More threads by Holly

Holly

I am concerned as I get older to make sure the legal affairs around my life are in order. I was wondering if anyone else was concerned about wills, doing it yourself, are hiring a lawyer! The cheapest way is to do it yourself, I am concerned I would not do it properly and miss something important. I also wondered how do you decide who is going to do what in case of emergency? Suggests and information would be helpful. I have to update my will, so it was why I am wondering?

ThatLady

It's always important to have a will, hon. That way, if something does happen to you your wishes are known. If there's nothing to direct your loved ones in what you would want, they're sorta left to fend for themselves, and that's very difficult.

It's a good idea, if you can afford to do so, to have an attorney's help when preparing a will. That just insures that all the little loose ends are tied up to your satisfaction. That way, there are no lingering questions to cause problems for those who are left to deal with things.

As far as what will happen in an emergency, I presume you mean an illness or accident that leaves you unable to make decisions as to whether or not you wish to have extreme measures taken to keep you alive. That would involve an Advance Directive (Living Will or Power of Attorney). Most hospitals have staff that can help you with that sort of thing, as can an attorney. There are also forms available on the internet, I believe. Try putting Advance Directive and your place of residence into Google and see what you can come up with. Everyone should have an Advance Directive, in my opinion. Some people want everything done to keep them alive, while others do not wish such things. It's something to think through thoroughly.

Retired

Will planning is a very important part of administering the business of life. Though many people tend to neglect it, people should always have an up to date will and the will should be revised to keep it up to date every three to five years.

Depending on the Country, State or Province in which you live, the law is different and the requirements vary.

There are brochures available from your local bank or trust company and even some large law firms have free templates you can fill out. In addition there are will kits that can be bought from software companies like Intuit, the company that develops Quicken and Tax software. Other will kits are sold in book stores and software houses.

The necessity of a will is not dependent on the size of the estate, but instead a will is drawn up to protect your estate from unnecessary taxation, and to protect your heirs from the monumental task of locating all your assets in the event of your death.

A properly drawn up will contains the list and location of all your assets, along with your instructions for disposal.

If your estate is substantial, it is worth a visit to a Trust Company, to visit their Estate Management Department which can advise you on proper disposition of your assets, while taking your wishes into account.

If you are planning a will, it is also time to think about bequests to the medical institutions that may have helped you and your family.

Have a look at this posting for some perspectives

Holly

I like the quote by Dr. Baxter (who I will nickname Doc)
TSOW thank you for the information I will look into the legal end because each province being different.
And the bank /trust company, it is important to research it out for sure.
ThatLady I will do the google search and advance directives, I want to make sure I have everything in order so it will not burden anyone! My mother passed away without a will so it was alot of legal paper work. My grandmother had a will, I was not in it, her children all were still alive. I just want everything to be done right, so like I said no one is burden.
It is alot to even find people who want to be apart of any decides around wills. Power of Attorney/Wills, many do find it a difficult topic to discuss.
The details may be part of that reason, are just knowing what is legally expected of them if you choose someone who has never been part of a will.
Most of the people I know do not even have wills.
That to me seemed to be a scary thought!

Peanut

You are right about that...I think of wills totally differently now since all this upheaval with my grandmother's death. Now I say definitely (for the love of your survivors) write a will, be as specific as humanly possible, include a detailed advanced directive, specify what you want done with remains, etc. Once someone is gone the surviving family is thankful for every little piece of direction of what the deceased wanted done.

I say definitely get a lawyer too. I wonder at what age you should write a will? :confused:

Holly

Hi Toeless,
I think if your over 18 years of age it may be a good idea, definitely if you have your own place, and support yourself!
It may be important, to let someone you trust know your wishes.
I am sure it is different in the United States.
You may have to search at the state level.
What the legal age could be, it may be 21?
Great question, just so you have an idea I started my own will, at 18 years of age.
I revisited it after several years, like about 20 years later. Now that I am in my 40's, I notice I had friends without wills.
Good Luck in finding out about wills.
Have a nice weekend. :)

Retired

In addition to a will that describes ones wishes after death, it is just as important to put together a living will to describe one's wishes while living, but if one is unable to make their wishes known....such as being in a coma.

Here are two resources that can provide examples and directives on setting up a valid living will.

In the U.S. for State specific living will wording, visit LEGALDOCS

In Canada, for a living will that can be tailored to conform to the requirements of each Province, visit University of Toronto Center for Bio-Ethics

U of T has the following available as PDF downloadable documents:

• University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics Living Will
    University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics Cancer Living Will
    University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics HIV Living Will
    Testament de vie du Centre conjoint de bio?thique de l'Universit? de Toronto (in French)
    Testamento di Vita del Joint Centre for Bioethics (in Italian)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
it is just as important to put together a living will to describe one's wishes while living
I've tried that (e.g., wishes about dry vs. wet garbage, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning the cat box, not taking towels down to their bedrooms and dumping then on the floors, etc.) but my sons pretty much ignore my wishes. Is there a Plan B?

Retired

Is there a Plan B?

Certainly is...show them a copy of your last will and testament, highlighting the part where those who do not comply with the:

wishes about dry vs. wet garbage, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning the cat box, not taking towels down to their bedrooms and dumping then on the floors, etc

are to be disinherited. ;)

Reward & Punishment :goodjob:

i haven't thought about a will... i have nothing to pass on, and no dependants...
apart from the house.... and my dog... hmmmmmm......
ack.... then my DOG would need a will after I die, and who will help him set that up????
:roll:

Retired

Phoenix,

If you own a house then you have assets and you need to provide for the disposition of these assets. You don't need dependents to have a will, because you can leave your assets to a charity, a hospital or some organization which has special meaning to you.

There are complications when people die intestate (no will) and in some jurisdictions a government bureaucrat might be assigned to dispose of your assets.

Also for your own benefit and quality of life, especially if you don't have dependents, consideration should be given to making a living will. If you become incapacitated such as in a car accident or stroke where you cannot make your wishes known for your care, you may find a government bureaucrat making your decisions for you and managing your personal affairs.

If a person becomes incapacitated and cannot communicate, they may not be able to pay the mortgage, the rent, taxes and utilities. A living will would provide instructions for these contingencies as well as your own wishes for what treatments you would want in specific circumstances.

i never have,
what did he look like??
anyway, you keep insulting him and i'll sic him on ya!!!
(yeah, right, you'd get a good licking!)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.