More threads by Retired

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes. I'd add that, from a personal standpoint, it's hard to keep track sometimes of all new posts - one of the very useful things moderators here do is keep an eye out for unanswered posts and "bump" them with a reply to help bring it to the attention of other members.

Other members also do that, of course, but I see moderators basically as extra pairs of eyes and ears, helping make sure that things run smoothly and that members get overlooked.

Steph

have people with specialized knowledge, information, or interest in a subject or small group of subjects moderating specific areas that they know a lot about. Nobody can be expected to know everything about everything

I have spent the last three years studying the human body! I spent four months on the mental health unit! Among many other units that I have been. I am currently on an acute medicine floor but I don't know everything about everything and I never will. But, I do have a well rounded education and can help in just about any medical situation.

Consider that moderators are forum hosts, who greet you at the door, guide you to the living room, let you know where the facilities are located, and acquaint you witht the house rules. They will start the conversation among the guests, interject a few questions or comments to keep the discussion going and keep an eye on things so the guests don't begin slugging it out.

This is exactly what it is like. Well said TSOW! :smartass:

Steph

Peanut

Steph, I am just saying that I don't see quite as large of a distinction between the behaviour of moderators and members as it seems like maybe people are lead to believe. For example, TSOW pointed out one of the major jobs of a moderator is to start new topics. Well, if you look on the stats board you will see that out of the top 10 topic starters, only two people are moderators, plus dr. Baxter and all of the other 7 are members. So...I don't know...I think what you guys are conceptualizing is one thing, but that the reality of the situation may not be quite that simple.

I think that most of the members here have knowledge and education in general and especially in certain areas. And your point about having a medical background I think just further supports my point that certain people have areas of specialty and those are the people that should be wearing those "I am representing psychlinks how can I help you" labels in their area of their expertise.

Furthermore, if the folders were divided up perhaps they could all be attended to on a more even basis.

Why would specialization be a bad thing? It's a good thing in the medical world...the entire field of psychology is incredibly broad and it has a wide variety of subspecialties.

Having specific, divided responsibilities instead of having a large tiered system would make things seem less intimidating and be more logical in my opinion.

OK guys--that's it for me on this subject, I promise!! Thanks for chatting with me about it. I have found it very informative and will give additional thought to my opinion!! It's been a pleasure...I always love stimulating conversation (especially when I am trying to avoid doing my homework ;)).

Steph

Toeless,

I don't see quite as large of a distinction between the behaviour of moderators and members as it seems like maybe people are lead to believe.

I don't know what people are lead to believe. For me, I feel that being a moderator has a certain amount of responsibility. That responsibility includes spending time on the forum, starting new subjects, and guiding people to use the forum so that they get the information they need.

If you feel that there is no large distinction between moderators and members that is ok.

Steph

Lana

Hi Toeless;
I don?t know about other members here, but I find your comments a tad on the harsh and insensitive side.

I am a member, just like you, or anyone else for that matter. I may have my strengths in certain areas and when needed, I apply them. Dr. Baxter felt that I had something that was needed to moderate the forum. I was flattered and grateful, and accepted knowing I?m accepting responsibility here, not just a funky title to rub someone?s nose into it or give me cause to turn up my nose.

When I come here, I don?t just read what is interesting to me. I actually make it a point to read just about every new post that appears, even those I couldn?t possibly answer. I look for content, for misuse of the forum, for offensive language, inappropriate comments that may trigger or upset our members. Sometimes I don?t feel all that great, sometimes I?m in need of some care myself, but each and every time I?m here, I read with a caring heart and open mind. I?m not here to censor, I?m not here to get on a soapbox, I?m not here to answer each and every post that shows up also, I?m just here to care about what members have to say. I don?t recall anyone saying that once you become a moderator, you?re not entitled to the same privilege and consideration as other members.

If it helps you understand: my specialty is compassion, and specific life experiences that I feel I can help with best. My speciality is desire to help others, help ease their pain and suffering. My specialty is simply to care about this forum and its members. It may not mean anything to you, you may feel that you can dismiss that, and it is your choice. But there are few that do find this helpful and valuable, and moderator or not, my specialty is to care for them and their safety, and for you also.

Even as I write this, I wonder what is it about us, moderators, that rubs you the wrong way.

Peanut

Perhaps you are correct, that I am being too harsh. I apologize for any hurt feelings, that was certainly not my intention.

ThatLady

Speaking to the subject of moderators starting new topics, I think the importance of that depends a great deal on the type of forum you're moderating. While a forum on coin collecting, or bird watching, or crafts might really benefit from moderators creating new threads about new things they've learned with regard to the forum's subject, a forum like this is meant more for people to come to with their worries, their problems, their frustrations and their questions regarding mental health issues. At least, that's how I see it.

