the dentist or taking my dog to the vet. I appear normal on the outside (haha) so people don't think too much about it, and no one has ever asked me for more information. A couple key people (like my boss) know only what I've been diagnosed with, so they understand a little bit more about me. I've had a couple people say they wish they had the guts to do the same, ask me if it helps, etc. So for me, it hasn't been a bad experience, but it would only take one jerk for me to never tell another soul again.

Rosa

Great question:) I don't broadcast that I see a Psychitrist but several people including my boss and close co-workers know because there are times when I take off to go to my visits. I don't really care so much who knows-I consider myself lucky to have found a doctor who is willing to work with me and who has the skills I need to help me work through this.
Rosa

Hi! This is the first time i have been to the site in a while, nice to see the changes, and the emoticons rock.. I wanted to reply to this post because i think i really do understand the stigma that 'going to a therapist' carries with it.

There are feelings of confusion within my immeadiate family regarding seeking help in this way. I think many people believe that openin yourself up to a 'complete stranger' (as i have heard it put before) must indicate that you can't cope with your feelings yourself. And even if it is not intentional, these feelings along with feelings of pity, or worry, and general misunderstandings come through. I carry this with me, and this is why, If i feel insecure around people, they probably will never know about any therapy that i may undergo. Not because I am embarrased, because I know that therapy is a great healer for many people, but because of the worry of misunderstanding from the other person.

:eek:

ThatLady

Heh. If you think about it, those of us who have been in a mental hospital, or seen a therapist, have been deemed okay for public consumption...by a professional. ;)

Would anyone be embarrassed to admit that they had the plumber over to repair their plumbing? HEHE! This is how I see this...if something is not working for you...then you go to the professional who can help you with it. I was required by my doctoral program to complete six months of therapy...I went on to complete 2 years worth of the best therapy. I wanted to pack up my therapist and bring her back to Idaho with me. I will never forget what I have learned from my therapy and I would be more than willing to return to it.

How does one get a certificate of Sanity like Homer's? HEHE!

foghlaim

i want to keep my private life mine,
i can now change that to i wanted to keep my private life mine.. but it was not to be, my whole family knows now a nd it annoys me that they do. but they have been very supportive and check in with me very often ( too often). I feel like i have no privacy at all now and that sucks!.
and yes i'm still embarrassed i'm seeing a psych.. even tho they all know anyway.

Lost

Sorry to hear that notsureanymore.

I understand that you feel there's no privacy. must be tough that. I only have one person in my family who knows, and would never want my parents or others to know. At least though your family is supportive.

And I have to add, I'm not embarrassed that I'm seeing a therapist. She's wonderful and a complete blessing and she's helped me turn my life around. So for ME i'm not embarrassed. Only for others, I'd never want them to know. And there's a whole long reason for that which I'm not gonna go into now.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.