More threads by Nikii

Nikii

Well just got an official diagnosis of PTSD from my therapist today. Strangely I feel angry about it in many ways...and yet it's a relief to have a name for everything I've been going through...I'm going to have to learn more about it, but my biggest fear is that I am saddled with some untreatable condition. I'm wondering what other folks felt like when first diagnosed?

mamatoady

It's not untreatable. I think what is most important is having a trusting relationship with someone who's willing to fight the fight with you. This could be a close friend, a therapist, a pastor...someone! I have healed immensley, but have much to work on. Just remember that healing will come faster if you dedicate yourself to healing and positive thinking. I know for me, I have experienced times when it was just too hard to do the work -- and I will stagnate and remain in that pain for a while. When I feel stronger or get a surge of motivation I work at it again and am amazed by what I can do.

It takes time--feel free to pm me if you need to.
Sarah

GDPR

GDPR
I'm wondering what other folks felt like when first diagnosed?

I was surprised when I was first diagnosed in 2010. I didn't really understand what PTSD was though.Once I read everything I could about it,I felt relieved I guess.I also felt a little mad.I have had these symptoms since I was a small child,I don't know how/why nobody ever noticed,not even school counselors or school psychologists.My current therapist recognized it within the first few sessions.

There's no cure,but it is treatable. I still struggle,but I am doing much better than I was before starting therapy 3 years ago,even though my t says I have 'constant' PTSD.

I think the most important thing is learning to manage symptoms.

---------- Post Merged at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:46 PM ----------

....and I just noticed this was another older thread too...

Nikii

So just a little update :) since I wrote that post in 2011. I am still in therapy with a really great T and steadily working through all the issues which caused the PTSD. I am doing about a million times better than I was. Having a therapist I really connected with and trust has really made the difference (that an a dogged determination to get through the rough stuff).

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
So glad to hear it Nikki!

....and I just noticed this was another older thread too...

That's perfectly fine. That's why we almost never close threads here. You never know where things members said in 2007 or 2010 are going to resonate or be helpful to newer members in 2013.

.....or when a reply to an old thread will prompt a nice update from someone whose work has really been paying off! :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.