More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
Trusting Your Memories of Sexual Abuse - an article for survivors
by Kali Munro, M.Ed., Psychotherapist

Acknowledging That You Were Sexually Abused
It can take a long time for survivors to be able to say that they know for sure that they were sexually abused. Acknowledging that the abuse happened is an important step in healing from sexual abuse.

Many survivors waver on this issue for years, even after they do acknowledge that they were abused. This is a natural reaction and is quite self-protective, after all it is extremely painful to acknowledge that a trusted adult betrayed and hurt you in this way. It inevitably raises the question "if I wasn't safe with him/her, how can I be safe anywhere?" That can be a overwhelming thought especially if you don't know how to feel safer in the world.

Worrying That You Can't Trust Your Memories
Some survivors worry that maybe their mind is playing tricks on them, they imagined it, their memories aren't real, and perhaps they made it all up. They think maybe they've watched too much T.V., or read too many books on the subject, or they've listened to too many survivors tell their stories. This is an understandable worry, especially when there is a well-funded organization of people (whom their children said sexually abused them) who state that recovered memories are not accurate and are created by reading books, seeing therapists, and the like.

Not wanting to believe that you or others were sexually abused as children is understandable -- it's never been easy for the human race to acknowledge all kinds of horrors committed by people, especially those committed in our own backyards. But, just because it's not easy, and just because we don't or can't believe it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Do People Forget Traumatic Events?
A common worry for survivors (again especially since the creation of the so-called False Memory Syndrome Foundation) is whether or not they can trust their recovered memories to be accurate. Recovered memories are memories that you didn't always have, they emerge later in life often after being triggered by some event.

We know with certainty that people forget traumatic events. Probably the best examples are of people's experiences of wars and car accidents. There are men who fought in wars who remember little of what happened, yet there is no question that they were there and that the war happened. Many people who survive serious car accidents do not remember the accident. People forget overwhelming traumatic events.

Traumatic Reactions Exist Even Without Memories
Many individuals develop trauma related reactions, even when they have no memory of the incident. For example, many people who have experienced serious car accidents and who do not remember the accident have strong negative reactions to being in a car or driving by the scene of the accident (even when they do not remember where the accident took place.) Many war veterans who have little memory of the war will suddenly duck when they hear a loud sound without understanding why.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - According to the DSM-III-R
These reactions are called post-traumatic reactions -- also known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. People will often have post-traumatic reactions even when they have no memory of the trauma itself. These reactions include:

• intense fear and terror;
  • helplessness;
  • re-experiencing the traumatic event, flashbacks, flooding;
  • avoiding situations that are associated with the traumatic event;
  • numbing, feelings of detachment or estrangement from others;
  • hyper-vigilance;
  • nightmares;
  • panic attacks, anxiety attacks;
  • insomnia;
  • irritability or outbursts of anger;
  • difficulty concentrating;
  • exaggerated startle response;
  • physiological responses such as intense sweating, heart racing, trembling, shaking.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms May Develop After Memories Are Recovered
It's possible for someone to have no or few memories of sexual abuse, and to not have post-traumatic symptoms or to have only mild symptoms. Sometimes, post-traumatic symptoms don't develop until memories come back. This is why it is possible to feel relatively unaffected by sexual abuse only to have post-traumatic reactions emerge later when sexual abuse memories start emerging. Most often, people can look back after remembering sexual abuse, and recognize ways in which they had been affected by the abuse without having been aware of it at the time.

Memories That Were Forgotten Can Return
To recap, we know that people forget traumatic events. We know that even without memories of the event, people have post-traumatic reactions even in relatively mild forms. We also know that memories once forgotten can return. Again, this has been documented with war veterans who initially forgot their war experiences and then remembered them later usually via spontaneous flashbacks.

Are Recovered Memories Accurate?
While all memory, especially declarative memory -- the story or details of the event -- is reconstructive (recreated over time) this does not diminish the truthfullness of the memory itself. Sometimes because recovered memories can be hazy, it can be hard to be sure of all the details. Sometimes, because of how memories are categorized by our minds, it is possible to remember two different incidents as having occurred at the same time. Again, just because this happens doesn't mean that what happened isn't true, only that the events may not have happened in that exact way.

A good analogy is people are in a bank when a bank robbery occurs. They are frightened by the robbers and their guns, and are afraid for their safety. After a robbery, it is not uncommon for witnesses to contradict each other about the colour of the robbers' clothing, even what race they were, and the total numbers of robbers present. But, no one is uncertain about the fact that there was a robbery and that they were scared for their lives.

While no survivor can be certain that every single detail of their memories of sexual abuse are precisely accurate, it is possible to be confident that the crime of sexual abuse occurred, to know who did it and to know approximately what age you were.

