More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
TENS therapy: An option for fibromyalgia treatment?
by April Chang-Miller, M.D.
Oct. 22, 2008

Would a TENS unit help improve fibromyalgia pain?

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a therapy sometimes used to treat localized or regional pain. During TENS therapy, electrodes deliver electrical impulses to nearby nerve pathways ? which can help control or relieve some types of pain.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in the muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points ? places on the body where slight pressure causes pain. Since the pain of fibromyalgia isn't limited to a specific area, TENS therapy isn't likely to be an effective fibromyalgia treatment.

Fibromyalgia is often treated with various medications to relieve pain and improve sleep. Options may include pain relievers, antidepressants and muscle relaxants. Self-care ? such as reducing stress, getting enough sleep, exercising regularly and eating healthy foods ? is important as well. In some cases, mental health therapy also is recommended.

If you have fibromyalgia and your treatment plan isn't relieving your pain, consult your doctor. He or she may adjust your medications or offer additional treatment options.

References
  1. Thompson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 29, 2008.
  2. Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults. UpToDate Inc.

alicegirl

My late husband was an FM sufferer who actually DID get great relief from his TENS unit. His therapist taught him to put the electrodes at location of some of the tender points. The little electric current seemed to interfere with the transmission of the pain signals for a short period of time. He would often put the TENS on (or I would if it was a difficult spot like the back of his shoulders) and he could actually get a good hour of rest. He would never put it on for night sleep though as there was a very defined point where the relief turned into agony.

Unfortunately, I have tried it for my pain with no good result.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.