• Quote of the Day
    "You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness by
    giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged."
    Dale Carnegie, posted by Cat Dancer

David Baxter

Administrator
Mild Depression Can Damage Immune System (Health Central)
THURSDAY, Oct. 16 (HealthDayNews) -- Even a bout of mild depression can throw off a person's immune system, a change that can set up older adults for development of serious age-related diseases.

That's what Ohio State University researchers found. Their report appears in the current issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry. The study shows the impact a person's mental health can have on their physical health and provides a picture of the body's response to mild depression...

It suggests low levels of depression are associated with an increased IL-6 response to an antigen, Glaser says. Sustained higher-than-normal levels of IL-6 have been linked to long-term inflammation which, in turn, is implicated in a number of age-related health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, cancers, Alzheimer's and periodontal disease.

...more of this article

kk107

because i saw it loundering at the bottom of the last few pages and i thought that it deserved to be somewhere near the top as i didn't know mild depression damaged the immune system. You do know what bump means, right?

David Baxter

Administrator
Yes, I know what it means. I just wasn't sure what the point was and thought you might have a specific question about it.

kk107

no. i just thought that i'd revisit some of the old topics and thought that this one deserved a revival.

Latest posts

Top Bottom