Implicit Memories Are the Most Accurate
In the robbery example, witnesses were not only certain that they had witnessed a bank robbery, but were intensely aware of how they felt during the robbery, and/or after the robbery -- delayed reactions are quite common after traumatic events. They felt afraid for their lives, their hearts raced, they felt paniced, and experienced other similar reactions.

Trauma related reactions -- heart racing, sweating, fear, trembling, depersonalization -- and other physical and emotional responses are known as implicit memories because they require no conscious memory of the event to be experienced. Remember the example of the car accident survivor who got upset when she drove near the scene of the accident that she had no memory of? That is implicit memory. Implicit memories, unlike declarative memories, are much more reliable. For example, people are far more likely to be accurate about the fact that they smelled alcohol on their abuser's breath, and that they felt searing pain in or on some part of their body than they are about what the abuser was wearing, or what day it was.

Implicit memories include all physical and emotional reactions -- body sensations, smells, sounds, tastes, touch -- which do not require conscious memory of the event itself. Implicit memories also include skills that do not require conscious memory of having been learned in order to be performed.

An example of an implicit skill is someone who, due to brain damage, cannot remember learning to play the piano but can still play the piano. While I haven't seen this issue incorporated into the trauma research, I think implicit learning might, at least partly explain why some survivors repeat trauma related behaviors. By trauma related behaviors I mean engaging in behaviors that were learned during abuse, for example feeling like you are performing during sex, knowing how to perform certain sex acts prior to your first sexual experience, getting involved with people who are similar to your abusers and perhaps behaving toward them in ways that you learned during abuse, and prostitution. These behaviors are known to many survivors even without conscious memories of the abuse.

In sum, the research on implicit memories tells us that our memories of smell, taste, body sensations, emotions, and sounds -- none of which require thought or conscious recall -- are the most accurate memories. Some of these ways of remembering abuse have been called body memories and feel very real to people. When survivors have body memories, it can feel as though you are back there being abused again, feeling the physical and emotional pain vividly. That's how real they are.

What We Know About Traumatic Memories
We know that:

• People forget traumatic incidents.
  • People have trauma related reactions without any memory of what happened.
  • Traumatic memories can emerge a long time after the traumatic event took place, often so intensely it may feel as if it is happening in the present.
  • Recovered memories of sexual abuse are valid even if all the details aren't precisely accurate.
  • Implicit memories -- those of smell, taste, sound, touch, body sensations and feelings -- are the most accurate, much more accurate than declarative memories -- memories about the concrete details.
You Can Trust Your Memories
What all of this means is that you can trust your inner knowledge, feelings, body memories, and visual memories to tell you the truth. Perhaps not an accurate, detailed record of what happened, but still the truth.

While it's very painful to face sexual abuse, it can also be very liberating. Give yourself the opportunity to feel better about yourself by believing in your own memories. You deserve to believe in yourself.

Resources:
For some excellent research summaries about traumatic memories, see RECOVERED MEMORIES OF SEXUAL ABUSE: SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH & SCHOLARLY RESOURCES By Jim Hopper, Ph.D.

For an excellent article about traumatic memories and the body, see The Body Keeps the Score: Memory and the Evolving Psychobiology of Posttraumatic Stress by Bessel A. van der Kolk, MD.

For an excellent article about the fragmentary nature of traumatic memories, see Dissociation and the Fragmentary Nature of Traumatic memories: Overview and Exploratory Study. by Bessel A. van der Kolk & Rita Fisler
? Kali Munro, 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzey

Account Closed
I think the problem is that, because it's traumatic, we don't have the benefit of all of those details. Or at least, I don't. But it doesn't invalidate the experience CD. So when I read that sentence, I'm interpreting it to be that, even if we do get 'some of the details' incorrect, it doesn't mean that the experience itself didn't happen.

We were children, in the face of a traumatic experience. For me at least, I can't remember the bulk of it - just snippets. I don't doubt that I went through it, I'm just not relying on the details to confirm the experience. I know I have it, I know that I can't remember certain details.

That's the way that I read it. But maybe Dr. Baxter can shed a little more light on it...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes, Jazzey's correct. As I've said previously, the process of recovering memories is a tricky one and therapists have to be very careful in approaching this not to inadvertently "implant" false memories. My personal preference is to let memories emerge on their own unaided. It is especially important that a therapist not presume from other symptoms that abuse must have occurred and thereby implant that suggestion in the client.

But this article is talking about accurate recovered memories, noting that the adult may not recover full details of the event or events but that this does not mean that the memory is not valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm still waiting for the KNOWING to be liberating. I've always remembered and always known and I wish I didn't. Facing it hasn't been very helpful so far. Is there a point where it will be? Where I will accept it or something and move on?

