More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
NHS PCTs begin psychotherapy rollout [England]
June 16, 2008

Health minister Ivan Lewis today announced the 32 Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) that will begin to roll out psychotherapies around the country.

Each of the PCTs will receive a share of the ?33 million first instalment of new money announced for the purpose by Health Secretary Alan Johnson on World Mental Health Day last year.

The funds will help the NHS create a new workforce that can offer properly supervised low intensity and high intensity therapy, slashing waiting times for this kind of treatment and helping patients achieve a level of recovery that they can clearly see and which is in line with the evidence from clinical trials that has been independently reviewed by the national Institute for health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).

Care Services Minister Ivan Lewis said, "This initiative will transform the way the NHS helps people with depression and anxiety disorders. It will help to reduce the stigma associated with mental health problems. I believe it is one of the most important advances for NHS services in a generation."

Over the next three years, 3,600 extra therapists will be trained and offer treatment to 900,000 people. In the first year, at least 700 therapists will be trained and see around 100,000 people.

PCTs chosen to take part in the first year are:

NHS North West
Eastern and Central Cheshire
Western Cheshire
Knowsley
Salford
East Lancashire

NHS Yorks and Humber
North Lincolnshire
Leeds
East Riding
Sheffield

NHS East of England
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
West Hertfordshire

NHS East Midlands
Nottingham City
Lincolnshire

NHS West Midlands
Dudley
Shropshire
Stoke NHS South West
Bournemouth and Poole
Cornwall and the isles of Scilly
Dorset
Swindon

NHS London
Camden
City and Hackney
Ealing

NHS South East Coast
East Sussex Downs and Weald
Hastings and Rother
Brighton and Hove City
West Kent

NHS North East
South Tyneside
North Tyneside

NHS South Central
Buckinghamshire
Berkshire West

Dudley is the nearest but its still miles away and its also a different area its out of the boundary its comes under Sandwell so they wouldnt be able to take me anyway I have to use facitilies within a certain area.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.