More threads by cosmo

cosmo

Because I was in state-funded therapy (psychodynamic psychotherapy) I only got the bare minimum - 6mo followed by another 6mo extension. This stopped a couple weeks ago now. I will not get a review by the psychiatrist for another 6mo according to the policies laid out by our health care provision.

I am a now MESS. Flashbacks, OCD, depression, extreme anxiety and now some seemingly manic symptoms, whereas the reason I went into therapy was just boring old depression. The last few weeks of therapy unearthed a whole canning factory of worms, and it was just not processed adequately before I left. Also because of the issues behind the depression, I am NOT good at endings, making it 100x worse.

I feel that I will not last 6mo, and indeed my GP has me on diazepam for the anxiety. But she can't get me any therapy until that 6mo consult (and then the waiting list will be about a year after).

Is it too soon to look at privately funded therapy? I don't like the idea as it won't be mandated or regulated by my GP. But I can't really see myself 'lasting' that long without dealing with the issues not 'closed' by the previous therapy.

How does it work? In time-limited therapy is there a point where a psychiatrist realises you have finished 'too soon' and you get sent straight back for more? Is there a statutory time after termination before which you shouldn't 'bounce back' into therapy as the 'old' therapy is still working / being processed?

I am very confused as I know that our system works differently here in the UK, and I know there are some problems with my case, but I don't know quite where the wool is being pulled over my eyes. I feel taken advantage of as I don't know enough, but I know enough that it is wrong. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone - not even a proper diagnosis, other than 'depression' - but it is obviously so much more than that.

Is there some sort of malpractice going on here - that I came out far worse than I went in? I know they weren't right to discharge me, but their argument was that as it was time-limited therapy, that they would break the boundaries if they extended it again. In addition, even in the small chance that I get re-referred back to psychotherapy in 6mo time, I would not see the same therapist. Extremely frustrating as it took me 12 months to build up a relationship good enough to start digging things up in the final weeks of our contract, and I am not sure I can go through that again.

All I know for sure is that I am now on sedatives that I have avoided for the last 30+ years of my depression-related illness (I seem to be intolerant to anti-depressants), and that the symptoms are getting worse not better. I just had to leave my husband's birthday meal because of a panic attack - I haven't had one for 4 years and now am having 3 or 4 every day, plus numerous flashbacks that I haven't had before. Crippling anxiety, OCD plus a deepening depression - I can't see how terminating therapy should have quite such a bad effect had it been handled correctly?

I understand that therapy can make you feel worse within the bounds of the treatment, and that the end would be difficult, but I feel so very much worse that I can;t help but think something is very wrong, in the first instance because I have been discharged, despite them knowing that I am in such a bad way, which is particularly concerning as I have now got no psychiatric support at all.

I can't really afford private therapy but the impact on my life is so huge that I am struggling to see a way round it right now. But how long should I leave it before starting again (if I can scrape the $ together, that is!).

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

ps I apologise - I am sure I could have written this request for help in half so many words but my brain isn't quite thinking straight!

i don't live in the uk so unfortunately i don't know how things are run. however i have read on various forums the problem of people receiving time limited therapy and then just being cut off in much the same way as you. this is happening to a lot of people.

personally, if it were me, and if there was any way i could scrape together the money needed to go back to therapy then i would do so as soon as possible. if you do not, you're going to suffer quite a bit without any support or help, and it's just going to take longer to recover. the system is definitely not set up right and waiting another year and a half isn't going to help you right now when you are really needing it.

yuray, there isn't a whole lot of information on that website and i don't think i'd just randomly contact this person. he claims to be a therapist but i don't see any credentials that could be confirmed.

Yuray

it mentioned a free phone call, and who doesnt like a bargain, but after I phoned it, I see he requires your phone number to do a call back, or get a salesperson to call back. Forgive my lapse of judgement...all I saw was the word free.....and I completely lost it!...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.