More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Moncton student's anti-bullying video goes viral
CBC News
Nov 29, 2011

[video=youtube;P9zcJpOk-gM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P9zcJpOk-gM[/MEDIA]

A Moncton student has created a video she's hoping will get people thinking, and talking, about the effects of bullying.
Sydney Steeves, a 15-year-old student at Harrison Trimble High School posted the video, titled "I Know Someone" on YouTube on Saturday.

The video shows students holding placards about how they know someone who is being hurt by bullying and how important it is to step forward to help.

The video has had almost 2,000 views since it was posted, and it's all over Facebook.

"But it's not just the physical abuse or the mental or the words that you say. It's more than that. It's like, these are all the results of bullying," Steeves told CBC News.

"Those are actual things that people think about. Those are actual things that people have to stand up to on a day-to-day basis," said Tristen Terry, who makes his screen debut in the video.

Terry's motivation to be in the video comes from a terrifying personal experience of being bullied.

"I went home and I just didn't do anything. The stress was killing me. Everything was killing me on the inside. It was very, very dangerous," he said.

Terry was called names, harassed and bullied so much he says he recently transferred schools to get away from it.

"I want [the video] to affect everyone that sees it. I want them to be more aware of the kids that are in trouble. I want them to intervene and help them," Steeves said.

Her father Scott Steeves, who also happens to be the principal at Harrison Trimble High School, says he's proud of the work his daughter has done.

"So Sydney's video, in terms of educating our kids, and kind of just showing kids that these things are happening, they're out there, don't ignore them ? really resonated well with me," he said.

Steeves says she just hopes the video makes a difference in kids' lives.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.