More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
Managing Triggers

1.) Always have a notepad or a journal handy to write your thoughts and feelings down in.

2.) Keep an Inspirational object nearby to help calm you once you need that sense of connection to help break your mind of the trigger.

3.) Make sure that you are in a comfortable place.

4.) Remind yourself of the goals and aspirations you seek in life and the outcome they will bring in the long run and remind yourself that you have a new life now and it can exist without the pain of the past.

5.) Process your triggers, instead of getting angry at them...find out what significance they have whether it's personal or revengeful you have every right to address those feelings to help you heal so that you can look at life in a whole new light.

6.) Honor and comfort your pain. Trust your feelings in order to validate your experience.

Questions to ask yourself about your triggers:

Coping with triggers for rape and sexual abuse survivors
Triggers are difficult to face because they can produce extraordinarily difficult reactions in us, ranging from discomfort and anxiety to panic attacks or flashbacks. However, most of us would like to live without being triggered, which can require us to confront our triggers and really work on them. Below are questions meant to aid you in understanding and facing your triggers.

• What specifically triggers you? Our triggers are all unique. Some women find that phrases the abuser used are triggering, while others find that places, smells or sights provoke a response.
  • How are these triggers affecting you? Nightmares, flashbacks, panic attacks, anxiety, and intrusive thoughts can all be signs that we are being triggered.
  • Which triggers produce the biggest response? Which triggers provoke a milder response? It may help to actually rate them.
  • How do these triggers interfere with your life? Some people find that they avoid specific places where they are likely to be triggered. Others find that they do not go out often to avoid a trigger response.
  • Which triggers interfere with your life the most? Which ones interfere the least?
  • Which triggers are probably unsafe? Which triggers are safe to work on? For instance, going out alone at night produces anxiety in some survivors and this may be very unsafe. Going to the grocery store might produce the same reaction, but it is probably safe.
  • Can you evaluate your trigger? For instance, I was initially frightened to go to work, but after thinking about the worst that could happen and the likelihood of that happening, I decided that it was a safe place for me to start. This kind of evaluation process can help with all sorts of triggers.
  • After thinking about your triggers, which ones can you manage to work on at the moment? It's probably not a great idea to work on the most difficult to face trigger, because those are tough.
  • How can you work on facing the trigger safely? Sometimes it helps to actually imagine yourself handling a situation that triggers you, like going to a crowded place, before you actually do it.
  • Can you make a plan to keep yourself feeling safe while you do? I have worked on a lot of triggers with the help of a counselor or my partner, which helps me feels prepared when I am facing a trigger.
  • How did you feel as you faced your trigger? It may have been uncomfortable, but could you do it again? What helped? What made you feel more uncomfortable?
I hope these suggestions help you. Panic attacks, nightmares, and flashbacks feel horrible, but you can overcome them

thanks Jazzy my therapist tried to use triggers to get me to recall things but it was to traumatic for me i told him i couldn't go back there again He said he understood but sometimes i feel he is still using words that set my mind going again He is able to draw anger out in me i never knew i had and this anger actually gives me energy to get thru another day is it so necessary to bring out all the pain then send me home to deal with it when i can't do it i decide to go to him only every other week now because i really don't know what to expect from the therapy

Jazzey

Account Closed
I think it's a process Mary. A difficult one at times, but a necessary one if we're ever to really heal. So we have to garner some strength, do the heavy work (and the hard stuff) so that we can one day move on from all of this experience...

The anger is part of it. Unfortunately, with this kind of therapy and background, I think that the progress is really bit by bit. It's so emotional and so deep within us that it's not something we accomplish from one therapy session to the next. And we have to be ok with that...

:support: Mary.

is it so necessary to bring out all the pain then send me home to deal with it when i can't do it i decide to go to him only every other week now because i really don't know what to expect from the therapy

Hi Mary - I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time dealing with the aftermath of therapy sessions. Did you mention to the therapist how difficult it is for you after the session? I hope going to therapy every other week won't mean that you will suffer alone for two weeks, rather than one ....I understand you are trying to lengthen the time between getting upset again but I am concerned it will just mean you will suffer twice as long. Do you think you will be able to get over the upset on your own with the increased amount of time? I know that doesn't happen for me.

:support:

im finding it very difficult really just trying to bury it again iwish icould take cat dancers pain away from her she is so strong i wish she knew this i have had this in me too long to let it go im 50 now and wish i just didn't go back my other child is getting to hard to handle she cries alot something i hate 2 weeks is avery long time to suffer but i don't know if i will go back again the dr is very good at what he does he brings the pain out without me noticing it and before too late the child is back

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Mary,

So does that mean that you appreciate that bringing out your inner child is a good thing? Or, are you resentful for the inner child? I would think that your doctor bringing this out is a good thing. Having said this, I'm new to all of this...and still trying to understand all of it...(38 years old and new to therapy).

Bringing the other child back is not a good thing at all. I'm sorry i think I'm just upset for cat dancer, I want her to be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzey

Account Closed
That's what this site is about Mary - we support one another. I can tell you that Cat Dancer was here today. I hope she's ok too. For right now though, if you need support...we're here for you too. A few of us have been through this Mary. It doesn't make it ok - but it makes us pretty good at listening :) if and when you want to talk Mary...:)

Thanks jazzey just flash backs thats all not real just stupid saddness im old now this too will end just know i was never to tell and never will god i hate that this happened to cat dancer and to others too there is no god in my books i jsut want this to end soon but have to stay for my daughter know this i appreciate all this site does tahnks mary

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks jazzey just flash backs thats all not real just stupid saddness im old now this too will end just know i was never to tell and never will god i hate that this happened to cat dancer and to others too there is no god in my books i jsut want this to end soon but have to stay for my daughter know this i appreciate all this site does tahnks mary

I know the struggle is difficult at times Mary. And, you're not old -and, you have a daughter that needs you - whole. While I know that the journey can be difficult, the journey that you're on is no longer just for yourself. Just as for Cat Dancer. She works hard every day for her family as I do for mine...So you can't give up that fight Mary. I'm happy you joined us on this site. And, I hope that you'll continue to lean on us for the next little while.

I'm not asking you to believe in a God - that's really personal to each and every one of us. But i am asking that you keep believing in yourself and the general beauty of this life - as it's shown to you through your daughter...She still needs you Mary. Just as I still need my mom at my age...

Thanks Jazzey. I know I have to be strong for my daughter. She is the only reason I'm still here after everything that has and is happening. I really don't know what to say to my doctor but I will see him wednesday now, not a week away. I wish I knew what to tell him. But you must know I just can't, something inside me stops me from saying anything. I want to, really. The nurse in me says stop being a stupid idiot and open up mary but I just freeze, I just clam up because I want to stay in control maybe. Thanks again for all your support especially yesterday. Take care Jazzey, thanks mary.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Mary,

I'm happy to hear that you have that appointment on Wednesday. So, what do you say to him initially? Why not start with "I'm struggling with a few issues". He'll prompt you Mary. He'll take it from there.

Therapy is a process. You won't get it all done on Wednesday. But saying that you're struggling with a few issues right now is a good place to start.

I would mention your daughter, your brother's suicide and all the things you've mentioned here with us. In fact, if you're not comfortable talking out loud, why not print some of the posts here and present them to him? Or, simply keep them as points to bring up during that session?

You'll be in my thoughts Mary. I'm really happy you're getting that support and I hope that you'll tell us how it went too. :) :support:

Thanks jazzey. I'll start with I'm struggling with some issues...I'll let you know how it goes.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.