More threads by bloodwood

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
Today I found a magazine on the shelf called Mindful - all about mindfulness. At first look it look like it might be alright. This copy says "Premier Issue" Volume 1 Number 1 which I guess means it is a new magazine.
Quite a variety of articles and topics all with mindfulness in mind. Cooking, business, relationships, etc.
Let me know if you have any questions about it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks, bloodwood. I wasn't aware of this.

More information including how to subscribe to the print or online editions is available at MAGAZINE - Mindful Magazine

There was a news item about the launch by Bill Power in the Halifax newspaper, The Chronicle-Herald:

Stressed-out North Americans are scooping up a glossy magazine produced in Halifax that helps readers learn to relax.

There were indications Wednesday an initial press run of 90,000 copies of the magazine, called Mindful, will sell out after landing on racks across Canada and the United States this week.

“The magazine is the flagship for a variety of offerings, including the related website and conferences and special events throughout North America,” Barry Boyce, editor-in-chief at Mindful magazine, said in an interview.

Anybody with an interest in the North American publishing industry can attest to the fact these are challenging times to be launching a magazine of any sort.

The unique focus of Mindful helps explain its popularity, Boyce said.

Mindful, the magazine, will focus on the mindfulness movement that has achieved huge popularity in recent years with its messages and techniques for obtaining satisfaction and well-being in life.

The magazine will be printed six times a year and sell in Canada for $6.99.

“We are producing a multimedia voice for the movement,” publisher Jim Gimian said.

Many big corporate names are active supporters of the mindfulness movement, as are many educational institutions and community organizations, said Gimian.

Mindful, the magazine, is published by Foundation for a Mindful Society, an independent non-profit in Halifax.

“Its mission is to inspire, guide and connect all those who want to live with awareness and compassion, to enjoy the benefits of mindfulness practices, and to create a more mindful and caring society,” said a description on the organization’s website.

Staff at Mindful are using some resources of the Shambhala Sun, a popular speciality publication the Shambhala Sun Foundation produces on Hollis Street in Halifax.

This is a temporary arrangement to help keep startup costs down, said Gimian.

Mindful, the magazine, is available on newsstands, in bookstores and at grocery and drugstores throughout Nova Scotia.

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
Hi Dr Baxter,
The magazine you found is not the one that I had discovered.
The one I found can be viewed at:

Home | Mindful
It is called Mindful (vs MindfulMag)
Published by Foundation for a Mindful Society
Editorial office in Halifax

So it looks like we found two. The article you quoted looks like it is referring to the one I found as it has the Halifax connection. Both look worth a read.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.