More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
MENTAL ILLNESS DOES NOT HAVE TO GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR LIFE
by eather Lauria, Freedom From Fear
January 8, 2009

You?ve been diagnosed with a mental illness. Now what? The idea of telling friends and family your misfortune is daunting. How will they react? Will they too succumb to the social stigma of mental disorders or will they stand up and help you fight to get well again? In a world where finding out you have a mental illness can almost seem traumatizing in itself, it helps to know that you are not alone. There are so many others out there going through exactly what you are dealing with. There are people who have taken on what life has thrown at them and who have succeeded. But just who are these people and where do you find them?

Lately, more and more celebrities have begun speaking out about mental illnesses. Many of the Hollywood population know firsthand the suffering that comes with mental illness. All of America watched as Britney melted down under the hot lights of Hollywood scrutiny and we all remember Brooke Shields battle against Postpartum Depression and Tom Cruise.

A mental illness does not mean that your life has to stop. There are many people, both in history and still living, who have managed to accomplish unbelievable things in spite of (or in some cases, due to) their mental disorders. The failure of the brain to function correctly is no one?s fault and can be overcome. But while you are working on recovery, it is possible to strive for the extraordinary. Take a look at the following list to see what some very famous people have achieved while struggling with a mental illness.

President Abraham Lincoln and his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln both suffered from mental illness. The President was plagued by severe depression but this in no way stopped him from becoming the man who held our country together during a civil war. During his presidency, Mary Todd stood by her husband while suffering from bipolar disorder.

Winston Churchill, another great leader of the world also suffered from bipolar disorder. It is written by author Any Storr, ?Had he been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgment might well have concluded that we were finished.?

Literary greats Ernest Hemingway, Sylvia Plath, Charles Dickens, Virginia Woolf, Leo Tolstoy, John Keats, Edgar Allen Poe, and Tennessee Williams all suffered from depression. Geniuses in their own mediums, Vincent Van Gogh, Michelangelo and Ludwig van Beethoven were all tormented by illness of the mind. Mental illness has even made it to the moon when Buzz Aldrin shuttle there. He did not let his battle against clinical depression stop him from being the second man to walk on the moon.

It is also important to remember that even the saintly and those who have dedicated their lives to God and charity work were not spared the pain and suffering of illnesses of the mind. Both Saint Ignatius of Loyola and Saint Francis of Assisi suffered from depression. Saint Ignatius also suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), as did Saint Therese the Little Flower.

The next time you get discouraged and think that you will never be able to have a normal life because of your mental illness, embrace that idea and strive for a life of extraordinary proportions. Most famous people with mental disorders had the illness before their fame. They learned that a mental illness did not mean their life was over, but they had the chance to achieve what ?normal? people could not!

Halo

The next time you get discouraged and think that you will never be able to have a normal life because of your mental illness, embrace that idea and strive for a life of extraordinary proportions. Most famous people with mental disorders had the illness before their fame. They learned that a mental illness did not mean their life was over, but they had the chance to achieve what ?normal? people could not!

:goodpost: I love this part of of the article, very encouraging. :loveit:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I agree Halo. It is very encouraging. It is wonderful. I am a bit lost for words with this artical, in a good way.

amastie

I couldn't ever watch the film "A Beautiful Mind" because of all the people with mental illness who could never aspire to being that brilliant or that applauded.

I need to look for small pleasures to help me through each day. I'm very luckly to find pleasure in small things. Yesterday, I went out with friends, one of whom had been very down. Going out with us made her happier than she has been in a long time so I was *very* happy for her. It meant so much to me. I just wish that I had the means to pick her up and take her places, and also that she was sufficiently comfortable with me alone to be as happy as she was in the company of three of us together. Seeing her as happy as she was made my day :)

Lana

Even people with no mental illness are not all that brilliant or that applauded. Reality was not as wonderful as the movie depicts. But I think the main point is that despite the illness, a person can achieve great things. The illness, then, is not the end...but maybe even an opportunity into something that few can achieve.

amastie

Even people with no mental illness are not all that brilliant or that applauded....
Yes, of course :)

.. I think the main point is that despite the illness, a person can achieve great things. The illness, then, is not the end...but maybe even an opportunity into something that few can achieve.
Yes, I expect that it can but, for me, the grieving over not having achieved what was most important in my life has never ceased, and to have images of people achieving great things - especiallhy people with any kind of disability -leaves me feeling that I failed my own challenges. In theory, I don't believe that to be so, but I cannot erase it entirely from my feeling.

It is true that, in the case of someone with whom I have a personal relationship, or for whom I want especially to support, then my own sense of loss takes a back seat, but otherwise it only hurts to recall it.

I am reminded by this of the place of grieving in the onging experience of mental illness (or any chronic illness)

amastie

Overnight, I was thinking about this subject and reminded of how I do take pleasure in the accomplishments of many people who overcome great obstacles, including mental illness, and go on to achieve wonderful things. For example, I greatly admire Kay Jameson and those who compete at the Special Olympics. Whether is just the story of John Nash ("A Beautiful Mind") or others as well, I'm not sure, but I still could not watch that film without being much too sad. One reason why that film might get to me more is that his particular field of interest was one that was close to me. Not that I ever aspired to be a mathematician but it was when I studied maths, and laboured studiously over mathematical equations, that I had some of my most exciting moments. I miss that sense of achieving a great deal.

This stuff is getting to me. I'm going to start a new thread on the subject.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.