More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mild Depression Can Damage Immune System (Health Central)
THURSDAY, Oct. 16 (HealthDayNews) -- Even a bout of mild depression can throw off a person's immune system, a change that can set up older adults for development of serious age-related diseases.

That's what Ohio State University researchers found. Their report appears in the current issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry. The study shows the impact a person's mental health can have on their physical health and provides a picture of the body's response to mild depression...

It suggests low levels of depression are associated with an increased IL-6 response to an antigen, Glaser says. Sustained higher-than-normal levels of IL-6 have been linked to long-term inflammation which, in turn, is implicated in a number of age-related health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, cancers, Alzheimer's and periodontal disease.

...more of this article

kk107

because i saw it loundering at the bottom of the last few pages and i thought that it deserved to be somewhere near the top as i didn't know mild depression damaged the immune system. You do know what bump means, right?

kk107

no. i just thought that i'd revisit some of the old topics and thought that this one deserved a revival.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.