More threads by Chain Lightning

I am posting this because I am so happy it worked!

Sometimes I have major anxiety to the point where I freak out and panic and also avoid going places much of the time. My therapist said something that really stuck in my head this week. I was telling her how it sucked when I freak out and she said something like yeah, but has anybody ever died from that? I thought...wait...she's right!

So now I go out places that bother me and when I start to feel nervous I think what is it that I am afraid of? I then realize that its paranoid and irrational to think just because somebody looks at me means they are thinking something negative about me. So then I reassure myself that not only is it unlikely but also who cares anyway and nothing bad is going to happen to me...and I calm down.

Another problem that I have and I don't know how to solve though is sometimes I can't keep myself from laughing or smiling...but for no reason and it looks weird if I am not with anyone. I'll think of stuff that's funny or just feel that way and for no reason want to bust out laughing. Its awkward and I don't know what to do...thinking about something else doesn't help. Last night I was with my mom at the grocery store and was laughing my ass off and she even threatened to leave LOL. People think I am on drugs...I've had people even ask me that on many occasions...they also point out my pupils are huge...yeah so? Any ideas?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Chain Lightning I am happy you were able to apply your therapists advice when anxious.

Regarding the laughing, it happens to me every once in a while too. I try to apply what my Psychiatrist told me about anxiety to this as well. "No one cares what you are doing they are all too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs"

So if I am alone and laughing to others it could be for any particular reason. Maybe a store clerk made a joke etc. I try not to worry about it much and enjoy that I am laughing as apose to crying. :blush:

Interms of the dialated pupils. I get this too when I have to take my Clonazepam. If it is bothersome to me, I wear sunglasses when outside. I think it is good anyway to protect my eyes, more so when my pupils are dialated.

I don't have much good advise on those other things. Really just wanted to congradulate you on your breakthrough :)

I'm not on any meds and they are very dilated...people ask me "are you on acid?" or just give me weird looks in general. Its awkward sometimes. The light doesn't bother me though you'd think it would. But I hate trying not to laugh like if am paying for something. One time I was checking out a book at the library and couldn't stop laughing. The clerk thought it was hilarious and was like "whatever you have been smoking I want some too"...:rolleyes: I couldn't make him believe me I wasn't on any drugs...so just went along with it :lmao:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.