More threads by Tug

Tug

It's really a nickname but I figured it would do for the forum. Also since I'm 18 (19 soon, I feel like I'm ten when i say "soon, heh, wierd) So technically No matter my problem I fit into the Young Adults category. Sorry I'm sort of rambling, Tug why are you here?

For as long as I can recall I sort of realized, in some way I was different. I grew up in many homes, see my father is a Thuroughbred Horse Trainer so for some time we moved with the race track seasons and I never really was able to meet freinds in my childhood, or stay in a school to develope that community ideal I read so much about. I suppose for this reason i grew up a quiet child, I have been told for one summer and fall I didnt talk once and my parents sent me to a few child doctors who didnt really know why I wasnt talking. Frankly all I can remember is i didnt feel like saying all too much.

I have had three friends in my life, one in each place i stayed in for more then a year, and always hated groups of kids, or large places full of people. I still do to this day. I dont know what you call that, but I can come back to it, theres more to this explanation still (sorry if it is long, but hopefully someone out on this forum doesnt mind reading.) My Father during my childhood was also an alchoholic, yes he drank to get drunk and there is no mistake in this fact. For a great part of my life I lived in complete fear of him, but at the same time tried so desperaretly to love him that it hurt my enitre being, thinking of it to this day brings undescribed feelings. But there was, no mistake for it, a monster in my home.

When i was 14 he quit drinking, mainly because he became ill, cancer, a very rare kind that grew in his pancreas for about 13 years, as the experts have said. And in this time, the last four years I have been raised by an actual father. Think of it as being raised in 4 years where I should have been in 14. Since frankly he did nothing but hate when I was younger.

What I am slowly getting to is one simple fact about myself since I was young. My constant changes in feeling which only recently I have come to realize are a sort of depression I suppose, but I am no doctor so I do not know. The only person I have ever talked to about my constant, complete lows is a teacher i had in my senoir year who noticed, finally, that i was different from the rest of the kids. Him and I shared alot of deas since his father was an alcoholic as well and told me to seek some help after I got done highschool. But I still dont know (and i have been done school now for a year)

I cannot stand most people but try to live with them in the same world. I cannot, in most cases go to malls for the fear of so many people whom I cannot trust. See, I cannot, CANNOT trust anyone. A friend I have had now for four years puts hit hand up to give me a "hi five" and i think he is going to hit me. I cry sometimes each night for weeks, when I was sixteen I locked myself in a room with no food because I couldnt stand myself or the ways of the world around me.

I completely disgust alcohol, I have a girlfriend of one year who drinks and I can not go out with her when she goes to parties. The smell of it , the way people get when they drink, it overcomes me with this hate, a pure hate and resentment of my past. In the same way i don't really trust her, often think she is cheating ro will cheat, that she doesnt care for me and si with me for my looks or some other reason. I put on masks when I go to work (I work in a retail wharehouse) to try and cope with most days.

I find myself so tired, constantly, from everything...everything.

The only ways I have found to get by is running, I love to run. Four, five times a week I will just run for hours in fields and isolated places where I only have myself to think of and worry about. When I run I feel perfect. As well I write, poetry mainly, since I was incredibly young and it helps me to figure out some things that would else be fogged by my constant states of low.

My name is Tug, and I feel so completely alone, afraid and desperate for someone who knows who I am.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No one can know you unless you allow it, Tug. And that ALWAYS involves taking an emotional risk -- if you let someone close, they might hurt you -- if you never do, they can't hurt you but you deprive yourself of the opporunity for connection.

There is often an upside and a downside to life, no question.

I can relate to moving around a lot -- by the time I got to grade 6, I had been in 13 different schools, including 3 in one year.

Upside: I eventually learned how to be the "new kid" -- get in, make friends quickly, find a way (usually through humor and being good academically) to fit in quickly.
Downside: Don't make close friends -- keep it sort of superficial -- you'll probably be moving again in anywhere from 3 months to a year -- don't risk the hurt of leaving a close friend behind. I was an adult before I started learning how to make friends I could keep.

Upside: I learned how to be self-reliant, independent. Even confident, at least in certain ways.
Downside: I became too independent -- had to eventually learn that I didn't need to be that distant and that it was okay to let someone help me once in a while.

Sometimes, it's helpful to think of things this way. Life does throw up some challenges and some obstacles, no question about it. But sometimes one can force something positive out of those challenges and obstacles... even gain strength from them.

ThatLady

Hiya, Tug. You're not alone, hon. There's no need to be afraid, or desperate. There are others who understand where you're coming from. David's post described, very closely, my situation, as well. There are good things that can come out of adversity. We just have to make the effort to "grow" them. :eek:)

ThatLady

Hiya, Tug. You're not alone, hon. There's no need to be afraid, or desperate. There are others who understand where you're coming from. David's post described, very closely, my situation, as well. There are good things that can come out of adversity. We just have to make the effort to "grow" them. :eek:)

Tug

Yes, I have tried to make posistive steps occur and grow up with these facts in hand. But at times it seems like that all falls apart. I have been thinking of seeing someone who I could talk to maybe once a week. Would that be out of the question or a good idea? It's just somtimes I feel like no one really understands ( No one being family, my friend, girlfriend) me at all. God I just want some one to talk to I suppose.

