More threads by forgetmenot

work tonight so tired staff want do have potluck get together before i leave wish they understood how difficult that is for me
i said ok but now regretting that anxiety is so very high over this decision yes it is selfish of me not to want to do this but god 30 yrs there and i did not go to one social event
i attended the ones on floor because i could leave anytime i felt overwhelmed how do i leave when event is for me.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Do they know about the challenge you have with social anxiety Forgetmenot?

Maybe even if you just mentioned to the main one or two people who organised it, someone who seems safest and nicest, that you will only be able to manage 30 mins or something because social events are a challenge? I am sure they would understand?

Sometimes it also helps to have a 'role' or an 'agenda'. Maybe for each person, you could list something you have appreciated about them or want to thank them for. Then there is something to focus on during the event - the task of letting them know it at some point, as each person talks to you?

They might also ask about your future plans. Maybe even just for the sake of something to say, maybe there is a charity, volunteer work, or activity you could look into, so there's a possibility to talk about?... (You might even convince yourself too, and end up finding a new thing you're interested in aiming for...?)

Wow it is really hard, and it's brave of you that you agreed to it.... Maybe even doing some CBT beforehand, disarming the thoughts that go with this, could help....? I'll be thinking of you Forgetmenot....

---------- Post Merged at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:54 PM ----------

Argh, just realised I'm probably replying too late though.

no last day is may 18 19 dinner is may 16 um manager knows and girls should know as i have simply not gone to any event for 30 yrs
will talk to my therapist about this i will have to have an escape plan somewhere i can just go too when i feel so overwhelmed
pushing me to go out to to restaurant told them flat out NO pot luck on floor best i can do if that I like your ideas though have a plan already in my head what i am going to say to everyone ug just thank them all for being such a great team over they years and i will miss being able to converse with them something like that thanks for you input hun

Yes, maybe you could stay for the beginning, zip out on some unknown errand, then come back in the middle, then get someone to call you on your cell as an "emergency" and then come back at the end... Stay like 30 min each time!

Maybe it's healthy to be a smidgen out of your comfort zone? Any chance you'll be a little like me? I sometimes dread the thought of going out somewhere, but I make myself go because at least half the time I end up wanting to stay longer because I am surprised I am having a pretty darn good time after all...

I do always give myself an "out" just in case, though... Little white lie, something socially acceptable... On the other hand if your anxiety is harder to control, consider just staying for a while at the beginning, as was mentioned, and then leave early.

Maybe this could be your "coming out" party: you can tell everyone how you appreciate all the trouble they've gone to, but you have anxiety issues. You'll stay as long as you can, because you know they went to some trouble for you, but you can't stay more than (whatever you feel is appropriate) 30 min...

All this fear is irrational i know that like you said once i am there i will cope i will i always cope.
emotions i will deal with them i will i use humor
if i can station myself by the exit i will be ok nothing to fear
Stay the nurse stay in charge i am grateful that they want to show me they care
it is just me being so fearful over nothing nothing
personal space another issue but um somehow i will be ok iwill stay in control i will
see just have to keep my mind in control
i can wear the mask so well i can

four more shift
taking pictures as therapist said to
accepting hugs dm
see see i can do this oh exhausted another night tonight
left last night in extreme pain could barely walk to my vehicle
wish my body did not turn against me
i need to stay focus stay in control just play the part i started long ago
It is time it is time just another transition to get through

3 more shift and the potluck i am to go too anxiety is getting high and the sadness even more i may have to call t see if i can fit in anther session or i may just suck it up and just deal with it i hope i can

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Don't be afraid to call; your T will be very glad to help you through this as much as they possibly can.

Thinking of you. xx

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.