More threads by Peanut

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
do what feels right to you

I agree with this. I suspect that's what your therapist would say, too. If you want to try without it, go ahead and try it. If you find that the anxiety is increasing as the time approaches, take it then (even about 10 minutes before will help). Sometimes, carrying it with you and just telling yourself that you can take it if you need it is enough.

just mary

Hi,

I just got in from watering the driveway :rolleyes:, but before I go to sleep I just wanted to add a couple of things.

I joined Toastmaster's a couple of years ago and one of the things I've learned is that some of the most amazing speakers still feel nervous before a speech. And the only thing they can do, to somewhat quell their nervousness, is to practice and be prepared. I guess my point is, don't feel that your problem is trivial - speaking in front of people is difficult and most of us (at one time or another) will have to do it. You're taking a great step just by doing the speech. I haven't done a speech for Toastmaster's in well over a year, I'm just too scared - the thought makes me sick. But after reading your post Toeless, maybe I should give it a try. ;)

In any event, I though Dr. Baxter had some good advice. It's up to you. :)

Take care,

Peanut

Hey Thatlady~~that was a great suggestion about the medication issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...it made me think of other things like that. I wonder if I could do antipsychotic use in children? :confused: But the problem that I keep running into is that I have to end it with a call for action and I'm not sure what it would be. Any ideas? Thanks again!!

Dr. Baxter--that's what I did with the last speech--it's hard for me to tell what I should do because if I have it it's like "should I take it? should I take it? should I take it?" Until I finally take some.

My therapist does not want me to take it.

Mary--Thanks for saying that! Now that I think about it, maybe you're right because I've read that public speaking is one of the most feared things to do. Closely followed by having to videotape yourself and get all the feedback in front of everyone on camera and then watch it again :eek: ;)

Actually I have to say that speech has been somewhat fun. This is the third time I signed up for it (I had dropped it immediately the other two times) and I have to say that it's been a ride. I've had a blast. Noooowwww ifff III cannnn justtt slllllllooooowww doooown and stop shaking my leg I'll have it made 8)

Thanks guys!!

ThatLady

Toeless said:
Hey Thatlady~~that was a great suggestion about the medication issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...it made me think of other things like that. I wonder if I could do antipsychotic use in children? :confused: But the problem that I keep running into is that I have to end it with a call for action and I'm not sure what it would be. Any ideas? Thanks again!!

I'd think, perhaps, that contacting school officials with regard to this issue would be taking action. Also, contacting local media and pharmaceutical companies who market their products for use in children.

Halo

Hi Toeless,

I thought that I would comment on the issue of taking v. not taking the Ativan before your speech. My thought would be that if you firmly decide not to take the Ativan before your speech then you might actually feel increased anxiety with knowing that you have nothing to fall back on. If it was me I would think that okay, I am going to try and not take it however if I feel my anxiety is getting too high and that the anxiety is all I can think about (and not the speech) then I will take it. I don't think that there is anything wrong with taking it if you need it.

Of course it is your decision and either way we are going to be proud of you for making the speech. I like the Tom Cruise idea...what a moron he is.

Take Care and good luck.
Nancy

Peanut

It's not shaking. It's shifting.

:lol: Yea!! No kidding!! No, but actually it's a whole different problem. She calls it "busy leg" :roll: I tell you it's pick pick pick! :D I don't know who stands perfectly even on both feet, gestures with their hands, doesn't move their upper body or legs, talks suuupper slow, etc. Give me a break! I always stand with one leg kicked out a little. Although admittedly "busy leg" was very noticeable on fast forward :eek:

Thanks Thatlady for your direction! I really appreciate it. My mind always goes blank when I have to pick a topic and then I stress endlessly about it. For some reason I think the topic has to be perfect in every way and I just cannot settle on one.

Nancy said:
I like the Tom Cruise idea...what a moron he is.

LOL--Well I do have to use some visual aids and the class is full of women! ;) My opener could be something like "We all know that Tom Cruise is H-O-T hot, but did you also know that he is D-U-M-B dumb and D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S dangerous?" Although then I think I might just be helping Dr. Baxter take over the world and that is a scary thought :yikes:

Nancy said:
Of course it is your decision and either way we are going to be proud of you for making the speech

Thank you so much Nancy, that means a lot, really!

I also just wanted to expand on the therapist not wanting me to take it...he likened my taking Ativan to superstitious behavior...like needing a lucky pen during a test...

Anyway I don't know why I wanted to add that but I did :confused:

Also nice to hear from you Nancy!

ThatLady

Personally, I don't see a darned thing wrong with using a "lucky pen" to take a test, or a "lucky shirt" for a bowling tournament. Whatever the heck makes you feel more confident, I say "DO IT!" :D

Peanut

LOL--good point!

Well... my therapist also said that I never seem to take any of his advice so I guess who cares what he wants me to do! :bad: :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.