More threads by Retired

Retired

On two of my systems running the current version of Windows 10 Creators edition, suddenly Malwarebytes Premium began to be unstable. Real Time Protection was turned off, and would indicate "starting" when attempted to be turned on, but wold not turn on. If MB was shut down and restarted, it seemed to restart correctly, but in minutes become unstable again.

I am not sure if other peculiar behavior in the entire system was associated with MB instability, but a search for Malwarebytes Problems indicated an earlier version of a MB installation might be the problem.

I uninstalled MB (making sure I saved the license information) and reinstalled it again using the current downloaded installation from the MB site.

Applied my license information and both systems now appear to be stable again.

Not sure what that was all about, but seems to have been associated with Windows 10 Creators update.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The Windows 10 Fall Creation Edition included some significant changes to Windows Defender. My guess is these were probably the reason MalWareBytes failed and a reinstall fixed the issues.

Retired

The Windows 10 Fall Creation Edition included some significant changes to Windows Defender. My guess is these were probably the reason MalWareBytes failed and a reinstall fixed the issues.

Yes, interaction or interference with Windows Defender was one of the issues reported by users. The curious thing was the overall effect on system instability that occurred simultaneously on two separate and independent computers with no warning or obvious error messaging.

The only clue pointing to Malwarebytes was the program's own instability in connection with "Real Time Protection" a feature enabled only on the Premium (paid) version.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Steve, do you have both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Real Time Protection enabled? If so, they will conflict with one another and slow down your system.

My recommendation is enable Windows Defender and disable Real Time Protection in Malwarebytes. Also disable autorun on Malwarebytes and just use it as an on demand second opinion to run manually periodically.

GaryQ

MVP
Windows defender automatically re-enables auto protection after being turned off for a while so that's not an option.
Technically though Malwarebytes and windows defender are supposed to play along nicely with each other without noticeable lag contrary to many other anti-virus/malware programs.

The patches for the spectre/meltdown threats in windows seems to slowdown PCs. Not as noticeable on faster PCs but I can imagine older slower machines having hiccups. My Core2 Quad seems to have slowed down since the latest updates/patches from MS. Internet "Expropriator" for one is sometimes sluggish even on psychlinks.

Steve: Are your computers running smoothly since you updated MB?

Retired

Technically though Malwarebytes and windows defender are supposed to play along nicely with each other without noticeable lag contrary to many other anti-virus/malware programs.

......Steve: Are your computers running smoothly since you updated MB?

It's been my understanding that MBAM is designed to coexist with other security programs, and has never been an issue in the several years I've had it installed on several systems.

Both my own systems and those I help manage that I've updated are running very s-m-o-o-o-o-t-l-y .....so far..;)

GaryQ

MVP
With Windows 10 Defender has gotten better but it's not the safest thing to rely on and unfortunately you can't turn it off :mad:
So many sites are getting hacked that would normally appear safe that browsing with just Defender is risky.
Malwarebytes premium also blocks suspicious websites, redirects and port intrusion attempts in real time.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have actually found the opposite.

Windows Defender has kept my desktop and laptop clean from everything since I started using it 3-4 years ago.

Malwarebytes, on the other hand, is slower on my systems and is overinclusive. Yes, it "catches" things Windows Defender doesn't but what it catches are false positives.

I periodically run other scanners including Malwarebytes "just in case" but I have never found anything not identified by Windows Defender that wasn't a false positive.

GaryQ

MVP
I just exclude the false positives when I am really sure that's what they are.
I prefer over safe than sorry. But if you periodically scan you should be fine.
You want false positive try unhackme. :D Put a shortcut on the desktop and it flags it as suspicious

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.