More threads by Retired

Retired

Television Entertainment News programs keep us up o date on all the latest antics and activities of celebs and all the "beautiful people".

Other programs show us how we can "improve" our looks by nipping and tucking.

Even mainstream news programs, including the venerable Larry King devote hours very day to report on stars who get out of their cars wearing no undies, and who comes and goes into rehab.

Why do none of the beautiful celebs resemble anyone on my street, in my family or even in my city? Each one of these people has a sculpted body and fits into size 1 for women or size 28 for men.

Do these people come from a different gene pool than the general population? Do these two or three hundred people represent the entire world population in their appearance and their behaviors?

The entertainment business and it is a business, after all, manufactures, markets and sells their products to the rest of us. Movies are a product in the same way as sausages and toothpaste, which people buy and the more tickets or DVD's are sold, the more money and profit is made.

TV programs are a medium used to sell advertising commercials.

The people used in these media, are used to reflect our fantasies, desires and expectations so the production companies which hold their contracts keep their stable of performers in the forefront by manufacturing so-called news about them and their relationships to gain the attention of the customers who will buy the tickets or DVD's of their next movie or TV show.

In the early days of Hollywood movies, the studios owned, and published the movie magazines to publicize the same foolish antics we see today in the so called entertainment news programs.

These people, in my view are not representative of the general population in their lifestyle, appearance or behaviors.

The rest of us are people with asymmetrical body parts, balding hair lines, and chubby cheeks. We all work for a living, live among family and friends with whom we share genuine common interests and in whom we find comfort and support.

Is there any good reason for those of us in the general population to want to imitate what the celebs say and do?

Why do none of the beautiful celebs resemble anyone on my street, in my family or even in my city? Each one of these people has a sculpted body and fits into size 1 for women or size 28 for men.

i think for several reasons. they have hair stylists and make-up artists and people helping them with their wardrobes. it's their job to look like the ideal, so they spend a lot of time and money on their bodies.

the other thing is a lot of airbrushing happens in magazines.

take away the make-up and they do look like you and me.

not all the famous are "perfect". there are examples of overweight and balding stars out there, and there are some out there who are staying true to their bodies (jamie lee curtis comes to mind, i hope i'm remembering that correctly).

Last edited:

Halo

Quite an insightful, thought provoking post Steve :)

Is there any good reason for those of us in the general population to want to imitate what the celebs say and do?

I would have to say for me personally that I do not want to imitate what celebs say or do or to look up to them in any fashion for that matter. I may have wanted to years back but now that I am getting to slowly know myself better as well as getting to see what celebs are "really" all about, I can honestly say that they can have it.

For me there are many other "real life" people that I try to imitate or base my life after. So many positive role models that I see around me that I find myself picking and choosing different qualitites from them and saying to myself...I want to be like that, or have that or whatever. To me the people around me in my life are much more real and people of substance than the people that I see on the big screen or tv.

While I had to admit that most of us don't get a bird's eye view of what celebs have to encounter mentally or emotionally in their personal lives (or most of the time we don't) and therefore they may just be like any ordinary person however the fame and fortune part that they do share with the rest of the country is a part that is not appealing to me.

How many celebs do we actually see that are truly happy? What I see are people that are continuously acting or putting on a fake mask for the fans and cameras and honestly don't probably know who they are most of the time. While I am sure that there are celebs that there are an exception for this and are trying to keep it real, the majority of them I think get lost in the fame and fortune and lose themselves along the way.

My role models in life are no one close to being rich and famous...although to me my role models are so much more rich than any celeb could ever be.

Retired

My role models in life are no one close to being rich and famous

Where should we be looking for people who might make more realistic and substantive role models?

Are we talking about sports figures, politicians, scientists, educators family members?

Halo

Where should we be looking for people who might make more realistic and substantive role models?

I know for me personally that I look at people in my everyday life who I am around, with whom I interact and with whom I get to know. To me they can be anyone from family, friends, colleagues, ministers, priests, therapists and even children. I then can determine what specific qualities that I admire in each of them that I want to have in myself. Those to me are the real role models....not celebrities, sports figures or politicians but real everyday people that I have come to know and admire.

sunset

Celebrities are not living a real life. They get paid mega money to "pretend". Magazines put them on a pedastal and make them to be perfect creatures that we should strive to be like them. They do it all in the name of money. Train wrecks are also a source of money like Britney, and Danny Bonaduce... They are human, like everyone else..

A hero to me is my caring Dr who will see me even if I cant pay him.
A hero to me is someone who is selfless and thinks of others.
A hero is someone behind the scenes, and dosent look for personal glory...

Not these made up barbies and kens who think they are perfect.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.