More threads by scarlet

scarlet

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering around the site getting a feel for it all and thought it was time I introduced myself. I'm From Sydney Australia, a teacher, mother, grandmother, wife, writer and many other things to many people... okay so I spread myself a little thin at times. That's I guess part of why I'm here, sometimes it's easier to throw yourself into your work, writing or something else rather than deal with what's happening with you.

It works for a while, but then I tend to crash and burn! I teach by distance, which can be frustrating, challenging and very satisfying at times. I'm Aboriginal and in that area, so it can be difficult at times...

Imagine discussing issues of the past that have effected your own family on a continual basis. You cope, you deal with it because it's what you do and you want to get the right message across to those who want to learn. But eventually it all comes crashing in on you!

I've had to learn that even though it is my job and I love it, I need to know when to walk away from it. It's really hard to talk to work mates about it as they really cannot comprehend what I'm going through. You see when I teach, I teach about myself and my family... my history and it can be painful.

People say, you need to leave work at work, but how do you do that when what you do is part of who you are???

Okay I've babbled on a bit too much, sorry about that. I do hope to get to know other members and share thoughts and ideas.

scarlet

Halo

Welcome to Psychlinks Scarlet :welcome2:

I am glad that you decided to introduce yourself and I too hope to get to know you better :wave:

HA

A warm welcome to you, Scarlet.

Yes, I can relate to having to sometimes focus on scheduling time to leave "serious life" and go play. [SIGN]Have you booked your playtime today?[/SIGN]

Retired

but how do you do that when what you do is part of who you are???

Scarlet,

Welcome to Psychlinks. We're glad you've joined us and that you jumped right in.

As a person who retired from my job "early" and who never missed the job one bit, I would propose the solution to your question might be to shift the focus of your identity from your profession to something else.

I don't believe it's an easy transition to make, and I would not have the counseling skills to suggest how to do it, but I do know that in my case, my personal identity was anything but job related.

I did the best work I could and was devoted to my work while I was doing it, but when it was time to meet my wife and go home, our home and personal activities were our focus.

In some ways I saw my work as a means or vehicle to achieve other personal objectives in life and my identity was tied to those objectives.

Now that I have achieved those objectives, my personal identity appears to be intact and my work is but a distant dot in my rear view mirror.

There's that old and tired saying that is often cited in discussions on this topic:

No one on their deathbed has been heard to say, "I should have spent more time at the office."

May I ask if you have any other interests such as hobbies, travel plans, volunteer work at this time?

Heather

Hi and Welcome,

I too am from Sydney Australia, I am not Aboriginal, but I have many friends and some work collegues who are.

I can understand what you are saying here.

I can not say much tonight as I don't have the time, but I look forward to getting to know you.

I work in child care, but have an Early Childhood Education Degree.

Catch up with you soon, Heather...

scarlet

Thank you all for your warm welcome, I'm away for a few days but when I get back I'll be a regular here.

scarlet:)

momof5

Hi Scarlet,
I love your avatar, it is beautiful!

As David said, it is good to have you posting instead of wandering!

Welcome aboard!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.