Oh and David, I have tried before to try and trust someone, but every time I do theres things horrible feeling that they will break that trust and hurt me again. That feeling never goes away, its with me constantly.

Tug

Tug

Yes, I have tried to make posistive steps occur and grow up with these facts in hand. But at times it seems like that all falls apart. I have been thinking of seeing someone who I could talk to maybe once a week. Would that be out of the question or a good idea? It's just somtimes I feel like no one really understands ( No one being family, my friend, girlfriend) me at all. God I just want some one to talk to I suppose.

Oh and David, I have tried before to try and trust someone, but every time I do theres things horrible feeling that they will break that trust and hurt me again. That feeling never goes away, its with me constantly.

Tug

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tug said:
I have been thinking of seeing someone who I could talk to maybe once a week. Would that be out of the question or a good idea?
I think it would be an excellent idea...

Tug said:
I think almost everyone has felt that at one time or another, Tug. I understand the fear and tghe need to protect yourself. I also understand that behind that hurt is someone with a need to feel emotionally connected to another person or other people -- that's why it is essential that you eventually learn to overcome the distrust...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tug said:
I have been thinking of seeing someone who I could talk to maybe once a week. Would that be out of the question or a good idea?
I think it would be an excellent idea...

Tug said:
I think almost everyone has felt that at one time or another, Tug. I understand the fear and tghe need to protect yourself. I also understand that behind that hurt is someone with a need to feel emotionally connected to another person or other people -- that's why it is essential that you eventually learn to overcome the distrust...

ThatLady

I agree with Dr. Baxter that having someone to talk to about your fears and feelings of distrust would be a wonderful idea for you. While these feelings are not necessarily unusual, if they're causing you undue anguish, talking to a professional who can help you find better ways of coping can only be a good thing, eh? :eek:)

ThatLady

I agree with Dr. Baxter that having someone to talk to about your fears and feelings of distrust would be a wonderful idea for you. While these feelings are not necessarily unusual, if they're causing you undue anguish, talking to a professional who can help you find better ways of coping can only be a good thing, eh? :eek:)

HA

Hello Tug,

Something else you might want to consider is looking into connecting with others who have spent some or all of their childhood with a parent who had an alcohol addiction.

I spoke with a friend of mine who's husband had an alcohol addiction and she went to alanon and found it very helpful. I asked about someone your age and who may not be interested in the "relgious" aspect concerning a higher power.

She said that Alanon does have groups for "adult children of alcoholics" and she would recommend calling and asking about a group such as this in your area. She also recommended attending a few different groups as each group has it's own "feel" and she was more comfortable at one over another. Reading the literature first would be helpful. What she said about the religious aspect is that some of the members do not use "God" as their higher power and they interpret the higher power to whatever suits them. One person used the group as their higher power and another member of AA used the letters of God and thought about Goodness Over Drunkenness (or something similar) as their higher power.

Here is a link from Dr Baxters site on adult child that you may find good to read.
ADULT CHILDREN ANONYMOUS: CHARACTERISTICS OF ADULT CHILDREN

Since you are outside of Toronto you can call the CAMH information centre and ask about support groups for adult children of alcoholics that are not related to alanon, to see what other kinds of groups or information may be available. Call the tooll free Information Centre at: 1-800-463-6273.

There is great healing power in the connection with others who have had similiar experiences.

A therapist would be very beneficial for you too!

Take care

HA

Hello Tug,

Something else you might want to consider is looking into connecting with others who have spent some or all of their childhood with a parent who had an alcohol addiction.

I spoke with a friend of mine who's husband had an alcohol addiction and she went to alanon and found it very helpful. I asked about someone your age and who may not be interested in the "relgious" aspect concerning a higher power.

She said that Alanon does have groups for "adult children of alcoholics" and she would recommend calling and asking about a group such as this in your area. She also recommended attending a few different groups as each group has it's own "feel" and she was more comfortable at one over another. Reading the literature first would be helpful. What she said about the religious aspect is that some of the members do not use "God" as their higher power and they interpret the higher power to whatever suits them. One person used the group as their higher power and another member of AA used the letters of God and thought about Goodness Over Drunkenness (or something similar) as their higher power.

Here is a link from Dr Baxters site on adult child that you may find good to read.
ADULT CHILDREN ANONYMOUS: CHARACTERISTICS OF ADULT CHILDREN

Since you are outside of Toronto you can call the CAMH information centre and ask about support groups for adult children of alcoholics that are not related to alanon, to see what other kinds of groups or information may be available. Call the tooll free Information Centre at: 1-800-463-6273.

There is great healing power in the connection with others who have had similiar experiences.

A therapist would be very beneficial for you too!

Take care

Tug

First I wanted to say thank you so much, I never thought I would get a response, let alone one such as this. I am looking into the Alanon tomorrow morning to see what that is all about, I agree with having someone to talk to who has shared such an experience and being around the same age, since the only person I have talked to is almost triple mine. As well I am looking into a therapist, I feel it will be a great help to me.

I really want to help myself understand...well...myself.

Tug

First I wanted to say thank you so much, I never thought I would get a response, let alone one such as this. I am looking into the Alanon tomorrow morning to see what that is all about, I agree with having someone to talk to who has shared such an experience and being around the same age, since the only person I have talked to is almost triple mine. As well I am looking into a therapist, I feel it will be a great help to me.

I really want to help myself understand...well...myself.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.