More threads by emery2027

emery2027

Hi everyone,

I came to these forums because I find psychology fascinating, and I'm hoping that when I have a question or two I'll be able to find some answers. I am a short story author and I think it will be interesting to give some of my characters some personality disorders/mental problems, and I plan on doing some research so I know what I'm talking about! Also, even when I don't plan on using something in a storyline, I like learning about it simply because I love to learn. The human psyche is endlessly fascinating.

As for me, I'm pretty mentally healthy--I'm not the type to poison people's food or anything. I've got my share of quirks and phobias, I have Asperger Syndrome, and I have prosopagnosia (face blindness). But aside from all that, I think I pass as pretty normal.

So, that's my intro.

Retired

Hi Emery,

We'll be looking forward to your participation in discussions. Hope you find the info you're looking for on the Forum.

I have Asperger Syndrome

How has the adaptation been for you and does your Asperger's present you with any challenges?

ThatLady

:welcome: , emery! We've all got our quirks and phobias, but it's good to know you won't be poisoning the cookies and stuff! I'll look forward to learning more about you, and from you. :)

emery2027

Thank you all for the warm welcome messages. From the lurking I've done here recently, this seems like an intelligent and mature community, and I look forward to participating.

In response to TSOW's questions: Well, the thing about Asperger's is that I don't really know much about it yet. Up until this spring I didn't know anything about it except that it had "something to do with autism". Now that I know I have it, I'm interested in learning about it, but I'm just beginning. I always thought my differences were mine and mine alone. The things about me that people find "weird", I now know, are characteristics that many other people share, and it has a name! That's been a significant relief to me.

Yes I've had challenges due to AS. I won't go too in-depth here, since this is the intro forum and not the autism forum, but I'll highlight a few. I guess the hardest part hasn't been the symptoms themselves, but other people's reactions to them. One of the worst is my inability to make eye contact. That has caused me lots of problems, such as accusations that I'm lying or not paying attention to someone who is speaking to me. I have also been accused by many of being an uncaring, cold, unemotional person. While it's true that I don't feel many emotions as deeply as others, I certainly have emotions, it's just that I don't show them like other people do.

These are just a couple of examples of my symptoms and the negative reactions they elicit. I could go on for about a hundred pages! I'm looking forward to participating in the AS discussions here, so I can learn more about it and how to minimize the negatives.

Once again, thank you for the welcome!

Retired

Thanks Emery. I'll be looking forward into your personal insights into your recent realization about your diagnosis and your strategies to overcome the expressions of AS.

Being diagnosed later in life, as I can appreciate from my own experience with Tourette, presents some interesting challenges, which we can discuss elsewhere on the Forum.

Good to have you here!

:cool2:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.