Sometimes, a moderator might see something that could be of help to our readers/posters, and post about it. However, I don't see the starting of new threads by moderators on this forum as of as much importance as being here to respond to the threads that are started by those seeking answers, or support, or just a caring word.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Forum members, whether they are moderators or not, contribute to the forum in different ways. As an example, HeartArt was a moderator at one time. Both before she was a moderator, while she was a moderator, and since she resigned as moderator to devote more time to her other projects, one of the things she brings to this forum is a passion for research and advocacy for mental health patients and their families. As a result, she started a lot of threads. Other members rarely start threads but contribute by replying to and offering support and advice to other members. Both types of contribution are important, actually essential to a forum like Psychlinks.

Retired

That Lady,

While I agree that much of the traffic on Psychlinks comes from members looking for information or support about issues or concerns they have, I believe that another dimension for the popularity of Psychlinks comes from seeing information on recent developments, or even posting that evoke discussion because the topic may not be self evident.

Of course the choice of policy direction for Psychlinks is entirely in the hands of Dr. Baxter, I am presenting my own views and observations and relating them to Psychlinks.

It's clear that many of the postings by Forum staff that present recent developments are gleaned from recent relevant publications or news searches. I perform daily news searches for topics relevant to the forums in which I moderate to pick up news items, developments and perspectives on the focus subjects of the forum.

But then there are the seeders that are born out of a curiosity, usually in the middle of the night, when I can't sleep :D

One such topic was "To Tattoo or Not to Tattoo" where a proposition is posted in the lead posting. Some times these seeders die in their tracks but others like the Tattoo topic found interest among the Forum members. 792 views and nearly 80 replies

So, IMHO, by providing a diversity of subject matter for the forum membership to choose from, I believe this strategy provides forum members a selection of types of topics to choose from..some serious where they can learn insights about their personal concerns, learn the latest news and developments, or have topics that might be fanciful yet thought provoking.

Finally there are the topics which are just for fun, and off topic. I believe these are important because as a forum grows, people become friends and discussions inevitably get off topic to friendly interpersonal chats.

This development speaks to the success of the forum, because now it's become an online community, and communities need a town square where they can just hang out and talk about their vacation, their pets and their plans.

So seeding can be helpful in any type of Forum, including a mental health support forum because there are various ways to seed which will often result in surprising traffic action

just mary

Hi,

I know I'm late to this thread but I hope I'm not too late to add my own opinion.

Firstly, it's opened my eyes considerably to who the moderators are. This forum is the first (and only one) I have joined. When I first came here, I assumed the moderators were psychologists, professional counsellors or perhaps students of psychology. And I was intimidated. I tended to think they had the last word on everything. After reading this post, I'm not so intimidated any longer. I realize that they are here to basically make people feel comfortable and safe. But they don't have expertise in many of the topics discussed here. And that's not to say they don't do a good job, you do a great job :) but I think I might feel a bit more comfortable now expressing an opposing view.

However, wrt to Toeless and her suggestion that perhaps moderators be assigned to specific boards - I can see her point also. Especially for the first timer - someone who comes here looking for specific advice or support for a particular issue. It would be helpful to have someone with the appropriate experience to be available.

But is this forum an advice column or an online community? I initially found this forum by accident, found it interesting and then came back for a bit of support (which I received - thanks!). Now I find I come here quite regularly and I consider it a community.

Overall, it is a great place. And I must say that I have very much appreciated the safe and stable atmosphere provided here. Thank-you. :)

And Toeless, your opinion is invaluable!!! ;)

Retired

But is this forum an advice column or an online community?

The vision of Psychlinks would be for Dr. Baxter to define

suggestion that perhaps moderators be assigned to specific boards - I can see her point also

Yes an argument can be made in favor of assigning specific moderators to specific boards. From experience that model presents more problems than the model of having Global Moderators who access and participate in every board.

When moderators are assigned a specific board, the darker side of human nature eventually rears its ugly head and the sometimes becomes protective and territorial. Therefore if another moderator on the same forum notices a topic of interest in someone else's section and they get involved, there is sometimes resentment. It may seem unlikely, but I've seen it happen among the friendliest team of moderators.

The second problem is when a moderator cannot be online, then the board is unattended, unless prior arrangements have been made.

However when everyone can access the entire forum, there is a cooperative and collegial approach to responding to member's queries, and the member benefits from receiving diverse points of view.

From a security point of view, since the entire staff might be anywhere at any given time, if an inappropriate posting is made, chances are it can be dealt with more quickly as there are more eyes surveying the entire board.

Either approach can be and is used; the forum administrator decides on the format to be used and one approach may work better in a given forum. I've been involved with both approaches and formed my opinion based on my own experience.

Has your experience led you to a different conclusion? <--- Hint ---this is what a moderator does

Holly

Hi Everyone,
I am honestly finding this topic around the issues of moderating the forums to be troublesome, I do not question the moderators, one reason is I personally trust the judgement of the Dr. Baxter.
It is really starting make me feel uncomfortable to post, yes!!, not because of moderators, I personally do not mind if the moderators offer assistance.
If I was new to the concept of a forum, which I am to some degree, I might feel intimated and overwhelmed.
That is what I am finding concerning, are we making a mountain out of a molehill over a term!
If the moderators assist, make the forum a safe place is that not what really matters at the end of the day!
Sincerely Holly Desimone
If any questions please let me know?

