More threads by br350

B

br350

Hello everyone - I am so happy to have found this site. Can't believe with all my obsessive internet searching (smile) over the years, that I had not already stumbled across it.

I am a long time OCD sufferer with hypochondria as my main presentation. I am 44 and this began in my early 20's. I suffered from general anxieties and fears (sometimes intense) even as a child, but it really all coalesced after the sudden, unexpected death of my mother at the age of 41 (I was 20). After that, my health anxieties blossomed greatly and there began my road with depression (sometimes severe), anxiety, OCD and hypochondria.

Unlike some hypochondriacs, I do not doctor shop and I know that my illness fears are mainly rooted in my thought processes. I have been on/off medication for a number of years (currently on) and have resisted trying ERP because I feel that it does not address my basic, root fear of death and dying. After all, how can CBT help me to stop fearing death? Isn't that an instinctual, basic fear that we all possess (or most of us) to some degree? For me, it is just overwhelming and obviously unhealthy.

I am reading Dr. David Burns' book "When Panic Attacks" and feel I am ready to really try and give his CBT techniques a shot. I realize I have nothing to lose as I have already lost so many precious years in a state of worry and panic to the OCD.

I look forward to thoughts from others who have OCD/hypochondria. Particularly I am interested in knowing if ERP and CBT in general have helped you enough to go off medication and/or to have some semblance of proper perspective of your health fears.

Thanks in advance.

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks, br350! Hope you find the information and support you're looking for here on the Forum. Glad you found us!

I often have trouble with breaking my own patterns. I don't know if that is OCD or not. I just know that it takes alot for me to stop myself from thinking negatively. I really respect your courage and talking about your experiences so directly. It took me a long time to get to that point.

B

br350

Thank you Steve. I am hoping that I can wade through the information on this site and find things that help. There seems to be very little info out there on those who suffer from health anxiety. I hope to find others who have shared this experience and see if we can offer support/help to one another.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

doubledownburger, thank you for your comments. I have suffered from this for so long that I have nothing to lose in laying it out in the open. I just want to find others who have shared experiences similar to mine and hopefully we can offer support, encouragement and help to one another. You are probably much more courageous than you are giving yourself credit for. :)

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
Hi br350,

Welcome.

...After all, how can CBT help me to stop fearing death? Isn't that an instinctual...

I think it is kind of healthy to be afraid of death, pain and asparagus. :) But the idea is that with help, you put it in balance. I am eventually going to stub my toe again but I can not let that prevent me from doing things. Put the fear in perspective and balance and try to live more happily.
Peter

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.