More threads by NeedaName

NeedaName

In the introductions, I talked about this stress that is just always there. I've been thinking about it for a few days now. Where is this stress coming from? I think it's because I'm do everything alone. There's a distance between me and everyone else and they don't even realize they can't support me because they're too far away to know me. Not that they aren't available now, but at one time the choice was to sort it out myself or fall apart. People know the person that I created that learned all their rules and is technically me, but detached from the inside. I'm at a safe distance on Dartmoor inside and very little can reach me here. It's like hiding in my parents closet even though I find it embarrassingly immature. The person I offer to the world is social, funny and rock solid and knows when to shut up. Not perfect, but doesn't stand out in a crowd. The tallest nail gets the hammer. Besides, I handle hardships better than the people around me.

I'm supposed to feel more for my family. It shouldn't be mostly head knowledge that I work to make real for them. I shouldn't feel this bland version of caring towards them and I owe them more of me than the token I offer. There isn't enough I could do for them to make up for it. But I'm not keen to join them. People experience extreme emotions that look truly disturbing. It's a little lonely and I get tired, but I am okay on my own.

Then I watch my kids try to be strong like me and I don't like it. When they're being themselves, I'm impressed with just how normal and healthy they are. My 3yo will burst out yelling that he's happy and do a crazy dance around my kitchen. And it's 100% real, he feels great. My 8yo will walk up to a rollercoaster, stand in line for awhile and come away too scared to go on it. She'll say that she's scared. And she's being 100% real with me. I'm seeing her and she's genuine. If my way is better, why do I want something different for them than I want for myself?

I come off as callous and I should be ashamed, but I'm practical. Aside from money, this is where I stray between deciding to go to therapy or not. I'm not always sure I need or want it. Is the trouble it really worth it? Is it beneficial or detrimental to my family? Would I be making their lives unstable in the process? I don't exactly have just the one can of worms and instead of improving myself for them, I might just make an emotional wreck of myself. Instead of a competent and stable parent and wife, what would I really be giving them? I grew up with a father with mental health problems, I'm not interested in offering them what I had. Withdrawing occassionally has got to be better than what I saw.

It's an awful lot to think about and sounds odd, but I'm wavering on looking into therapy next month. And this may be the scariest things I've ever written. :stiffdrink:

---------- Post Merged at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Wow, I'm feeling way too much anxiety about this post. Just a bunch of strangers and I feel physically ill. Handle stuff better than other people eh? Right now, that sounds like a massive joke. Feel free to laugh your arses off at me.

Why would anyone laugh hun my god i can related to most of your words. I am in control of me and i stay in control as much as i can Therapy well it came to point i had no choice i was falling apart under all the pressures Therapy can work depends what you want out of it You want some healing you want to be able to feel more real not wear a mask. I think if you are able to find that certain someone you can trust and open up too then yes therapy is worth it hun Yes you may become unstable at times but with your therapist help those times will become less and less as you heal Show your children it is ok to reach out for help when it is needed that is a good lesson to teach them too hun

NeedaName

I just wish I knew exactly how messy would this get?

The people I've known in my family that went to therapy attempted or committed suicide. My father and Grandmother tried. My uncle committed suicide. My cousin committed suicide. My Great-Grandfather committed suicide just a couple of years before I was born. And more distant relatives. I know well enough, therapy didn't cause them to commit suicide and I'm not suicidal and never have been. I just have this idea in my head that my family don't manage feelings so well.

I suppose, the goal would be to actually let my kids really get to know me and not just the handy paperdoll I made for everyone. Which is a hell of a lot more dangerous than it sounds.

It does not have to be dangerous you will have the support of your therapist to go slow at your pace to take small steps in a direction you want. I think the danger comes when we chose to continue to lock away ourselves inside to the point we cant find ourselves anymore.

It depends how much personal space one is keeping It is good to have some but when that space keeps others so far away we start to isolate then that is when danger comes does that make sense i sometimes don't make sense

i know just what you are talking about Needaname. Im just starting to get help now and its scaring me much more then i had expected. I want to know if ill be able to handle it...im still going through the assessment, which was supposed to be 2 days (4 hours all together) and i have been there for about 18 hours now and still havent finished the assement part. It terrifies me at the work ill have ahead of me. The doctor assured me that if he thought it was too dangerous to go over some past events it just wouldnt happen...and that the team of professionals monitor what they think someone can handle at a time. If it means treatment goes slower, then thats what happens. I have a family to care for as well and im so scared ill fall apart in the process but i have to trust the professionals will take care of me the best they can. I understand your fear though..it would be so helpful to be able to see into the future!
take care!
sweetsoleil

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.