Retired

Holly,

Sorry to hear this discussion made you feel uncomfortable. What specific issue is making you uneasy?

I don't feel the thread is as much a discussion about the definition of the term as it is an overview of the generally accepted responsibilities of a person working on a forum as a sysop, facilitator or moderator...the common terms used to describe the job.

The discussion began when a Forum member was planning to administer a forum dedicated to support in a mental health context.

It was thought by Dr. Baxter that discussing the subject here would provide insights to people interested in becoming moderators and would assist in defining exactly what the job entails.

I offered to share my own experience as I have been doing this kind of work for well over fifteen years with a number of forums and organizations.

Of course these are only guidelines and the final decision as to what the duties and responsibilities of a given forum staff members lies with the forum administrator of each forum.

Furthermore, as has been said earlier, if as a Forum member, you don't notice the moderators around, then it means they are doing their jobs well, and are doing their work effectively behind the scenes.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think Mary's post raises some excellent points and questions. Steve (TSOW) has actually responded to most of them, I think, and I agree with what he has said. What i want to add now is the background and thinking that went into my decision to have the majority of moderators "global moderators" as opposed to moderators for specific forums.

I have posted on and moderated many forums over the years and I've seen both sides of the issues. Most forums do, I think, have moderators assigned only to specific areas. On some forums, that probably works, although ironically if you do it that way you actually need MORE moderators to provide coverage. For example, on the first forum I ever moderated, there were a large number of members and often debates got pretty heated and pretty nasty. I was assigned as one of the moderators for two or three or maybe four categories out of about 20 on that board (I can't recall exactly any more). As luck would have it, often when the refuse hit the fan late at night I was the only moderator online and the ruckus was happening in a thread I couldn't moderate. That was frustrating to me personally and bad for the forum, in my opinion. There were about 12 or so moderators for that forum, as I recall, and it simply wasn't enough unless all of them were to be global moderators.

The second factor, in my opinion, is that a moderator, while requiring perhaps a certain level of general knowledge about the themes and topics of a forum, is not required to be an expert in any or all of them. The primary job of the moderator is, as others have suggested here, to moderate - monitor, facilitate, greet, support, etc. If I were to assign moderators only to specific topics, I think there would be a greater perception that the moderator is an expert in that topic and I wanted to avoid that, at least for the most part. The moderators here have different interests and different levels of expertise and knowledge on the various topics being discussed. They also come from vastly different backgrounds and training. I think all of that adds extra dimensions to the forum without setting either the moderators or other members up for the false expectation that being a moderator means one is an expert.

So far, the only exception to the rule of global moderators is Steve and that was more-or-less his choice. He has a great deal of experience on older style Bulletin Boards (BBS's, which were also my first introduction to online communities, before I even had true internet access) in addition to a special interest in Tourette Syndrome and a background in pharmacology. However, because of other commitments, Steve did not feel able to make the commitment to moderator at the time. Later, we added a separate forum for Tourette Syndrome, something about which Steve has a lot more knowledge than me, and I took a chance and made him moderator of that forum (cheeky of me but he was good enough to accept the position and not yell at me).

So there you have it - a brief history and rationale of how the moderators on the Psychlinks Forum came to be. :)

HA

It's interesting to see how the volunteer work of *moderator* is seen by many people.

I changed my mind.....I don't want to moderate a forum that has never been moderated and has little technical expertise. Just kidding, but what a lot of effort goes into figuring out how to do this. :sigh:

I spend most of my volunteer time facilitating support groups and the time I have left I spend with peer facilitated family education programs all of which are concerned with severe and persistent mental illnesses.

I like the peer self help model because it is what has been most helpful to me. Although I benefited from professional support, real healing did not occur until I met other people who shared similar experiences. They could provide for me what no other professional or individual could and the most important part of what they provided was knowing that I was not alone in my suffering. They also spoke the language that I could understand....empathy.

There is the saying that *knowledge is power* but it fits better for me to say that knowledge is empowering. From my personal experience I needed to know everything about what I was dealing with and going through in order to cope with it. I find that this is also universal for others in my position. It is also shown to be the case by research which is the basis for psychoeducation ( I don't like that term) programs.

So, I agree that support is important but it is equally important to provide people with information or the means to find it. This is what helps me and the people that I know who are my peers in the trenches.

People who are at the beginning of their journey through pain need to have plenty of support and information. As with anything, if we all have plenty to sort through then we will take what we need and leave the rest. We are all looking for the pieces to our mosaic.

Peanut

I think you will do a good job being an administrator and/or moderating at your new forum HeartArt. You seem very dedicated and also very calm, and I think those are really good qualities to have! :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.