More threads by Ashley-Kate

today i saw a psychiatrist with my psychologist and well he deducted or more like told me that i have many clinical symptoms of depression .. he told me that he wants to medicate me cause he thinks that i am only getting worst and at the moment i am in a treatment programme for an e-d.. and i am trying to get rid of one probleme but it only seems to be getting the other even harder to deel with that is the deprssion. i spoke to mymother about the medication and for the longest time she has been against all medication and well lets just say she gave me her opinion yet again.. i did refuse the meds because mostly of that but i was woundering is it possible for your parents not to be aware of it ..and well my psychologist thinks that my mom just doesn,t know how much pain i am in so she can't really say that .. anyway i basicly was woundering at my age (17) is my mother obligated to know...
youurs trully
ashley-kate

today i saw a psychiatrist with my psychologist and well he deducted or more like told me that i have many clinical symptoms of depression .. he told me that he wants to medicate me cause he thinks that i am only getting worst and at the moment i am in a treatment programme for an e-d.. and i am trying to get rid of one probleme but it only seems to be getting the other even harder to deel with that is the deprssion. i spoke to mymother about the medication and for the longest time she has been against all medication and well lets just say she gave me her opinion yet again.. i did refuse the meds because mostly of that but i was woundering is it possible for your parents not to be aware of it ..and well my psychologist thinks that my mom just doesn,t know how much pain i am in so she can't really say that .. anyway i basicly was woundering at my age (17) is my mother obligated to know...
youurs trully
ashley-kate

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No. Professional ethics are clear on that. You may not be at the age of legal majority yet but generally speaking you have a right to confidentiality by your age (even younger than 17 in many or most cases).

Of course, once you return home, isn't she going to know about it then? For one thing, will you be able to afford to pay for renewing the prescriptions on your own?

Why not talk to the psychologist and psychiatrist about the problem? It might help if they spoke directly with your mother to explain why the medication is necessary. I have done that on several occasions in similar circumstances and in most cases that strategy has been quite successful.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No. Professional ethics are clear on that. You may not be at the age of legal majority yet but generally speaking you have a right to confidentiality by your age (even younger than 17 in many or most cases).

Of course, once you return home, isn't she going to know about it then? For one thing, will you be able to afford to pay for renewing the prescriptions on your own?

Why not talk to the psychologist and psychiatrist about the problem? It might help if they spoke directly with your mother to explain why the medication is necessary. I have done that on several occasions in similar circumstances and in most cases that strategy has been quite successful.

Eunoia

even if you can chose to take the medication, as David said you can, I guess you have 2 things left to deal w/. one, how to pay for the meds once you're out of treatment and two, whether to tell your mom or not. If your therapists are correct and your mom just doesn't fully understand what you're going through, I agree that it would be in your best interest for now and in the LT to have them talk to your mom w/ you there, so that she can learn to understand more about this and the benefits of medication. This way, you don't have to hide taking meds from her if you chose to do so, they're part of you trying to get better and accepting treatement so it should be nothing to be ashamed of. And you're in therapy as well, so it's not like you're tryingt to fix all probs w/ meds (as your mom thinks that's what meds are for) without actually working through things. take it into consideration but ask as many questions as you have, so you can make an educated and informed decision about what you put into your body.

Eunoia

even if you can chose to take the medication, as David said you can, I guess you have 2 things left to deal w/. one, how to pay for the meds once you're out of treatment and two, whether to tell your mom or not. If your therapists are correct and your mom just doesn't fully understand what you're going through, I agree that it would be in your best interest for now and in the LT to have them talk to your mom w/ you there, so that she can learn to understand more about this and the benefits of medication. This way, you don't have to hide taking meds from her if you chose to do so, they're part of you trying to get better and accepting treatement so it should be nothing to be ashamed of. And you're in therapy as well, so it's not like you're tryingt to fix all probs w/ meds (as your mom thinks that's what meds are for) without actually working through things. take it into consideration but ask as many questions as you have, so you can make an educated and informed decision about what you put into your body.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.