More threads by JiggaTrinity

I've recently become aware of a computer application called the NeuroProgrammer. I suggest anyone who needs help in their life can learn to help themselves easily and gain a much more positive outlook on the world around us. Life is hard, and sometimes much harder than it has to be. We impose many problems on ourselves, unintentionally, and slip into cycles we wish we could break out of, but find difficult to do so. I can't begin to tell you what kind of impact it has had on my life, and I hope that it can help someone else.

Please check out www.transparentcorp.com
The program is very difficult to explain fully and effectively in one forum post, but it does help nearly any problem one could have, or at least, helps one view their problems in a more managable light, which can be the first step to overcoming them! I hope someone out there finds this useful![/url]

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm...

end long and painful psychological disturbances such as Depression, Guilt, Stage Fright, Insomnia, Social Anxiety, Unhealthy Eating Habits, Migraine Headaches and much much more. You can even increase your IQ by as much as 30 points!
I have to confess I'm a little skeptical about these claims...

Do you have any personal knowledge of/experience with this product, JiggaTrinity?

dmcgill

The claim that it will increase your IQ by up to 30% sounds interesting but also makes me believe that there must be some snake oil around still. I know the brain works on electricity but I would have to see the results before I would try anything like that for anything other that the novelty of something new.

understandable

I myself have personally used this program, and found it suprisingly helpful. It's claims are extreme, and I have heard the analogy of "snake oil" more than once now. Good news it seems is always harder to accept than bad. The website has full documentation, explanation of the technoligies and techniques used to attain desired results, and it offers a two week free trial, if you still have any doubts after trying it, no one's going to come after you and make you buy it ^_^

Increasing the IQ by up to 30 points I believe was the claim, not 30%.

More information can be found here:
http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/overview.php

Testimonials can be found here:
http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/testimonials.php

FAQ:
http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/faq.php

All the information is on the site, and a rather lengthly documentation is included in the trial/application. All I can say is you'll never really know unless you've tried it. I've found myself in a better mood, sleeping better, eating healthier, and generally just more comfortable and less stressed after regular use with this product. I know it sounds impossible or silly, but all I can say is try to keep an open mind and just try it out. Think of it as a type of induced meditation instead of a wonder cure all. I hope this information helps!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You're right - it's not 30% - 30 IQ points is TWO standard deviations on an IQ scale, which is more like 67%.

If this is some sort of meditation aid, then I can buy some of the claims about mood and maybe sleep and appetite (since presumably it has some stress-reduction or anxiety-reduction benefits) but there is nothing that I know of that is going to increase IQ - especially not by anything close to 30 points.

Making such outlandish claims doesn't help the credibility of a product - it just causes me to doubt that the other claims it makes are true.

All I can tell you is it's not my program, so if you want to learn more about it talk to them or go to the forums. I was just posting it here hoping to help someone, not argue about it.

Here's the information on the studies regarding the IQ booster:

http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/learnmore/iq.php

The lower your IQ to begin with, the more results you're likely to see.

From the documentation:

"Drs. Siegfried and Susan Othmer found, in a controlled study, that beta training in the 15-18 range produces average IQ increases of 23 percent. In cases where the starting IQ value is less than 100, the average IQ increase was 33 points! They also found significant improvements in memory, reading and arithmetic. In a one year follow-up, trainees showed major improvements in self-esteem, concentration and self-expression."

"In one study, a group of 8 students significantly increased their GPA over a control group by using audio and visual stimulation."

From the further reading section on the documentation of the IQ booster:

Academic Performance Enhancement with Photic Stimulation and EDR Feedback. Thomas Budzynski, Ph.D., John Jordy, M.Ed., Helen Kogan Budzynski, Ph.D., Hsin-Yi Tang, M.S., and Keith Claypoole, Ph.D.

Exceptional Results with 'Exceptional Children' Lynda Thompson, Ph.D. and Michael Thompson, M.D., Journal Of NeuroTherapy

Electroencephalographic Biofeedback of SMR and Beta for Treatment of Attention Deficit Disorders in a Clinical Setting, Lubar, J. O., and J.F. Lubar. Biofeedback and Self Regulation 9, no. 1 (1984) 1-23

Righting the Rhythms of Reason: EEG Biofeedback Training as a Therapeutic Modality in a Clinical Office Setting. Tansey, M.A., Medical Psychotherapy 3 (1990): 57-68

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
JiggaTrinity said:
All I can tell you is it's not my program, so if you want to learn more about it talk to them or go to the forums. I was just posting it here hoping to help someone, not argue about it.
My apologies, JiggaTrinity. It wasn't clear from your earlier posts if you were trying to market the device and my comments were meant to say that if so it might improve the perceptions of credibility to tone down the claims a bit.

