More threads by newuser

newuser

Good day everyone,

I am in need of so much needed advice that I can't seam to find inside my self. Hopefully I can get some idea's from the great people of this message board. This may be long but I will try and keep it as short and straight to the point.

I quit my job last summer and decided to go travel Asia, Australia for 5 months. This was something I was dying to do and being 24 I figured I was young and had enough money saved up and I probably would never get this chance later in life to do this. So I took off on a journey for 5 months and was the best learning experience I have ever experienced in my whole life.

I got back to the town I lived in before and my boss has offered me my job back with the company I left. I never went seeking work I just went back to the store to visit my old co-workers. When I was traveling I decided I would do a trade in electrical when I got home. The thing is I did poorly in Math , English and Physics in school and now have to upgrade those courses. You can do the courses at home but alot of the tests are during the day time and if you need help you can only get help during day hours. This makes for a have a huge decision, my old boss wants me back full-time, I was working Mon-Fri , off by 4pm and had a salary of 40,000yr. My boss really wants me back along with my co-workers and he wants me back long-term career wise.The thought of me trying to get on part time is not a option as they don't do part time. I don't live in a city so 40,000 is manageable to live off of but could get tough if kids come in to a picture down the road but also could depend on what the wife makes. I also don't know 100% if I will even like doing electrical, all I know is you can make a great living with it and usually can find a job anywhere in the world and always have that ticket.

I enjoy reading self-help books and everything always says find your passion. I tried doing flying lessons 4 years ago and quit because I failed a test, but it was something I enjoyed reading about and learning about and I always enjoy going to the airport and taking a plane somewhere. The thing is with the airline industry it is so hard to make a living in today's world and there is so many pilots getting laid off, everyone says don't do it. Also the fact you could be away from home lot's makes it hard for a family life.

To add to this I live with my parents and the town I live in is not full of younger people and I really don't have any friends that I hang out with on Friday or Saturday nights. I have around 50 facebook friends and majority live in my town that I just know through my parents over the years. I was thinking If I took my old job back saved up for a house or something least this way I could invite people over for drinks or whatever, where living with your parents it makes that quite tough to do. At my old work I got along with my co-workers but they were all 8-15 years older then myself and always doing that family thing. It made it tough to go out for drinks with them, when we did I enjoyed my time. My old job was just sales, basically a labour job so I have no college/uni degree but it's a business that will probably never go out of business and are well known.

Sorry a bit long and bit scrambled tried to make as much sense as I could. If there is any advice out there it would greatly appreciated.

Cheers !!!

Banned

Banned
Hi newuser,

Welcome to Psychlinks.

The good part is that you're young, and have alot of options available to you. Is it an option to take your old job back (assuming you enjoyed it?) and take some online courses to get you started in the field you're interested? This would allow you to work and earn some income, without giving up the option of a great job for something you don't even know if you'll like doing. There are many online courses and tutorials that could help you out.

Also, I want to mention that as I said you're young and I think going to travel was an awesome idea. It's something I wish I'd done when I was younger but I jumped right into the corporate work world not having a clue what I wanted to do. I worked in many, many different industries (including the airline) and was about 32 before I finally settled on something. Even at that, I'm not entirely committed to it. Although I own my own business and work full time and then some, I'm taking some classes at the local uni "just to see". My point being - you have lots of time to figure out your career path, and experimenting with various career options can be really valuable in figuring out what you don't want to do and what you do. Can you apprentice with a local electrical company in the evenings after work (even as a volunteer) to see if you're interested? Or get some books from the library. There are also websites that can tell you the employment possibilities and average income for various careers.

Taking your old job back sounds like a good first move, and saving for your own house is a great goal. Sounds like you probably know what you're doing, but just need a bit of reassurance?

Yuray

Hi newuser

Can't help you with a decision or offer a course to take, but I do offer this:

I was working Mon-Fri , off by 4pm and had a salary of 40,000yr.

I don't know of anyone without college or university that makes this much. (barring union auto workers). 40k yr means 29k take home, in your pocket. Not bad.

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks newuser. At one time there were "Industrial Psychologists" who could perform various tests and provide counseling on career choices. I don't know if that specialty still exists, and would ask one of our Forum members if they know if industrial psychologists still practice and how to find one.

Banned

Banned
I think they're called applied psychologists now (I could be wrong) but I think any psychologist would have access to the Strong Interest Inventory, which is an extensive questionnaire that will help you figure out what you're good at and where your interests may lie, which may help with career choices (or not. Mine said I should be a nurse or a cook - two things I hate. But other things were pretty accurate.).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.