More threads by sister-ray

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I just wondered: does anybody else play music themselves for relaxation or venting? I love to play the piano when I'm finding things hard. Only when I'm home by myself though, I don't reckon anybody else would appreciate me thumping on the keys!! My favourite release is Chopin's funeral march, which may sound a bit morbid, but it's just perfect. I get carried away in the first loud, stately bit, making lots of noise, and then it's got the gorgeous light, pretty part in the middle. If I'm still grumpy by the end of that, there's another chance to get rid of it when you repeat the first part again!

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I just wondered: does anybody else play music themselves for relaxation or venting? I love to play the piano when I'm finding things hard. Only when I'm home by myself though, I don't reckon anybody else would appreciate me thumping on the keys!! My favourite release is Chopin's funeral march, which may sound a bit morbid, but it's just perfect. I get carried away in the first loud, stately bit, making lots of noise, and then it's got the gorgeous light, pretty part in the middle. If I'm still grumpy by the end of that, there's another chance to get rid of it when you repeat the first part again!

Retired

All my life I wished I could play a musical instrument having tried several over the years only to discover I didn't have the coordination required. However I recently tried the harmonica, and though I don't read music and don't have a particularly good musical ear, I succeeded in being able to play familiar melodies using tabulation.

Though I don't feel comfortable playing to an audience, I am able to satisfy my own ears to hear myself finally able to make music..of sorts.

The experience is very relaxing, and personally satisfying though a public performance is not in the plans {smile}

Retired

All my life I wished I could play a musical instrument having tried several over the years only to discover I didn't have the coordination required. However I recently tried the harmonica, and though I don't read music and don't have a particularly good musical ear, I succeeded in being able to play familiar melodies using tabulation.

Though I don't feel comfortable playing to an audience, I am able to satisfy my own ears to hear myself finally able to make music..of sorts.

The experience is very relaxing, and personally satisfying though a public performance is not in the plans {smile}

Retired

David Baxter said:
If you play it really loud, especially through a decent amplifier, it becomes a public performance even if you can't see the audience :eek:)

ROTFL! I don't want to be a public nuissance

Retired

David Baxter said:
If you play it really loud, especially through a decent amplifier, it becomes a public performance even if you can't see the audience :eek:)

ROTFL! I don't want to be a public nuissance

Mr Baxter!
I take it you dont live in a flat!!lol If I did that here I would be evicted!!!

I have tryed to learn to play keyboard, managed to play the start of David Bowies 'Cygnet Committee' once but that was about it!!! I like experiementing, making things up, seeing how they progress, I imagine myself as Vangelis, or Rick Wakeman infront of a big audience!! I use to go to music therapy too found that helpful, just trying different instruments out and seeing where it goes, loved the drums you could really let go on them if you where feeling angry..

Mr Baxter!
I take it you dont live in a flat!!lol If I did that here I would be evicted!!!

I have tryed to learn to play keyboard, managed to play the start of David Bowies 'Cygnet Committee' once but that was about it!!! I like experiementing, making things up, seeing how they progress, I imagine myself as Vangelis, or Rick Wakeman infront of a big audience!! I use to go to music therapy too found that helpful, just trying different instruments out and seeing where it goes, loved the drums you could really let go on them if you where feeling angry..

ThatLady

I play guitar a bit. I have an old Martin that I plunk around on occasionally. Like David, I used to play a lot more than I do now, so the plunking isn't nearly as pleasant these days. Still, I enjoy it and find it relaxing.

ThatLady

I play guitar a bit. I have an old Martin that I plunk around on occasionally. Like David, I used to play a lot more than I do now, so the plunking isn't nearly as pleasant these days. Still, I enjoy it and find it relaxing.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I just wanted to ask what kinds of music helped the members here relax?

In addition to Vangelis, Enya, and Eno, I also like the following for relaxing while being active:

- American Analog Set (indie pop band with slow, hushed vocals and "one-string electric guitar arrangements.")
- Steve Tibbets (zen-like instrumental composer)
- adult alternative artists like Sting, Seal, and Duncan Sheik.
- Jon Brion (instrumental soundtrack composer for I Heart Huckabees & Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)
- indie pop bands including The Shins and The Postal Service

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I just wanted to ask what kinds of music helped the members here relax?

In addition to Vangelis, Enya, and Eno, I also like the following for relaxing while being active:

- American Analog Set (indie pop band with slow, hushed vocals and "one-string electric guitar arrangements.")
- Steve Tibbets (zen-like instrumental composer)
- adult alternative artists like Sting, Seal, and Duncan Sheik.
- Jon Brion (instrumental soundtrack composer for I Heart Huckabees & Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)
- indie pop bands including The Shins and The Postal Service

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, for really slow, electronic "space music" that can relax me to sleep, my favorite is the weekly radio show called "Hearts of Space." Their slogan is "slow music for fast times."

Anyone can listen to the current 1-hour program of Hearts of Space at HOS.com by pressing the play button at the top left of their website. (A free, one-time registration is required.)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, for really slow, electronic "space music" that can relax me to sleep, my favorite is the weekly radio show called "Hearts of Space." Their slogan is "slow music for fast times."

Anyone can listen to the current 1-hour program of Hearts of Space at HOS.com by pressing the play button at the top left of their website. (A free, one-time registration is required.)

Thanks Daniel for the link, and the names of the indie bands, will do a search later and see what I can find on-line about them.

Thanks Daniel for the link, and the names of the indie bands, will do a search later and see what I can find on-line about them.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.