Thank you for posting those articles - I will check out the studies referenced when I get time. I would note, however, that what comes to mind immediately is something called "regression toward the mean", where the farther away from the average a score is, the more it is likely to move on retesting - thus, the finding that lower IQ scores change more than higher ones may reflect that statistical effect.

Also, it is important to remember that IQ scores are estimates of intelligence which can be affected by attitude, mood, and verbal/reading ability, so interventions which affect those factors amy seem to improve IQ because they affect the tests used to measure IQ, rather than providing a true boost to intelligence.

Wait

I don't know if the post above is meant to be sarcastic about the two standard deviations meaning actually 67% increase. The deviation scale for IQ is not the same. I think what im hearing is a 2 point increase on the actual scale we use, and a 30 point increase on the percentile scale which wasn't used after the 1960's. 30 actual point increase maybe likely in someone who is low IQ, but are we talking long term- I dont think so.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Wait

fleabag711 said:
I don't know if the post above is meant to be sarcastic about the two standard deviations meaning actually 67% increase. The deviation scale for IQ is not the same. I think what im hearing is a 2 point increase on the actual scale we use, and a 30 point increase on the percentile scale which wasn't used after the 1960's. 30 actual point increase maybe likely in someone who is low IQ, but are we talking long term- I dont think so.
Hi, Fleabag. I'm sorry but I'm confused by your post.

The website claims:
Numerous studies have found that brainwave stimulation can greatly increase or enhance cognitive abilities.

Drs. Siegfried and Susan Othmer found, in a controlled study, that beta training in the 15-18 range produces average IQ increases of 23 percent. In cases where the starting IQ value is less than 100, the average IQ increase was 33 points! They also found significant improvements in memory, reading and arithmetic. In a one year follow-up, trainees showed major improvements in self-esteem, concentration and self-expression.

Michael Taney used a similar protocol to increase 11 - 19hz in the brains of his subjects. He reported a 19 point average increase in IQ.

In yet another study, 8 students undergoing audio-visual stimulation outperformed a control group and significantly increased their GPA after regular treatment. GPA for the 8 students continued to rise even after treatment, while the group that did not receive treatment saw their GPAs decline.

The Neuro-Programmer IQ/Intelligence Increase Special Session combines the research and methods from many incredibly successful studies on enhancing cognitive abilities with brainwave entrainment or neurofeedback. The Neuro-Programmer increases specific bands of brainwaves over a period of 41 minutes to improve concentration, focus, memory, mental speed, academic performance and IQ.
First, I don't know where to begin with these claims but they strike me as outrageous, to sat the least. Let me take one point: if the research design and methodology has any validity at all, why would the control group show a decline in GPA? What on earth does that mean?

As to the point about "the deviation scale for IQ" not being the same and the "percentile scale" not being used after the 1960s, I don't know what you're talking about here. The term "IQ" referes to a standard score which transforms raw scores on an intelligence test to a standardized scale with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. The average IQ range is then defined as 85 - 115, plus or minus one standard deviation.

When you say, "I think what I'm hearing is a 2 point increase on the actual scale we use", I don't know ehere that comes from -- see the excerpt from the website posted above -- they are not talking about 2-point gains there at all.

True

Yes, it is true that the brainwave therapies really work! It has been proving by the people who use it, but I'm referring to the history of IQ scale, and it is likely that whoever makes a claim of 37% increase is talking about percentile scale which wasnt used after 1960 but the question remains whether they chose to use it? I will find a link that can support this as soon as I can.
Fleabag711

psychguy

IQ Increase

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the board, but thought I would respond to this first, because I happen to know a little bit about EEG and brainwaves.

David Baxter said:
Thank you for posting those articles - I will check out the studies referenced when I get time.

Did you check out the articles? What are your thoughts? I think this could lead to a very interesting discussion :)

I have found many of them:

Research
http://www.mindalive.ca/3_0/study5.htm
Some of the Othmer studies: ADHD/ADD | EEG Education and Research

David Baxter said:
Also, it is important to remember that IQ scores are estimates of intelligence which can be affected by attitude, mood, and verbal/reading ability, so interventions which affect those factors amy seem to improve IQ because they affect the tests used to measure IQ, rather than providing a true boost to intelligence.