Jazzey

Account Closed
Yes :).

It's not a matter of 'accepting' that what was done was ok - It really wasn't. But we do have to acknowledge that this is part of our experiences. It doesn't make us bad people, but we can learn to accept that we have experiences that, while traumatic, are beyond those of other people's experiences with their families (that's the hardest part I think). I hate seeing my family differently from the families of some of my close friends - but, it is what it is.

It's really a matter of listening to our internal voices and saying - 'yes, this did happen to me, and I'll be ok'.

It took me the experiences of this year to get it CD -but, for me, that voice is just now saying - "yes, you are a victim of childhood sexual abuse", "it did happen".

And that, for now at least, is enough for me. It validates so much about me. Just from having listened to you since I've been here CD "Yes, it happened to you too - and you're an incredible force to be reckoned with - you will be ok...always". You have a fortitude and an internal insight that makes me know that you'll be just fine. :)

In working with my therapist I am finding that even if I sort of focus on the memories I do have, it's like that is enough to extend to the more fuzzy incomplete memories, that I don't have to feel the need to remember everything because in fact it can't be remembered since it went on for so many years.

Its effect on me was to leave me thinking that there are demons (particularly one of the perpetrators who is dead) and I have to work on changing my thinking. Medicine helps and writing.

Although I do have an illness that requires medication, I don't necessarily "blame" it on having been abused and raped but I don't really know and in the final analysis it doesn't change the fact that I have it. Rather, I try now to look at the fact that I have a job that I can do and try to say how much I (and my siblings) have overcome even though we retain scars. We did and do survive, slip down slippery slopes, and climb back up again. I am in a somewhat better place right now, but still very scared.

Take care,

TG

Yes :).

And that, for now at least, is enough for me. It validates so much about me. Just from having listened to you since I've been here CD "Yes, it happened to you too - and you're an incredible force to be reckoned with - you will be ok...always". You have a fortitude and an internal insight that makes me know that you'll be just fine. :)

Thanks for saying that. :)

I just kind of feel right now that I've been there, done that with facing it or talking about it and nothing's changed. If that makes sense? I've dealt with a lot of other things in the over three years of therapy and I think I've made progress. I do really well with the here and now changing of my thoughts, the CBT therapy. It seems to really help and then I wonder if trying to deal with the past is just a waste of time because it's something that's totally out of my control and gone. I can't change it. I can only change how I think about it and I've really worked on doing so and I'm not sure if there's much use of continuing down that path. I want and need to live in the here and now and, for me, going back seems more harmful than useful at this point in my life.

I think dealing with it is probably helpful for some, maybe most, people, but I'm wondering if it might not be good for me. Sigh.

AllyCat

Thanks Jazzey, for posting this. I know I can trust what I remember and I know that I don't remember other things for a reason, it's to keep me safe and sane. It is very interesting how the mind works.

About memories of abuse

I wanted to talk about this a little, but didn't want to sidetrack this thread:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/adult-su...of-sexual-abuse-an-article-for-survivors.html

Honestly I have issues with this article and I think it's because of these two statements:

Some survivors worry that maybe their mind is playing tricks on them, they imagined it, their memories aren't real, and perhaps they made it all up. They think maybe they've watched too much T.V., or read too many books on the subject, or they've listened to too many survivors tell their stories. This is an understandable worry, especially when there is a well-funded organization of people (whom their children said sexually abused them) who state that recovered memories are not accurate and are created by reading books, seeing therapists, and the like.

A common worry for survivors (again especially since the creation of the so-called False Memory Syndrome Foundation) is whether or not they can trust their recovered memories to be accurate.

It seems like she's denying that false memories exist at all. It seems biased to me. I do think there is a lot of truth to much of what she says in the article, but it's not balanced and I think some acknowledgement of the fact that memories CAN be implanted would have made it more credible to me. I went through something in the 90s with a therapist that really shook me up later and made me realize that memory implantation can in fact happen. And I remember reading books with lists of symptoms that said if you have these symptoms then you have, in fact, been abused.

The whole issue just seems confusing and scary. I KNOW that true memories can be forgotten and recovered later.

Also, we know that therapists can inadvertently push people to remember something that never happened, but can people be influenced by media, books, articles, even the internet to remember something that didn't happen?

In cases where people come out in public and accuse someone of abuse it just seems so critical that there should be more than a remembered event to go on because you can ruin and destroy someone's life. Someone who might be totally innocent?

It seems like such a confusing issue. I'm kind of afraid to post this because I'm worried you all might think I'm doubting your memories of abuse and I'm totally not at all.

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. It would be nice if there were clear answers, but I guess for now there really aren't.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.