More threads by kelsischanging

well this week it finally happened...my alcohol and drug abuse finally came out and now I am being forced to get treatment for it...on monday I went to see a psychiatrist and I was very honest w/ him....honest about my stubstance abuse, depression, and cutting. He wanted to put me inpatient right away...being that I am 18, a senior in high school, and i still live w/ my parents, my dr. was forced to talk to my mom...let's just say she had no idea what was going on in my life...at my house it's a don't ask, don't tell policy so if I went out for the night and didn't come home till the next morning, my mom would not say a word...anyway I was evaluated by a treatment center but didn't meet criteria for their program b/c I am a cutter and they are not equiped to deal w/ that...so as of today I have an evaluation w/ a partial hospitalization program on Tuesday...I have not had much access the drugs (I mostly used/abused prescription drugs) or alcohol...tonight I was able to score some Xanax and wine...also I am in and out of school so much right now till I start the program...I'm just so worried that my teachers are going to look at me differently..I'm a high functioning alcholic (I don't think I'm an alcoholic but that's what my psychiatrist called me) w/ a 4.0 GPA and have been excepted to six colleges...what are they going to think when they find out I won't be in class for six weeks while I am in a partial hospitalization program...I gave me guidance couselor permission to tell them that I am in a program b/c he said they would work w/ me more...anyway now on to my question....how do I answer other kids when they ask me where I have been between this week and the beginning of next out of eight school days I will have been or will be in only two and a half of them... this is all so new to me...I thought that this was still one thing that I was keeping under everyone else's radar...I'm just tryin' to process all this...also I feel like crap b/c of some of the w/draw stuff...anyway thanks for reading this...I needed to vent and tell my story to someone!
kelsey

Heather

Hi hun,

I am so sorry about all of this, I just hope that in the end it is all sorted out for you.

Can you just tell them you are ill? Some people call it an illness right, so that wouldn't exactly be lying!!!

I wish that I could help you, I really really do, sigh.

Heather...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That would be my suggestion, too - to say you are ill (maybe with a stress-related health issue) and that the doctors are doing some tests before deciding how best to treat you. No need to go into a lot of details (if they bug you for more details, just say it's highly contagious and you can pass it on to another person just be staring at them for too long - that should shut them up).

thanks for your suggestions...teens can be nosy but I know that it's none of their business...I feel that I will be able to face them....now if I can just get through treatment....it's been so hard to work on stopping...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.