More threads by Halo

Halo

Kara DioGuardi (Idol Judge) was a binge-eater
?Idol?s Kara suffered from eating disorder, music helped heal
By Greg David

American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi has had a rough week.

Hot on the heels of gossip that she and judge Paula Abdul hate each other, that she and judge Simon Cowell hate each other, and that she is leaving Idol at the end of the season (she says all of the stories are false), comes word of her real-life struggle with an eating disorder.

?I had a kind of binge-eating disorder, where instead of dealing with my emotions, I would stuff them down with food,? DioGuardi told Extra newsmagazine. ?I actually went into a treatment centre for it.?

The 38-year-old says she never starved herself or made herself throw up, but did eat excessively because she didn?t know how to deal with her feelings because she was shy, though creative.

She found salvation in music.

?The moment I started doing music, the moment I did what I loved to do, and committed to it, I didn?t have those problems anymore,? she says. ?I have that outlet, that form of expression. I can go to the studio and talk about my feelings.?

Hoping to help others, DioGuardi built a recording studio inside Phoenix House, a Los Angeles treatment centre that helps recovering addicts through music.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.