It seems to me that these other factors are still worth improving. It also seems like "true" intelligence could be improved if the subjects were suffering from learning disorders in the first place. If not, then I would ask that you give me a definition of true intelligence. If comprehension and organization of thought can be improved using neurofeedback and/or brainwave entrainment in the learning disabled, people suffering from ADHD and other disorders (such as they did in the above studies) would that not be considered a true rise in intelligence in your eyes?

Fleadbag said:
Yes, it is true that the brainwave therapies really work! It has been proving by the people who use it, but I'm referring to the history of IQ scale, and it is likely that whoever makes a claim of 37% increase is talking about percentile scale which wasnt used after 1960 but the question remains whether they chose to use it? I will find a link that can support this as soon as I can.

It looks like they are using the WAIS, WISC, WRAT and TOVA most often. I believe I have also seen Sanford-Binet, VRT and PPVT used.

David Baxter said:
First, I don't know where to begin with these claims but they strike me as outrageous, to sat the least. Let me take one point: if the research design and methodology has any validity at all, why would the control group show a decline in GPA? What on earth does that mean?

If you read the study, it becomes apparent that the students' GPAs were declining to begin with. The subjects were taken from a group of college students who were seeking counselling because of their declining GPAs. From the study:

This study was designed to test the possibility that training with the Biolight, a combined audio/visual stimulation (AVS) and EDR feedback device, would result in positive changes in academic performance. University students who had sought the help of the student counseling staff were divided into two groups of 8 each. The experimental group received 30 sessions of the combined AVS (using only the photic stimulation) and EDR feedback. The control group received no training.

And in the study:

Of course the most important measure was the grade point average or GPA. If academic performance was to be enhanced, the E group would have to have shown a significantly greater increase than the C group after the training and follow up quarter when pre-post GPAs were considered. This is indeed what happened. In fact, the C group appeared to continue a downward course in both GPA and in a number of EEG measures as well. The E group, on the other hand, did not continue on this course but actually increased in their GPAs as well as in their EEG measures.

You may find this study here: http://www.snr-jnt.org/JournalNT/Vol3/JNT(3-3)2.htm

This would be the study causing the most contention here:

From the abstract:

The efficacy of EEG biofeedback in the remediation of attentional deficits and specific learning disabilities is evaluated for a study population of fifteen school-age children in a clinical setting using psychological and academic testing. The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children--Revised (WISC-R) is used in combination with the Wide Range Achievement Test (WRAT), Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test (PPVT), the Tapping Subtest of the Harris Tests of Lateral Dominance, and the Benton Visual Retention Test (VRT). Behavioral changes are assessed by means of teacher and parental reporting. The training protocol is enhancement of EEG activity in the 15-18 Hz regime, with suppression of excessive activity in the 4-7 Hz and 22-30 Hz regions. Significant improvements in cognitive skills, academic performance, and behavior are found, and confirmed in follow-up. Average improvement in WISC-R full-scale IQ was 23 points. A preference for 15-18 Hz training versus 12-15 Hz training is indicated.

Available here: http://www.eegspectrum.com/Applications/ADHD-ADD/ADD-SLD-ACPIntro/

I think the bottom line to all of this is that: marketing material aside, there IS efficacy to brainwave entrainment and EEG-related fields. The claims may be outrageous at first glance, but I think the data has amassed to a point where it is time professionals such as yourself start taking a serious look at this technology, especially with all the negative side effects of ritalin and other all-too-common prescriptions... (at the very least, EEGs could indeed be used to determine if someone even HAS ADD/ADHD to begin with, as the brainwave pattern is quite distinct).

Looking forward to more discussion about this!

It seems more sensible that their improvements in IQ test scores are the result of relaxation, mood etc.. but it would be interesting to see if the efficiacy of brainwave therapy is greater over long term exposure.

ThatLady

I agree with Dr. Baxter. Claims to increase the IQ, especially by such preposterous amounts, leave me with a lingering odor of snake oil.

I also agree with fleabag, in that I can see the possibility that, if this is a meditative device, the calming effects might make people who suffer from anxiety, pain, or some other malady that effects concentration and cognition, a rise in the ability to use the IQ they already have might be seen. If said person were to take an IQ test in an agitated state, then retake it in a calm state, there might well be a difference in the score. It isn't really increasing the IQ as much as it's making it possible for the person to concentrate on the questions and come up with the proper answers. The IQ level doesn't really change, just the test results.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.